GDT: 2023-24 season game 72 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @6:00pm 3/28/24

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kaliyev gets to play...its been tough for him having to play his Off-Wing,not many players can make the adjustment and succeed...I would not be surprised if he's dealt come July 1st or perhaps at the 2024 draft

Kings are going to be in tough tonight because the Oilers will be looking for revenge from the beatdown the Kings gave them last time round
He’s always played his off wing and has said he prefers it.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kings are 1-2-1 against the Oilers this year.

This game didn't tell us anything we didn't already know; the Oilers are better than the Kings. Not by a huge margin, but enough to make our chances of beating them in a PO series relatively low.

Oilers are 3 for 12 on the PP against us this year. 25%. Their overall PP is 27.7% so I guess we're doing okay in that regard.
Scored 4-4 last night and like 15 seconds into their pp the last couple games.

The victory was big save standing on his head.

The goal that really broke them was With 15 seconds left in the 2cd.

LA just doesn’t dictate.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Scored 4-4 last night and like 15 seconds into their pp the last couple games.

The victory was big save standing on his head.

The goal that really broke them was With 15 seconds left in the 2cd.

LA just doesn’t dictate.
It's the whole hockey axiom of "You can't give up a goal in the first or last minute of a period."

Reactions: tny760

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oilers are going to regret winning this game in regulation when they’re playing the Knights instead of an easy first round matchup because they pushed us to the wildcard.

4d chess baby

can't beat us if we're not there

jesus christ if i didn't hate the kings so much the insufferable canadian media would be so fun to smash

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Well, they still showed more fight on the physical side of things v. last year's Anderson concussion game but they looked just as dangerous offensively, which was not dangerous at all.

If they wind up with them in the playoffs again, I would not be surprised to see it only last five games this time. Barring an injury to McDavid or Cry, they can't hang.

Seriously though, we still had an Oiler take a huge and dirty run at one of our top pairing defensemen less than two minutes into the game: just like last year. You'd love to see Englund just go hog on someone but he's signing a death sentence for the rest of the roster if he decides to cross the line since they will be summarily executed out there.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s gotta be Kopitar and Doughty that insist on being a defense first team right?

They won that way and are the highest paid players.

I remember when Stevens was the coach, the initial message was playing more uptempo and then it fell back to defense first. Same with McLellan. He was talked up as the guy who led SJ to one of the best offenses in the league. After a couple lottery picks, it was back to defense first.

We see it work in short stretches, but fall off because most top players aren’t guys who want to be known mostly for defense, with offense as a nice to have as long as the team is winning.

If you’re a talented offensive guy who is making less than guys who preach one thing but can’t win when it counts, then I get why you can’t play defense first all the time.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah the Kings are ruining hockey...for their fans

but i guess the louder the outcry maybe the more likely AEG sees it along with the results and are like "we're spending 50m over the cap for a boring ass shitty first round exit year after year?"

Reactions: chris kontos

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
For a 1-3-1 to work effectively a team needs consistently good goaltending and killer defensemen notsmall puck moving scoring d men playing on thier off sides because mgmt drafted all r handed small d men.
Also someone has to score goals, because in hockey games arent won 0-0.
As an anology let us turnnback to the ny rangers. Cris krieder cant give a rats ass about playing d but he is a puck tipping scoring wizard so he is allowed to play weak defense because he scores.
I dont think the present brain trustunderstands this.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean what a clusterf*** this org is, right

if you want to play 1-3-1 why cheapass on goaltending and go all out on small waterbug forechecking forwards and right handed mostly offensive defenseman and mid sized vanilla LHD

I like our players and picks but you almost couldn't hand pick a worse roster for the vision

#freeKaliyev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad