kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Reactions: AbsentMojo

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
It's alot harder to walk away from these past two games with a positive outlook with the injuries officiating shenanagins and players (80) disappointing It just doesn't sit right. You can handle a loss but when most everything else is working against you it doesn't make for enjoyable experience as a fan

Just gotta hope the boys take these on the chin, get some rest, go home and reset

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He gave out both 10s for asking what the penalties were for. That's all Fiala did, "what did QB do to get a penalty trying to dig at the puck" . The refs like " FU , 10 min misconduct!"
He should be demoted.. fans would go to the zoo if they wanted to see the damn zebras taking center stage

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll flat out say that bringing in and paying Dubois that amount has put the Kings in a bad spot cap-wise, especially for his level of play.

If he played and produced like an $8.5 million player, it would be easier to swallow. But it's sticking out like a sore thumb.

He's on pace for 36 points now. That's how much Alex Iafallo scored in 59 games last season. Two more points than Lizotte's production last year.

I get it, he needs time. But if Blake were paying Lizotte this much coin, they wouldn't be using his linemates as a defense.
Pretty soon PLD will be playing with the Reign. if he keeps how he is playing up.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I thought he'd be overpaid based on a 60 point pace

Didn't ever think he'd barely be cracking a 30 point pace

There's just no moral victories there particularly when the other teams have figured out the only matchup that matters is the first line and Moore. Fiala is a time bomb sabotaging the 2nd line, PLD sucks, and the 4th line has been neutered BECAUSE PLD sucks and TM doesn't know what to do about it.

Would be a great time to try Moore-Danault-PLD and maybe try Turcotte at 3C but oh yeah, you were busy getting him killed on the third line in the AHL. And moving Lizotte up, much like moving Grundstrom up, doesn't work. so yet again, they've painted themselves into a corner.
We all gotta relax a little bit. PLD needs some time and some better linemates. I'm expecting him to have a strong 2nd half, especially when Arvy is back.

Fiala really just needs to focus more on discipline. IMHO, he really needs to clean up three areas: questionable passes, blowing defensive assignments and unnecessary penalties.

Kopitar, Kempe and Byfield were definitely not as effective tonight. The Rangers controlled them.

Kings were tired - 5 games in 8 nights and the loss of Gavrikov...you could kind of feel this one coming. We will be okay. Hopefully Gav isn't out for too long. He is a key piece of this team.

Are you insinuating that paying 8.5 million for PLD was a bad idea? Big oof.

This contract is worse than the Petersen contract by far and that’s saying something.
This is extremely premature. How many games into the season are we? We weren't even saying that about Petersen until he was progressively getting worse. PLD could be better, yes, but he is playing with a rookie and other guys who are swapped in and out. Give it some time.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
This is extremely premature. How many games into the season are we? We weren't even saying that about Petersen until he was progressively getting worse. PLD could be better, yes, but he is playing with a rookie and other guys who are swapped in and out. Give it some time.
Can you imagine a worse 25 game debut than this? Its not just the lack of production its his hustle, defensive awareness and other basics that every other player on the team handles routinely except him. 8.5m x 8 you expect him to figure it out quickly without being coddled.. and at least hustle and throw the body if the points arent coming. That isnt happening.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Dubois is officially a problem. He just looks so disengaged out there I wish someone were to cheap shot him so he gets pissed off and plays like he gives a damn.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Can you imagine a worse 25 game debut than this? Its not just the lack of production its his hustle, defensive awareness and other basics that every other player on the team handles routinely except him. 8.5m x 8 you expect him to figure it out quickly without being coddled.. and at least hustle and throw the body if the points arent coming. That isnt happening.

Can I imagine a worse 25 game debut, absof***inglutely....it's no where NEAR as some of you guys are trying to make it out to be...

Defensive awareness....I can't believe I am even responding to that, he's been extremely defensively responsible....

Throw the body? Given that hits are notoriously not remotely tracked equally in all buildings, 2 tonight, more than Mikey Anderson and Kempe combined, 1 last night, none against CBS, but you saw that coming, 1 against MTL, that's just this 4 game span, he's 5th on the team forwards for hits given....

Can he play better, absolutely, no doubt, 100%....but holy hyperbole.....

Reactions: FeartheFur and bmr

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
just doesn't feel very good when the lead you made on the coilers is evaporating behind their 7 win streak

still in a good place overall, just like man, those 2 games didn't feel good at all
I don't know about evaporating. In the last 10 games, the Oilers have actually lost a point to the Kings in the standings.

If the Kings keep playing at their current pace of 15 points per 10 games, the Oilers would have to win 21 straight to catch them.

Crazy.

Reactions: tny760

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Dubois is officially a problem. He just looks so disengaged out there I wish someone were to cheap shot him so he gets pissed off and plays like he gives a damn.
I agree that he needs to be better but I’m not going to write him off yet. A lot of the people on this board are knee-jerk with this stuff. The culture and leadership core of this team will ultimately hold him accountable. This is a special group.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm on my phone so I can't format it cleanly, but basically a cap hit between $1.13 and $3.82 million until 2038.

1512358167044.jpg

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Can I imagine a worse 25 game debut, absof***inglutely....it's no where NEAR as some of you guys are trying to make it out to be...

Defensive awareness....I can't believe I am even responding to that, he's been extremely defensively responsible....

Throw the body? Given that hits are notoriously not remotely tracked equally in all buildings, 2 tonight, more than Mikey Anderson and Kempe combined, 1 last night, none against CBS, but you saw that coming, 1 against MTL, that's just this 4 game span, he's 5th on the team forwards for hits given....

I dont think what i wrote is hyperbole.. nothing you wrote is persuasive to me. How about grade ? I give him a D

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
For $8.5 million, virtually zero PK time, powerplay time, multiple wingers, the only ones off the top of my head who are more underwhelming are Huberdeau and Ovechkin. And both are still outscoring him.

Where? How? A play when he backchecks to block a shot every once in a while?
Why would you remark on how hits aren't equally tracked but then use a hit counter to prove he's physically engaged?
If he's as physically engaged and defensively responsible as you're suggesting, not sure how you can agree he needs to play so much better.

He starts in the offensive zone 64% of the time. He's second among all Kings forwards after JAD. He's fifth on the team in powerplay time per game (3:09). And only has played an average of 6 seconds on the PK per game.

Opportunity has been there on a silver platter, and he's still outscoring Carl Grundstrom (who is apparently holding him back according to some...) by 2 points.

He's getting money and easy assignments. He had the opportunity with one of the more skilled players (Fiala) and snipers (Kaliyev). How many more accommodations need to be made for him?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I dont think what i wrote is hyperbole.. nothing you wrote is persuasive to me. How about grade ? I give him a D

A lot of what you wrote is hyperbole, you say at least throw the body around.....5th forward in hits.....so tell me how he's NOT throwing his body around?

Defensively responsible, he 100% is, maybe you blink, maybe you go take a shit, maybe you go grab more nachos so you don't see it.....NYI and NYR he saved point blank shots, by...wait for it....being defensively responsible,

You want to grade? Sure, I will give him an I.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
A lot of what you wrote is hyperbole, you say at least throw the body around.....5th forward in hits.....so tell me how he's NOT throwing his body around?

Defensively responsible, he 100% is, maybe you blink, maybe you go take a shit, maybe you go grab more nachos so you don't see it.....NYI and NYR he saved point blank shots, by...wait for it....being defensively responsible,

You want to grade? Sure, I will give him an I.
What i meant was, if you're not scoring do more hitting 5th on team is not very good. As for his defense its suspect, he lazy on the backcheck or havent you noticed that? Have you looked at his advanced stats, they are not good.. but i dont need to rely on that i just know what I see and what I see is a disengaged lazy player.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
For $8.5 million, virtually zero PK time, powerplay time, multiple wingers, the only ones off the top of my head who are more underwhelming are Huberdeau and Ovechkin. And both are still outscoring him.

Where? How? A play when he backchecks to block a shot every once in a while?

Why would you remark on how hits aren't equally tracked but then use a hit counter to prove he's physically engaged?

If he's as physically engaged and defensively responsible as you're suggesting, not sure how you can agree he needs to play so much better.

He starts in the offensive zone 64% of the time. He's second among all Kings forwards after JAD. He's fifth on the team in powerplay time per game (3:09). And only has played an average of 6 seconds on the PK per game.

Opportunity has been there on a silver platter, and he's still outscoring Carl Grundstrom (who is apparently holding him back according to some...) by 2 points.

He's getting money and easy assignments. He had the opportunity with one of the more skilled players (Fiala) and snipers (Kaliyev). How many more accommodations need to be made for him?

And yet there are EASILY worse debuts......the question was, can you imagine worse debut than PLD, and yes, yes I can, (looks through every King season from 1982 until 2010, you will find a shit ton there for reference)

Yea, he back checks, and takes his man, that's literally the definition of being defensively responsbile.

If he's physically engaged, and defensively responsible...how can he play better? I dunno...outscore Grundstrom by more than 2 points, which you used later in your argument.....

Because the comment was he should AT LEAST throw his body around.....even a faulty hit counter, counts that he does.....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We were begging for that kind of deployment for the kids for YEARS but were told they weren't productive enough s they needed to go back to the AHL. here's a guy getting paid 8.5 million and instead of the same treatment it's 'let's wait and see, and by the way give him more help.'

Iafallo was shit on CONSTANTLY for being a 40 point guy playing WAY harder minutes at half the price and being effective on the PK as well...8.5 million for 30 points wouldn't even excuse Bergeron or Bob Gainey.

At some point results matter. This isn't a 21 year old figuring it out. This is a guy smack in the middle of his production prime in the most preferential minutes on the best offensive in the league and he's on track for HALF of his career average. That's indefensible.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What i meant was, if you're not scoring do more hitting 5th on team is not very good. As for his defense its suspect, he lazy on the backcheck or havent you noticed that? Have you looked at his advanced stats, they are not good.. but i dont need to rely on that i just know what I see and what I see is a disengaged lazy player.

I look at the individual plays he makes, I don't look at advanced stats....can I tell you every time he's made a good defensive play, nope, I know he made 2-3 tonight, made 2-3 last night, how that shows in advanced status, don't know, didn't someone post a chart here that showed Dubois was positive on the defensive side tonight? Maybe I read that wrong....

Again, does he need to do more, absolutely, is he has bad has 90% of this board has cried over, not even close.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I look at the individual plays he makes, I don't look at advanced stats....can I tell you every time he's made a good defensive play, nope, I know he made 2-3 tonight, made 2-3 last night, how that shows in advanced status, don't know, didn't someone post a chart here that showed Dubois was positive on the defensive side tonight? Maybe I read that wrong....

Again, does he need to do more, absolutely, is he has bad has 90% of this board has cried over, not even close.
The board is right to call him out and he deserves it. Someone asked about a buyout - im not there yet at all. Im saying his 1st quarter grade is a D and I expect a hell of a lot more going fwd. He's creating problems for the Koala to get his lines set this season - its a big issue to have your 8.5m ostensible 2C looking like he may need to be a wing. Even the Koala took him off PP1 and for good reason he looked lost out there.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
This is seriously bad and not funny about PLD.

With Byfield finally emerging and the Kings lacking a RW - this roster could have looked way different if they just moved Iaffalo for picks or whatever to clear up 4 million...

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Turcotte-Vilardi
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis/Kupari

After two years when Kopitar retires, you move Byfield to 1C and you still have Danault (his final contract year) and Turcotte behind him. The 4C could be Helenius and hopefully the Kings draft another top pick center.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad