GDT: 2023-24 season game 42 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @7:00pm 1/18/24

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Remember when the team was crushing it and we were rolling four pretty even lines and we were praising Todd for doing the right thing finally?

IMG_0076.gif

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I've mentioned Middleton a few times when talking about how many 7th round picks LA hit on in a relatively short time span.

There was really no reason to give him a contract on the time. Prospects like him are a dime a dozen. We have a few Middletons playing in Ontario right now. See Cole Krygier.
Of course there was a reason to give him a contract. It's called development. He's an NHLer now and he's into his 3rd full season as an NHLer. The question was: why did the Kings give up on him? A scouting failure, etc ?? Evidently he had NHL potential the Kings didn't see. Not to answer my own question, but maybe that was the failure, the Kings didn't see his potential. evidently they dropped the ball. Didn't need to is just ignorant. They could use better analyzers / developers / scouts if that's the case.

Reactions: mysterman2

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That does sound pretty familiar.

Some of us have used the word "pride" (lack of) when describing PLD this year, and Bowness literally mentioned lack of pride in the clip. A coincidence I guess.

Blaming PLD for this mess is not correct, and giving the Jets credit in moving him to solve theirs isn't correct either. The dude is just one part, especially in WPG , where Scheifele, Conner , the goalie and other were just as bad as PLD and lack the heart too. They were all but ready to run Scheifele out on a rail at the end of last year. PLD has caused cap flexibility problems for sure [and sucked so far], but he's not out there on defense unable to connect two simple plays together, having 9 out 10 shots blocked, or making a risky pinch at the blueline that leads to breakaways. Tonights passing was attrocious once again, especially during the outnumbered attacks.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Of course there was a reason to give him a contract. It's called development. He's an NHLer now and he's into his 3rd full season as an NHLer. The question was: why did the Kings give up on him? A scouting failure, etc ?? Evidently he had NHL potential the Kings didn't see. Not to answer my own question, but maybe that was the failure, the Kings didn't see his potential. evidently they dropped the ball. Didn't need to is just ignorant. They could use better analyzers / developers / scouts if that's the case.

He was drafted in 2014 , 10 years ago, and like most 7th, didn't make the team out of camp. He bounced around the sharks org for 9 years, playing only 59 pro games. That's not good. Now he found a spot in Minn, and he's doing ok.
Nobody is crying about him not being a King. He's a dime a dozen 7th rounder as someone said, who took 10 years to develop . I had no idea he who he was, or even was drafted by us.

Reactions: apadilla

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
@AbsentMojo this game was what I was talking about in lack of details, couldn't make a simple 10 foot pass with no pressure,

Beginning of the 2nd, going to break out, Kopitar doesn't open up to receive the pass, wants to look behind him and hope the puck catches up, turnover, another 30-40 seconds in the zone.

They had spurts where they played well, and they had spurts where they sucked donkey balls, that's not really a systems issue, it's a I don't wanna do the little things right issue, it's a motivation issue, and eventually (sooner rather than later at this point) will turn into a coaching issue, if he can't keep them on the path of doing the simple things, then he's toast....

Reactions: AbsentMojo

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Kings getting the better of play, Dubois gets a break, mishandles the puck, glides into the corner and allows the Preds to be the first to the puck, reaches, trips player, Preds score the first goal of the game on the ensuing power play.

Good stuff, Dude, great job.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually feel for Kopitar right now, being the first one out saying I need to be better

like bro 23 minutes is an elite #1 dman's playing time, we know you've got more to give

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Blaming PLD for this mess is not correct, and giving the Jets credit in moving him to solve theirs isn't correct either. The dude is just one part, especially in WPG , where Scheifele, Conner , the goalie and other were just as bad as PLD and lack the heart too. They were all but ready to run Scheifele out on a rail at the end of last year. PLD has caused cap flexibility problems for sure [and sucked so far], but he's not out there on defense unable to connect two simple plays together, having 9 out 10 shots blocked, or making a risky pinch at the blueline that leads to breakaways. Tonights passing was attrocious once again, especially during the outnumbered attacks.

Ha

PLD's attitude and demeanor is like a cancer that spreads throughout the team. That's the point people are making here. It's what happens when there aren't enough true leaders on the team. Jets have a GM who was determined to figure out what happened in that locker room.

WPG removed the cancer and they even re-signed all of their supposed problems to long term, big money deals. Jets management determined that PLD was the root cause of the issues and sent him packing to the Kings for quite the haul.

Kings need to be as decisive as the Jets were. Buyout PLD at the earliest opportunity or trade him for another team's bad contract.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
At this point Im not so sure blake is purposely sabotaging the team....if he trades spence or clarke and a #1 pick for an aging vet in a lame attempt for a playoff push you know the fix is in. On another note- had JAD centered Vilardi and Iafallo im positive hed have roughly as many points as PLD.

As for Tmac....guy had a dozen or so opportunities to call a time out over the road trip and never did. He gets called out by Ferraro for not taking his TO with under 2 minutes....finally does decide to take one with 7 seconds.

A comedy of errors from GM to Coach.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I actually feel for Kopitar right now, being the first one out saying I need to be better

like bro 23 minutes is an elite #1 dman's playing time, we know you've got more to give
I would love to see what Kopitar could do on a contending team as a 2C with some limitations on his minutes. I also would have loved to see the Kings have the assets from such a move.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
@AbsentMojo this game was what I was talking about in lack of details, couldn't make a simple 10 foot pass with no pressure,

Beginning of the 2nd, going to break out, Kopitar doesn't open up to receive the pass, wants to look behind him and hope the puck catches up, turnover, another 30-40 seconds in the zone.

They had spurts where they played well, and they had spurts where they sucked donkey balls, that's not really a systems issue, it's a I don't wanna do the little things right issue, it's a motivation issue, and eventually (sooner rather than later at this point) will turn into a coaching issue, if he can't keep them on the path of doing the simple things, then he's toast....
Agree - it looks like a team that is not bought in anymore.. like early season Oilers who had a severe case of that. Its also is a really dense stretch of games and they arent easing up at all on Kopi and DD... who both look ragged.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Todd is nervous, hence riding his trusty old mares(11&8) until they're dead. He's done this in the past and its never worked out. Great, say they squeak into the playoffs, 11 and 8 will be toast like they've been the last couple seasons.
Gotta try a different approach since the old approach has never truly worked. Sit some vets, play some youth, change pairings, find a heartbeat, hit a slump buster. They're losing anyway, so why not see what's you got. This same sh*t and method is totally uninteresting because it doesn't F-ing work.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Todd is nervous, hence riding his trusty old mares(11&8) until they're dead. He's done this in the past and its never worked out. Great, say they squeak into the playoffs, 11 and 8 will be toast like they've been the last couple seasons.
Yep. Every time things get tense he reverts to overplaying vets.

If your philosophy headed into this year was to roll the lines to keep everyone fresh, you've gotta stick to the plan through thick and thin.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I would love to see what Kopitar could do on a contending team as a 2C with some limitations on his minutes. I also would have loved to see the Kings have the assets from such a move.
Could you imagine...

Lafferriere / Byfield / Kempe
Vilardi / Kopitar / Kaliyev
Moore / Danault / Arvidsson
Grundstrom / Lizotte / Fagemo

Anderson / Doughty
Faber / Clarke
Englund /Spence

Iafallo, Roy, JAD, and whoever else trade bait for a goalie... Sure some guys are playing on their wrong side but no assets given up for Fiala, Gavrikov (who i love, but the first was stupid...) and especially PLf***ingD. FML.

Reactions: mysterman2

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Could you imagine...

Lafferriere / Byfield / Kempe
Vilardi / Kopitar / Kaliyev
Moore / Danault / Arvidsson
Grundstrom / Lizotte / Fagemo

Anderson / Doughty
Faber / Clarke
Englund /Spence

Iafallo, Roy, JAD, and whoever else trade bait for a goalie... Sure some guys are playing on their wrong side but no assets given up for Fiala, Gavrikov (who i love, but the first was stupid...) and especially PLf***ingD. FML.
Fair point regarding your suggested lineup. Sadly, that ship has sailed.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
You can't give every single player you draft a contract.

Are you upset the Kings didn't sign Chaz Reddekopp?

Go to the Lightning board and ask them why they didn't give Cole Krygier a contract.

I agree. It's just a coincidence it happened to PLD's teams two years in a row.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Agree - it looks like a team that is not bought in anymore.. like early season Oilers who had a severe case of that. Its also is a really dense stretch of games and they arent easing up at all on Kopi and DD... who both look ragged.
Could very well be not bought in, but if you aren't buying in to basic fundamentals, no coach is gonna change that, that's a player issue, seriously, how do you buy in to a fundamental of opening up your self to an outlet pass, or making an accurate pass with no pressure on you, what is there to buy into? I think it's half laziness, half, cockiness which should have been wiped about 8 games ago.....maybe changing coaches works, not sure...

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Could very well be not bought in, but if you aren't buying in to basic fundamentals, no coach is gonna change that, that's a player issue, seriously, how do you buy in to a fundamental of opening up your self to an outlet pass, or making an accurate pass with no pressure on you, what is there to buy into? I think it's half laziness, half, cockiness which should have been wiped about 8 games ago.....maybe changing coaches works, not sure...
When its team-wide issue I look at the coach.. but you could also point to the leadership group on the team. I would also point to overusing 8 and 11 when you could be having more faith in guys like Byfield give him a line or something. Kopi has 1 5x5 goal since Thanksgiving and yet you are playing him 23 minutes a night. I personally would give Byfield Kopi's PK assignment. The kid has endless stamina, reach and wheels. Things like that Todd will never try. His solution is ride the vets harder.

Reactions: ibleedkings

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
When its team-wide issue I look at the coach.. but you could also point to the leadership group on the team. I would also point to overusing 8 and 11 when you could be having more faith in guys like Byfield give him a line or something. Kopi has 1 5x5 goal since Thanksgiving and yet you are playing him 23 minutes a night. I personally would give Byfield Kopi's PK assignment. The kid has endless stamina, reach and wheels. Things like that Todd will never try. His solution is ride the vets harder.

Not gonna look up the 5v5 goal since Thanksigiving, but the ice time isn't correct, he's still averaging 19:31 per game, not 23.

He played 15 minutes vs Dallas, 17 vs Tampa, a few 21 in there,

23 minutes he played last night was the most of the season....

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Not gonna look up the 5v5 goal since Thanksigiving, but the ice time isn't correct, he's still averaging 19:31 per game, not 23.

He played 15 minutes vs Dallas, 17 vs Tampa, a few 21 in there,

23 minutes he played last night was the most of the season....
I used last nights TOI as an example of what not to do esp after a long road trip. Someone told me Thanksgiving re PPG, looked it up it was actually 12/19 - thats still quite a drought

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
At this point Im not so sure blake is purposely sabotaging the team....if he trades spence or clarke and a #1 pick for an aging vet in a lame attempt for a playoff push you know the fix is in. On another note- had JAD centered Vilardi and Iafallo im positive hed have roughly as many points as PLD.

As for Tmac....guy had a dozen or so opportunities to call a time out over the road trip and never did. He gets called out by Ferraro for not taking his TO with under 2 minutes....finally does decide to take one with 7 seconds.

A comedy of errors from GM to Coach.
russell asked him about the timeout postgame and todd didn't even realize there was an opportunity to take one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad