GDT: 2023-24 season game 72 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @6:00pm 3/28/24

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Plus, I will add that the Canadian media is desperate for a Canadian team to win another Cup and the two top teams rely on offensive superstars like McDavid and Matthews. If those two teams were defensively oriented contenders you wouldn't hear a peep out about soul-sucking.

If the Kings had play-making centers who led the attack, nobody would give a damn about what they do without the puck. But they have two ultra-responsible pivots, a forechecking machine with limited skill in Lizotte and a total misfire in Dubois.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The 1-3-1 sucks when it comes to actually contending in the modern NHL, but like someone said, for a team without true 1st line game-breakers it's the best option. The Kings would not be a playoff team playing the style of hockey that most contenders are playing, they'd give up to many goals and don't have the horses to keep up offensively.

I do think it's a bit strange that the Kings and some the people who cover the team are so over the top defensive about it's effectiveness, "They hate it because it works so well" , I mean the Kings have been a middle of the road type team the last three seasons running it, no playoff series wins, consistent 3rd place division finishes. It's not like it's the NJ Devils trap or the Red Wings left-wing-lock that resulted in actual results. It's ok results for a team with a middling roster, but these guys (and Doughty) act like the Kings are hanging banners from the rafters running it and everyone is pissed.

This loss was a blessing, because the Kings need to do everything they can do get out of the 1st round matchup with the Oilers, it's a draw-dead situation if we play Edmonton. The last 3 years McDavid has 16 multi-point games out of 23 vs the Kings. He along is accounting for at least 2 goals, it makes it where you have to basically shut down everyone else to really give yourself a chance. The Kings can't stop McDavid and don't have the skill to play run and gun with these guys, it's a terrible terrible recipe.

Take the WC and move to the central bracket, we will still be big dogs, but we at least have a chance. Just hope like hell somebody else takes care of Edmonton.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I have heard some say this and being serious. I remember when the same things were said about the last time a player inexplicably collapsed. "You watch, he's going to turn it on in the playoffs". Players don't play this poorly for an entire season and then flip a switch.
:wings

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It's disappointing the Kings didn't hurdle the Oinklers, but I like their chances better if they manage to get the lead first.
The Kings had some decent chances and Skinner was good.
Many of the comments are an angry premature eulogy.
Why get angry by posting here all season long?
Anybody think these comments are going to influence the organization any more than a bowl of fruit loops?
The Kings have not clinched and do not know who they may play.
It will be a mountain to climb but any playoff upset by the team will be even sweeter.
We got rid of McLlelan, after his top secret extension so I already have another glimmer of hope.

Ok, the the latest chapter in the book of meltdowns begin...

Reactions: Wildturkey12

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The Kings were playing 1-3-1 against the Oilers in the playoffs last year while trailing, and not just in dump-in and line changes

Ask yourself this:

How do you implement a 1-3-1 in the middle of a shift WITHOUT dumping the puck in?

Last year in the first two games in which Fiala returned, they tried to run with the Oilers and got crushed after building a big early lead. They went the more conservative route in Game 6, which includes dumping more pucks in instead of trying to carry it in every shift and still got beat.

They didn't lose because of either system, they lost because they didn't have the skill OR perseverance to beat a team with superior talent. The system was irrelevant, they were beat on all fronts.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The next game I watch I will post every time I see the 1-3-1 on an opposing possession. It’s super obvious.

I’ll probably be up around 2000 posts by the end of the season.

I don’t have any data on this, but not only does it force dump ins by the opposition, but it also slows down the Kings offense. If the Kings recover the puck, they’re facing the boards with all five skaters back.
LMAO wow, you really don't know what you are talking about here and it shows......

All 5 skates facing the boards.....and you are serious?You aren't joking?

Yes we know and it is clear as day when they use it. The problem is they blew a lot of leads using this method of protecting. Just the other day they let their foot off the gas and Tampa came back.
They use it situationally like you describe right now and mostly this season but they did use it against Edmonton when trailing in games last years playoff. The announcers were even baffled.

Well how accurate is this?

I have not verified this site, but according to this, Less than Boston, Vancouver, one more than COL

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I can't believe this meme has gained traction. It would be one thing if they were winning with it, but to talk for days so hyperbolically about a mid team barely clinging to a playoff spot is just pathetic. This isn't the 95 Devils.
Forget it, Jake, it's the Canadian media.

Reactions: Fripp

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
The next game I watch I will post every time I see the 1-3-1 on an opposing possession. It’s super obvious.

I’ll probably be up around 2000 posts by the end of the season.

I don’t have any data on this, but not only does it force dump ins by the opposition, but it also slows down the Kings offense. If the Kings recover the puck, they’re facing the boards with all five skaters back.
Combine this with the Kings having seveal dmen at the bottom of the league in failed exits and you have a recipe for very low event hockey.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kaliyev is a natural RWinger and the Kings have been trying to convert him to the LWing
I’m aware. You said “it’s been tough for him having to play his Off-Wing”. He’s a left hand shot, so right wing is his ‘off-wing’.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
it's just one game guys

if you look at every game on a stand alone individual basis, every game, is just one game guys!

this thinking, is how America got destroyed
We lost 3 times to them out of 4 will be worse in 3 weeks. Blake failed again!

It's disappointing the Kings didn't hurdle the Oinklers, but I like their chances better if they manage to get the lead first.
The Kings had some decent chances and Skinner was good.
Many of the comments are an angry premature eulogy.
Why get angry by posting here all season long?
Anybody think these comments are going to influence the organization any more than a bowl of fruit loops?
The Kings have not clinched and do not know who they may play.
It will be a mountain to climb but any playoff upset by the team will be even sweeter.
We got rid of McLlelan, after his top secret extension so I already have another glimmer of hope.

Ok, the the latest chapter in the book of meltdowns begin...
If they manage to get a lead? If my grandma had handlebars she would be a f***ing bicycle.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Got a source for that, couldn't find any kind of stat there
Image-1.png

Probably referring to this, posted a month ago by an editor at Dobber Hockey. 3 in the top 10

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
pretty impressive being league worst in zone exits while also getting the cushiest deployments on the team against the worst competition

why he's still employed is a pretty solid question too

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Typical response , can't have an adult argument so resort to your typical BS, not surprising.

You realize this forum is filled with people posting from all over the world? Even someone like GBH who is ideologically on your side is in Canada, who cares? You do realize that California has seen a large exodus of people leaving the state the last decade or so, which includes many members of this forum? Actually you probably don't realize that, low information people wouldn't, I guess.

I grew up in SoCal and have been a fan of this team since I was in 1st grade, because I chose to move away as a young adult does not mean I can't support the team. If you don't want to read my posts, you can choose to ignore me, like probably dozens of people have done with your posts.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Brown never won anything without Richards, Mitchell, Sutter, etc. either.

I don't think people ever truly grasped just how important those imports were to the cause. There was a legit leader on the ice for nearly every single shift during that run. Not just rah-rah stuff, but players who understood the shift by shift impact of setting the emotional tone of the game. It allowed Kopitar to remain that ice cold steady influence, Doughty to be the overly emotional wildcard and Brown to be.... the Urkle that he was. It was a team loaded to the gills.

What duties are you aware of?
I will always put Williams at the top of that list.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I will always put Williams at the top of that list.

Williams, Stoll and Greene for certain, but I mentioned the other names due to the incredible success rate. I mean, Willie Mitchell won every series he played as a King. Richards was 11-1. Those two came in as perfect catalysts for a team that had already seen two early playoff exits. Its a special distinction.

Williams and Frolov were always my favorites. Grew up as a Kings and Whalers fan (got a pic in my senior yearbook doing a staged trashing of a freshman while proudly sporting my Ulfie jersey), celebrated the hell out of the Canes Cup win and was absolutely ecstatic when we got him. I understood why they couldn't afford him, but that dude could never be replicated. Lots of players nowadays love to win, but how many can you definitively point at and say that they hate losing even more? Its a dying art.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
View attachment 843345

Probably referring to this, posted a month ago by an editor at Dobber Hockey. 3 in the top 10
Notice a pattern in those players? The majority are stay at homers who look to clear instead of breaking out.

Its a "so what?" kind of stat that doesn't really say anything. The value of a big, physical defender isn't going to be measured by the amount of breakouts he launches. You just don't need them trying that from the slot and the boards.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Notice a pattern in those players? The majority are stay at homers who look to clear instead of breaking out.

Its a "so what?" kind of stat that doesn't really say anything. The value of a big, physical defender isn't going to be measured by the amount of breakouts he launches. You just don't need them trying that from the slot and the boards.
Successful zone exits and failed exits aren't really what you'd call "nothing" stats even for big physical stay at home guys. This is todays NHL, regardless of their role, failed zone exits still has implications in the teams transition game and successfully moving the puck out so you don't get hemmed in your own zone. Having 3 in the top 10 isn't exactly favorable, could definitely effect overall team performance and the ability for the forwards to generate offense. Saying it's "so what?" tells me you couldn't care if these stats improved or not, while for me, I'd say theres definitely room for improvement

I understand what you mean under the context of specifically which of our players are in the top 10, but at the very least this still falls under the "might be important" category of advanced stats, and anything that "might be important" is worth looking at especially for a middling team like the 2024 LA Kings

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Typical response , can't have an adult argument so resort to your typical BS, not surprising.

You realize this forum is filled with people posting from all over the world? Even someone like GBH who is ideologically on your side is in Canada, who cares? You do realize that California has seen a large exodus of people leaving the state the last decade or so, which includes many members of this forum? Actually you probably don't realize that, low information people wouldn't, I guess.

I grew up in SoCal and have been a fan of this team since I was in 1st grade, because I chose to move away as a young adult does not mean I can't support the team. If you don't want to read my posts, you can choose to ignore me, like probably dozens of people have done with your posts.
:kings

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I’m aware. You said “it’s been tough for him having to play his Off-Wing”. He’s a left hand shot, so right wing is his ‘off-wing’.
No his Wing position coming out of Juniors was RWing and now the Kings are trying to convert him to LeftWing...tough adjustment when all his Life he's been a RWinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad