GDT: 2023-24 Season game 4 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00pm 10/19/23

KOPITARRULEZ11

Apr 2, 2012
Minnesota
Another enjoyable game in the Twin Cities, if you’ve never taken in a game, highly recommended.

I love PLD, he fits this team like a glove. He was overdrafted and will never live up to where he was taken in the draft, but he’s a damn good 2nd line player. I think we are a better lineup with PLD/Kaliyev/Laf and $2.5m less space than with Vilardi/Iafallo/Kupari. C depth is a tough thing to get and the Kings have 3 guys capable of centering a line that can score.

The Kings just present such a challenge to check because of the skill level of the 2nd and 3rd lines. Even if the top line gets cancelled out, which may happen against top checkers, how do you contain the other lines, you have Fiala and PLD as great secondary scorers and Danault/Moore are now your third offensive option, they may not have been good as second options but as third? They are elite. Another reason to love that trade and bringing in a true 2C.

Moore is playing great, but to me that just means if you can use him for a goalie down the road you still do it if his value is back fo where it was 2 years ago. Moore was a negative asset last year based on his cap hit, and so far this year he’s been producing at a level that makes him a big value.

The goaltending is probably not going to hold up in the playoffs, the playoffs don’t grind to a 2-1 or 3-2 halt as much as they used to or people still think, but the games do get slightly less scoring. I still think Moore or Roy dealt and replaced by a competent #1 and then either Turcotte or Clarke. I do worry a bit about counting on Turcotte for offense (especially with how Moore is scoring).

The total for this game was 6 again (no sweat with 6 in the first. Lol, I’m hoping this is 2011-2012 all over again except instead of unders it’s overs (also more enjoyable to watch). 36 total goals in 4 games vs 24.5 Vegas expected.

Btw, speaking of a team playing a lot like the Kings right now? Carolina is up to 48 goals total in 5 games. It feels like we have returned to the early 90’s.
I wasn't able to go this season had to work I usually try to go once a year but glad the boys pulled one out.

Reactions: Herby

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
PLD first goal against Minny is the difference between him and Vilardi. Vilardi has the size and hands, but PLD has the speed and strength to blow pass defenders and fight them off for that goal. Big fan of Gabe but it's Vilardi's lack of speed that will keep him from reaching another level.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Two wins in a row, points in last 3, 18 goals in that span, everyone contributing, Talbot looking strong after shaky start -- a lot of good right now and all anyone can talk about is how they think Byfield has been 'mishandled'....lol

Oh, here's a fun fact -- PL has as many goals as Vilardi/Iafallo/Kupari combined to start season.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
PLD first goal against Minny is the difference between him and Vilardi. Vilardi has the size and hands, but PLD has the speed and strength to blow pass defenders and fight them off for that goal. Big fan of Gabe but it's Vilardi's lack of speed that will keep him from reaching another level.
Like PLD and Gabe but Vilardi needs to keep working on his Skating and lower body strength or else like you said he'll never reach a higher level and just be a PP guy

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
The biggest head scratcher is why Byfield wasn’t put between Fiala and Vilardi last season to see what they have at center with him.
It was such a shame we never saw that line.

The fact that a player like Leo Carlson has played his first nhl game already and scored a goal is a big deal that lays credence to the questioning of the Kings development team.
Definitely. And they slotted him into a role right away that says "we trust you and believe you're ready" - I really believe that goes a long way with these young players.

Carlsson playing 1st line center with Zegras and Terry on his wings in his debut - That's setting a young player up for success.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
And to think we thought that TM was going to bury Kaliyev in the AHL....ready to say sorry yet?
To be fair, AK34 is only playing on that line because Arvi is put hurt. When he returns, that will change and a lineup/roster decision will need to made. In the meantime, it's great opportunity he's given with the unfortunate injury.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
To be fair, AK34 is only playing on that line because Arvi is put hurt. When he returns, that will change and a lineup/roster decision will need to made. In the meantime, it's great opportunity he's given with the unfortunate injury.
To be fair, he was penciled in to start the season with Fiala/PLD….so what’s the difference? Top line minutes no matter how you want to spin it. You mean TM isn’t the devil?! Say it ain’t so…

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
To be fair, he was penciled in to start the season with Fiala/PLD….so what’s the difference? Top line minutes no matter how you want to spin it. You mean TM isn’t the devil?! Say it ain’t so…
Wow, can you drama Queen even more.
And again, brilliant usage of taking some comment and completely changing it to fit your never-ending one beat drumming narrative. It's like your paid by the Kings to hammer home this TM loving theme.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Wow, can you drama Queen even more.
And again, brilliant usage of taking some comment and completely changing it to fit your never-ending one beat drumming narrative. It's like your paid by the Kings to hammer home this TM loving theme.
What narrative? You specifically said that AK was only getting top line minutes because of an injury = NOT TRUE

And the original dude I was responding to, in which you tried to jump in and somehow correct me, has posts specifically accusing TM of trying to bury Kaliyev. Absolutely false and gross accusations. I can screenshot the posts if you’d like….

But it’s my narrative? lol

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
kaliyev just can't seem to create much himself right now
Please, can we all understand once and for all, Kaliyev is not made to create for himself, he is an elite shooter and passer…he is made to score by working with talented players who do more of the dirty work and clever skating.
Let him be who he is, what he is.
Can the Kings and their fans please stop trying to make every skater a checker or a razzle-dazzle skater?
The Kings were gifted a draft choice that never should have fallen that far…I was screaming for the Kings to take Kaliyev when they took Bjornfot.
Put that elite talent with other talent and watch him score...he is an offensive savant and should be treated as such. Watching everything but that, until now, has driven me crazy since draft day.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

It's tough, I think the longer Arvidsson is out....the better....which is weird to say given he's a good player/scorer, I just think what they have now, needs to simmer and stir, maybe a maintenance day off for the older guys but other than that, I wouldn't change a single thing, and IF Arvidsson is back in late Feb/March, go from there......I don't think they resign him, or hope they don't resign him, considering what is floating to the top

Reactions: Statto

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Playing time and deployment has a lot to do with Byfield's confidence, but it's certainly not just that. He came into a situation where there were two really good centers, one going into the HOF. It's much easier for a high pick to come into a team where there aren't expectations and they can just play and not worry about things. They already start at the top of the food chain.

It's one of the reasons (besides his talent) that Zegras could do what he did in his first season. No one gave a flying f*** that he was a tire fire defensively and did stupid stuff on the ice because they already knew they would be at the very bottom. Talent and flash aside, if he did that stuff on a disciplined veteran team with winning aspirations his ass would be stapled to the bench a few times.

Either way they have to learn both of those aspects of the game. They have to learn how to translate their game and produce, and they need to learn how to do the right thing at the right time and make the correct decisions that leads to the team winning, not just the stat sheet. Doesn't matter what order it's done in. Byfield should have 3 points this year, he's gotten screwed a bit. But regardless the lack of points is frustrating. But that aspect about doing things to help the team win he has in absolute spades.

The jury is still out but the way he is playing the points are starting to come. Things are carrying over from last year's playoffs where he played really well. So far he's only been on the ice for 1 goal against and 5 for in all situations, getting a really good feeling about him.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Pretty remarkable to score 7 goals, and I don't think the Kings (outside of Talbot and the PK) played all that well the final 40 minutes

Didn't look as sharp last night vs how they looked against WPG, but you are never gonna have 100% consistency so when you win games like that, it's a bonus....Minnesota looked better than I thought they would given they were missing Boldy and Spurgeon

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
We do not know if Arvi ever going to play for Kings again…

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00