GDT: 2023-24 season game 30 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @7:00pm 12/23/23

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This. The Kings can easily find themselves out of a playoff spot in a matter of a couple weeks...then how do the players and management respond?
So basically every team can easily find themselves out of a playoff spot in a matter of a couple of weeks.

No offense but what is this.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I hate with critics say PLD is going other things and use that as an excuse for this lack of production.

Though, the one thing is he is playing less minutes because of PLD now. That, along w this two year deal, he seems reborn.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
not the prettiest win, but I'll take it. Loved QB blowing by Hanifin to get the puck and score the EN.
He also out muscled him
In addition to the speed he used leverage to just dust him aside.

And he is only 21 :) Happy Holidays to us LA Kings fans. He is that gift you sometimes get that takes a little longer to enjoy.

Glad we didn't re-gift him to another team :)

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Two things from the game. Even after the goal PLD looked like a guy not happy with his own play… that encourages me.
I’d sit Spence for a couple of games for two reasons. 1. To see where Clarke is at. 2. Send a message to Spence that he needs to tighten up; I’m not talking about a permanent change unless he doesn’t then respond.
Always liked your takes, Statto.

Reactions: David Lunch

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Two things from the game. Even after the goal PLD looked like a guy not happy with his own play… that encourages me.
I’d sit Spence for a couple of games for two reasons. 1. To see where Clarke is at. 2. Send a message to Spence that he needs to tighten up; I’m not talking about a permanent change unless he doesn’t then respond.
Agree — I feel like Spence is going through a similar phase as Laffy had before sitting — going from noticeably good to unnoticeably fine for several games, and now is slipping into making a few very noticeable mistakes per game. I also completely agree this is a perfect opportunity to reward Clark and see where he’s at.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Always liked your takes, Statto.
Thanks.

I just try to stay balanced in my view. I’ve been closely involved in pro-hockey which does not make me an expert. However, it did teach me that the perception of fans is often a long way from what is actually happening behind the scenes. It’s easy to get frustrated and emotional but I try to keep that out of my posts. I tend to think about two things in life... one of them is hockey LOL.

I hated losing GV, rooting for him and backing him since day one throughput his injury troubles. However I was ok with getting PLD and can see there’s a mixed bag in there where he is playing the system well but isn’t quite clicking production wise. I think he will get better, I really do although I share the frustration.

Had Turcotte not been hurt I feel strongly he needed a look by now, to assess firstly but to help Laf with some time in ONT. He’s done well but I think it’d help him, just for a handful of games. There’s a case for using Fagemo instead of Turcotte for the same reason.

I stand by what I said about sending Spence down for a week. I’d also give Bjornfot a look in the near future. They need to make a decision before the TDL unless they have done so already. I still think there is untapped upside there.

Byfield will end up a genuine Elite player.

My final takes before Christmas.

Happy Christmas all, may the holidays make you all more positive.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Thanks.

I just try to stay balanced in my view. I’ve been closely involved in pro-hockey which does not make me an expert. However, it did teach me that the perception of fans is often a long way from what is actually happening behind the scenes. It’s easy to get frustrated and emotional but I try to keep that out of my posts. I tend to think about two things in life... one of them is hockey LOL.

I hated losing GV, rooting for him and backing him since day one throughput his injury troubles. However I was ok with getting PLD and can see there’s a mixed bag in there where he is playing the system well but isn’t quite clicking production wise. I think he will get better, I really do although I share the frustration.

Had Turcotte not been hurt I feel strongly he needed a look by now, to assess firstly but to help Laf with some time in ONT. He’s done well but I think it’d help him, just for a handful of games. There’s a case for using Fagemo instead of Turcotte for the same reason.

I stand by what I said about sending Spence down for a week. I’d also give Bjornfot a look in the near future. They need to make a decision before the TDL unless they have done so already. I still think there is untapped upside there.

Byfield will end up a genuine Elite player.

My final takes before Christmas.

Happy Christmas all, may the holidays make you all more positive.
I believe Bjornfot still can be >Spence and he will definitely >Moverare

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah, it's not a 'get rid of him' benching, it's a sit and watch for a few games, get your head together, watch some video break. Those are important. Spence has always grown astronomically (much like Faber, if at a lower level), I don't doubt this is just a speedbump.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Agree — I feel like Spence is going through a similar phase as Laffy had before sitting — going from noticeably good to unnoticeably fine for several games, and now is slipping into making a few very noticeable mistakes per game. I also completely agree this is a perfect opportunity to reward Clark and see where he’s at.
Seen Clarke play and Offensively he's very good,Defensively not so good! And since you have to play some semblance of D...he should be left in Ontario to ply his trade and get better...Kings could always use Bjornfot on the Right side

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
because he was good when he was here… much better than PLD… you make it sound like people are saying what if McDavid was here instead. Kings standings has nothing to do with whether or not PLD was a good acquisition. Vilardi was performing great for the Kings when he got traded and PLD has objectively been awful. Can you comprehend that or are you going to try fabricate another story loosely on a fact?

The Kings also weren't tied for 2nd overall in the league at Christmas 2022. Today last year, the Kings had played 7 more games and were 14th overall. At least we agree that I'm using facts, even slightly, not just imagination.

I don't care who is on the team if they're doing well. It can be the guy they drafted and developed for half a dozen years, or the mercenary they just brought it 3 seconds ago. If the guy is taking up $3m, or $8m, if the team is winning, I don't care. I don't care if Vilardi was doing great when they traded him. They chose to trade him, so I'm willing to let whatever is to happen, happen, before I condemn it. I'd do the same if they didn't make the trade and still weren't using Vilardi correctly, and were still forcing Iafallo onto the 1st line. I don't project my own personal wants onto what they choose to do.

Does it matter that they're higher in the standings on 12/24/23 than they were 12/24/22? Probably not, because all that ultimately matters is April, May, and June. But they're 2nd overall in the league. I'm not going to cry about some trade they made last summer, or about Faber either. If any team at this point is considered a contender, the Kings would have to be one of them. Tied for 2nd overall, and 2nd overall in goal differential. What more do we want? Is the home record great? No. Is the road record ridiculous? Yes. Could they lose more on the road? Yes. Win more at home? Yes.

Imagine Byfield and Vilardi together. Ok. That takes Byfield off the 1st line, so who's there instead? Is the line as good as it's been? What line is Fiala on? Is Arvidsson playing? Is he likely sitting out due to cap reasons? Probably not? The $4m for Iafallo and $3m for Vilardi is essentially Dubois's hit, so I don't know what would be going on.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Feeling Great that Byfield has upped his game and starting to become the player that most envisioned...keep up the great work and netfront presence...Now to get Kempe scoring goals again to go with his great 2-way game and play making...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Kings also weren't tied for 2nd overall in the league at Christmas 2022. Today last year, the Kings had played 7 more games and were 14th overall. At least we agree that I'm using facts, even slightly, not just imagination.

I don't care who is on the team if they're doing well. It can be the guy they drafted and developed for half a dozen years, or the mercenary they just brought it 3 seconds ago. If the guy is taking up $3m, or $8m, if the team is winning, I don't care. I don't care if Vilardi was doing great when they traded him. They chose to trade him, so I'm willing to let whatever is to happen, happen, before I condemn it. I'd do the same if they didn't make the trade and still weren't using Vilardi correctly, and were still forcing Iafallo onto the 1st line. I don't project my own personal wants onto what they choose to do.

Does it matter that they're higher in the standings on 12/24/23 than they were 12/24/22? Probably not, because all that ultimately matters is April, May, and June. But they're 2nd overall in the league. I'm not going to cry about some trade they made last summer, or about Faber either. If any team at this point is considered a contender, the Kings would have to be one of them. Tied for 2nd overall, and 2nd overall in goal differential. What more do we want? Is the home record great? No. Is the road record ridiculous? Yes. Could they lose more on the road? Yes. Win more at home? Yes.

Imagine Byfield and Vilardi together. Ok. That takes Byfield off the 1st line, so who's there instead? Is the line as good as it's been? What line is Fiala on? Is Arvidsson playing? Is he likely sitting out due to cap reasons? Probably not? The $4m for Iafallo and $3m for Vilardi is essentially Dubois's hit, so I don't know what would be going on.
Yeah and Kings were getting crushed defensively last year around this time because they were bleeding goals left and right from some of the worst goaltending since the Cloutier days and some of the worst defense the Kings had. Having better goaltending and defense has a lot to do with it. Maybe if you stop conflating the standings with Vilardi and PLD you might actually have a salient point rather than the word vomit you’re trying to pass as logic.

Vilardi is objectively better than PLD. PLD has objectively been horrible. The standings has no bearing on these facts.

Just some awful rhetoric bro. Lay off the gin.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Yeah and Kings were getting crushed defensively last year around this time because they were bleeding goals left and right from some of the worst goaltending since the Cloutier days and some of the worst defense the Kings had. Having better goaltending and defense has a lot to do with it. Maybe if you stop conflating the standings with Vilardi and PLD you might actually have a salient point rather than the word vomit you’re trying to pass as logic.

Vilardi is objectively better than PLD. PLD has objectively been horrible.

He's_Out_of_line_but_he's_right.jpg

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Good win and tied for 2nd overall. Big game for pld.
And i took whats her name to dinner, dammit.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Vilardi is objectively better than PLD. PLD has objectively been horrible. The standings has no bearing on these facts.

The point is, and always will be, it doesn't f***ing matter who is on the team if the team is winning.....pretty simple.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Seen Clarke play and Offensively he's very good,Defensively not so good! And since you have to play some semblance of D...he should be left in Ontario to ply his trade and get better...Kings could always use Bjornfot on the Right side
Thanks for your scouting report. Who does Clark normally play with? Do you think playing with someone like Gavrikov would give him enough support to cover for any defensive deficiencies?

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023

"All that ultimately matters is april, may and june"

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Thanks for your scouting report. Who does Clark normally play with? Do you think playing with someone like Gavrikov would give him enough support to cover for any defensive deficiencies?
Not sure Clarke will be ready by the time Gavrikov's contract is up after the 2025 season...sometimes in hockey circles 2 years is an eternity so predicting/speculating can be well...guesswork

Gavrikov - Roy is an absoutely insane pairing but I can't imagine a better partner for Clarke.
Don't see Clarke being a top 4 just yet perhaps in 3-5 years time

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3