GDT: 2023-24 season game 64 LA Kings vs New York Islanders @7:30pm 3/11/24

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
We're going to win this game and it's good to win, but this is probably the most glaring example of a game that exposes the organization here. It's even more glaring than a lot of our losses. Counting the playoffs they have 20 something games to go and they've shortened the bench to the point of, someone at some point is going to get a fatigue injury and it's going to tank our season even more than it already is. The interim coach is a moron who can't decide who should be playing on lines with each other. Actually there's a lot of stupid things that he's done but we're winning more than we're losing so nobody will care until the playoffs.

I don't think they're gonna fire Blake anyway and this interim coach is going to give him some cover, so hopefully we win a round cause there's nothing else we can get out of this season as it stands right now.

The problem is still a lack of talent on this roster, they have a nice quantity of above average to pretty good players, but nobody even resembling a star scorer like the teams we are competing with. I think they know now that they are going to have grind out 3-2 and 2-1 wins if they have any chance of doing anything in the postseason.

Last edited:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Glad they pulled it together after the 1st. Hopefully this win over the Islanders gives them a psychological boost.
I think it was the lost on the Island that started the horrid downfall with Todd. Hopefully it goes the other way this time.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Solid win, Rittich looked about as perfect as a goalie can get. But I'm not sure what Turcotte or Moverare did to warrant their benching. Lewis with a shit penalty, Englund can't clear the zone which almost leads to a goal, and Lizotte gets a puck to the face, yet Turcs or Move are nowhere to be seen. I guess Hiller just likes to play guys that seem like they're feeling it more...

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The problem is still a lack of talent on this roster, they have a nice quantity of above average to pretty players, but nobody even resembling a star scorer like the teams we are competing with. I think they know now that they are going to have grind out 3-2 and 2-1 wins if they have any chance of doing anything in the postseason.
They wont be able to grind out a series vs teams like Vegas Edmonton Vancouver Dallas and Colorado.
Those teams can skate with the Kings and have a size/physicality advantage.
If they want to grind theyll have to do it in a more offensive way like shooting and crashing the net and running goalies.

Reactions: ru4reals

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We're potentially selling off games down the road so we can win these ones. Five forwards over 18 minutes tonight in a 3-0 hockey game. That is a lot.
My thoughts exactly. Invest now, collect the dividends later.

The coach needs to be thinking about prepping and optimizing for the playoffs.

It won't much matter if this team lands in the P2 slot or the WC2 slot if we don't have line combos figured out and appropriate roles for each player.

Reactions: The Pale King

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm happy for Rittich.

He's playing for another contract. Looks like he'll get one.

For some reason I though he was older. He's only 31.
I think you let Talbot walk, re-sign Rittich and re-sign Copley(yes I said it), if his rehab goes accordingly. Rittich/Copley can battle for the backup job in training camp/preseason and they can acquire a #1 goalie in FA/Draft.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
They wont be able to grind out a series vs teams like Vegas Edmonton Vancouver Dallas and Colorado.
Those teams can skate with the Kings and have a size/physicality advantage.
If they want to grind theyll have to do it in a more offensive way like shooting and crashing the net and running goalies.
Said it before this team is built for the first two months of the season run. Huge glaring issue many have mentioned about is how soft this team is. I can't imagine the playoff starts and we play ANY team from the west. Most are bigger, tougher and wear their opponents down. Poor Lizzo the pounding he took from Edmonton the past two playoffs. Ouch. But still more games to play so hope they actually make it first.

Reactions: Schmooley

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think you let Talbot walk, re-sign Rittich and re-sign Copley(yes I said it), if his rehab goes accordingly. Rittich/Copley can battle for the backup job in training camp/preseason and they can acquire a #1 goalie in FA/Draft.

I am fine with resigning Rittich as a backup and letting Talbot walk, but I think they need to target a legit #1, doesn't have to be a franchise goalie, but they should get someone with a little pedigree if the can. Of course, it is unlikely given the position Blake has this team in and given current goaltender prices around the league, but it should be a goal.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Said it before this team is built for the first two months of the season run. Huge glaring issue many have mentioned about is how soft this team is. I can't imagine the playoff starts and we play ANY team from the west. Most are bigger, tougher and wear their opponents down. Poor Lizzo the pounding he took from Edmonton the past two playoffs. Ouch. But still more games to play so hope they actually make it first.
Kings will make the playoffs, but it could be anywhere from 3rd in the Division to Wild Card 2.

Reactions: ru4reals

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The problem is still a lack of talent on this roster...
I think the problem is also a lack of imagination and creativity at the GM and coaching level. Scratching Clarke, sitting Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo.. there are things they could try but they are dead set on their central planning schemes based on their vet biases they cant get away from.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I am fine with resigning Rittich as a backup and letting Talbot walk, but I think they need to target a legit #1, doesn't have to be a franchise goalie, but they should get someone with a little pedigree if the can. Of course, it is unlikely given the position Blake has this team in and given current goaltender prices around the league, but it should be a goal.
If I were Blake, I would keep very close eyes on Samsonov in the offseason. He becomes a FA, is age 27 and his cap hit right now is $3.5 million. Leafs have Woll on a cheap $775k contract for another season. Samsonov will not get much of a raise based on his GAA/SV% for this season. They could go Woll and Jones to backup or might go big on a #1. Kings could probably sign Samsonov on a 2 year deal somewhere between $3.5 - $4 million per year and I would trade a pick to the Leafs to get his rights! Rittich I would probably give him 2 years @ $1.2 per. Copley 1 year @ league min(I feel he won't be getting offers from other teams, but is good for the Kings/Reign for goaltending depth).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The problem is still a lack of talent on this roster, they have a nice quantity of above average to pretty players, but nobody even resembling a star scorer like the teams we are competing with. I think they know now that they are going to have grind out 3-2 and 2-1 wins if they have any chance of doing anything in the postseason.
Kings have a lot of talent. The Knight got by just fine. Kings play a stale brand of hockey that is passed down from GM to the team. Kings have a philosophy issue not a talent issue.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
If I were Blake, I would keep very close eyes on Samsonov in the offseason. He becomes a FA, is age 27 and his cap hit right now is $3.5 million. Leafs have Woll on a cheap $775k contract for another season. Samsonov will not get much of a raise based on his GAA/SV% for this season. They could go Woll and Jones to backup or might go big on a #1. Kings could probably sign Samsonov on a 2 year deal somewhere between $3.5 - $4 million per year and I would trade a pick to the Leafs to get his rights! Rittich I would probably give him 2 years @ $1.2 per. Copley 1 year @ league min(I feel he won't be getting offers from other teams, but is good for the Kings/Reign for goaltending depth).
At this point I could see the Kings targeting Jones. That takes away a few guaranteed losses next season, don't think any goalie has ever had our number like him.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
We're potentially selling off games down the road so we can win these ones. Five forwards over 18 minutes tonight in a 3-0 hockey game. That is a lot.
It's quickly becoming a yealry self fulfilling prophecy at this point regarding the younger players.

The staff refuses to play them, even in games like this, then the veterans are exhausted come playoff time.
Another 1st round loss leads to the exit interviews where the staff claims the younger players weren't ready to play, and the team lacks depth. Rinse, repeat for another season.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Portillo will be 24. He should be in the NHL next year.

Reactions: chris kontos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad