GDT: 2023-24 season game 74 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @6:00pm 4/1/24

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
ok which one of you is Kevin
If I wasn’t out playing hockey myself I would have phoned in. But I know you want a family friendly show and the words I have for our management, coaches and players would not be welcome.

We are being treated to low event hockey that is not fun to watch and then the coaching staff decide to spice things up by blending lines and elevating grinders to flank our only skilled players outside the top line.

After the game Gabe probably walked outside into the freezing air surrounded by homeless meth heads and still had a smile ear to ear knowing that he wasn’t having to deal with our play structure and management.

Sorry I am bitter. I am also a Blue Jays fan and it has not been a good night.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
In all seriousness, does PL even want to play center? he played a lot of wing in Winnipeg where I could use his skating and size to get open and take shots.

I would like to see Byfield move to center with PL on his wing and Arvidson on the other side. Byfield and RV are both excellent passers and create space in unique and different ways. OPL would have to do is get open and wait for the shot, something that we know he can do. I trust Byfield’s two-way game and if he gets tossed out of the face circle PL can take over.

Something I’ve wondered about for quite some time now

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
this idea is getting louder and louder:

Have to buy him out. Can't risk seven more years or a worse buy-out situation later on.

He is not a player to bet on. He has completely lived up to the expectations of those that felt he would float around since he already locked up that contract.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
ok which one of you is Kevin

Oh shit, am I being called out?

ACTUALLY

Kevin called in to say that Blake had done an excellent job of righting the ship and deserved to return as general manger next season so I didn't know if it was GBH or someone just trying to troll the rest of you.

Nevermind, definitely not me. :laugh:

this idea is getting louder and louder:

I thought this would be too crazy maybe like a month or two ago. I no longer think it is crazy. I don't believe in this roster anymore. This guy has nothing to offer. Maybe he has one 60-point year in those 8 he signed, but I wouldn't count on it. At this point, I wouldn't trade any 1st round picks. If you can't find someone dumb enough to take him in the offseason then buy him out.

I hate the idea of another Mike Richards type buyout, far worse even, but this guy is the ultimate dead weight. Easily in the discussion for worst trade in franchise history. This team will not win a single thing with this guy on the roster and his stench will outlast any nuclear firesale rebuild. He has to go. I hope the new GM has the cajones to do it right off the bat - my only prayer for this team at the moment.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would rather give up multiple 1st round assets, plus take on a shorter term bad contract in a trade than buy him out.

Take the pain now, don't draw it out for 14 years.

Unfortunately, the former might not be an option.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I would rather give up multiple 1st round assets, plus take on a shorter term bad contract in a trade than buy him out.

Rather take that cap penalty. Gets softer as the cap increases too.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Someone put clear tape on his blades

And he never took it off
1595882085815.gif

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Also LOL at Akil's postgame interview. Do you think you got more comfortable as you got a couple of shifts? 'Yeah, I think I got two hits and began to feel more comfortable' :laugh: 3:42 ice time. What the f*** are you supposed to ask and what the f*** is he supposed to say? The only possible answer is 'at least I am not Kaliyev.'

To do that, you have to believe the Kings are capable of winning in the near future with him gone. It is a dice roll and beyond costly. Of course, it is also costly to give up that cap space for 14 years too, but if you can't trade him off the team, the Kings have absolutely no shot at winning with him on the team for the next 8 years which is longer than it would even take to full rebuild if they wanted to.

From what I've seen, in my opinion, this isn't the roster to mortgage the future and trade away all your 1sts because of any sort of confidence that they'll win. I think they have to take the L and bite the buyout bullet. Hell, the Islanders are still paying for Rick DiPietro until 2028-29 (not that they've won anything but still, it isn't without precedent).:P

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Rather take that cap penalty. Gets softer as the cap increases too.
Contending teams need every bit of cap space. He'd still be taking up nearly 4M in cap space in 2030. f*** that. You can add Ricahrd's 500K.

If you take the pain now, you can start a rebuild now. We have lots of tradeable assets to rebuild

*I'm assuming if Dubois bought out / traded we're rebuilding

Reactions: mysterman2

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
To do that, you have to believe the Kings are capable of winning in the near future with him gone. It is a dice roll and beyond costly. Of course, it is also costly to give up that cap space for 14 years too, but if you can't trade him off the team, the Kings have absolutely no shot at winning with him on the team for the next 8 years which is longer than it would even take to full rebuild.
No not at all.

What I want is a clean slate. Not a 14 year liability.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
No not at all.

What I want is a clean slate. Not a 14 year liability.
Its hardly a liability and it is well worth it. Its a far better sentence than paying him to bot want to play for 7 more years or eating part of the deal and paying in more assets that the team simply cannot afford to give up. The cupboard is nearly bare again.

$1.8 million for a team that will be out of the playoff contention again in two years is nothing. Its probation vs hard time.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Its hardly a liability and it is well worth it. Its a far better sentence than paying him to bot want to play for 7 more years or eating part of the deal and paying in more assets that the team simply cannot afford to give up. The cupboard is nearly bare again.

$1.8 million for a team that will be out of the playoff contention again in two years is nothing. Its probation vs hard time.
Sometimes in life there are no good options.

All the way way through 2031 we'd have a handicap of 3.3M with Richard factored in as well.

In a trade it would depends on how much we have to give up. PLD + 2024 1st + Prospect for Brendan Gallagher. I'd do it.

Then you can tell Kempe/Kopitar/Doughty/Moore/Danault if they want to win they'll have to do it elsewhere.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Not only does this team suck - they are SOFT as shit.

Sometimes I wish we had Lombardi and Sutter back...

ACTUALLY

Kevin called in to say that Blake had done an excellent job of righting the ship and deserved to return as general manger next season so I didn't know if it was GBH or someone just trying to troll the rest of you.
What drugs is Kevin on? I want some...

Reactions: ru4reals

funky

Mar 9, 2002

Dear Arizona. We have a 6’4 center in his prime, a slightly (rarely) used young sniper and an undersized but skilled 4th line center for you. All we require in return is your 1 year from UFA overachieving center in Bjugstad and your struggling Russian back up goalie.

Helps you reach the cap floor.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Sometimes in life there are no good options.

All the way way through 2031 we'd have a handicap of 3.3M with Richard factored in as well.

In a trade it would depends on how much we have to give up. PLD + 2024 1st + Prospect for Brendan Gallagher. I'd do it.

Then you can tell Kempe/Kopitar/Doughty/Moore/Danault if they want to win they'll have to do it elsewhere.
That prospect would be Byfield or Clarke and there would be more 1st round picks. Trading PLD sets the Kings back to 2019, but without the hope of top prospects.

To rebuild, the buyout is the better option because the buyout cap hit hits 3 million per year 4 seasons from now after Kopitar's and Doughty's contracts have expired. The buyout could help the team meet the salary cap floor. Plus, the Kings retain all assets.

To compete, the cap hit during Kopitar's contract is below 2 million per year. Plus, the Kings retain all assets.

The buyout is simply the best option for any path forward for the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad