GDT: 2023-24 season Game 2 LA Kings vs Carolina Hurricanes @7:30pm 10/14/23

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
I think the Kings were better with Vilardi and Fiala. PLD hasn't made much of an impact so far. It is early hopefully he does.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
He's not that wrong. If Fiala doesn't brain fart on 2 of the 3 pp, we're winning the game without OT. This loss was self inflicted, not because the Canes were better.
Can you imagine when they get Svechnikov back...Kings aren't beating teams like Carolina because man for man,Defenseman for Defenseman and Goaltender for Goaltender are a helluva lot better than the Kings period!

I think the Kings were better with Vilardi and Fiala. PLD hasn't made much of an impact so far. It is early hopefully he does.
I think PL Dubois will fit better with Kopi and Kempe! Now that would be a true Numero Uno line...Then the dilemma becomes who to Centre Fiala and Kaliyev

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Can you imagine when they get Svechnikov back...Kings aren't beating teams like Carolina because man for man,Defenseman for Defenseman and Goaltender for Goaltender are a helluva lot better than the Kings period!

I think PL Dubois will fit better with Kopi and Kempe! Now that would be a true Numero Uno line...Then the dilemma becomes who to Centre Fiala and Kaliyev
You mean Fiala and Laf. :D

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This won't be the last one of these, it'll be like watching SC football. I was shocked the totals for both these games were not higher. I don't know if the books predictors thought Colorado and Carolina had strong defenses or what. But the Kings are going to be playing high scoring games this season, which will be fun, better than trying to grind out 2-1 wins.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Two games means very little in that regard. He may crash and burn or he may be top drawer but adjusting to a new team takes some time. He’s actually played pretty well, it’s just that the production isn’t there yet. Given he’s produced historically I’m not remotely concerned yet. It’s not as if the team around him has executed that well either.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Dude, look who you are responding to.....
Yeah, but I’m taking one sentence out of context and joking.

His overall point is fundamentally a good one. We can’t put ourselves in a position AGAIN where 5 goals isn’t enough. The goaltending currently is a serious concern. I’m prepared to give it a bit more time myself but relying on a reclamation project in Talbot and a backup who hit a career best hot steak last year to backstop a deep play-off run is a high risk strategy at best. Even if it comes off it isn’t brilliant, it’s lucky. As they say it’s better to be lucky than good, but it doesn’t make the criticism of the goaltender situation any less valid.

Then there is Clarke being in the AHL… last night was yet another example of a play he’s significantly less likely to be on the end of in the NHL.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Byfield could be an option....

God that would be hilarious and make posters on here go insane. If we traded for PLD to have great center depth and because the team didn't believe in Byfield as a center and then a month into the season PLD is playing LW on Kopitar's line and Byfield is centering a line with Fiala and either Kaliyev or Turcotte or Laferriere.

At the end of the day I don't hate the idea - just doubt we'll ever really see it.

PLD - Kopitar - Kempe would be a really interesting/potentially amazing line. On the other hand, I kinda feel like Byfield and Fiala could actually play well together. They're both very fast and both make plays at time that catch their linemates by surprise.

Maybe Byfield would actually be able to gel with Fiala's creativity. And I think one of the best things about Byfield has been his defensive game.. So it's possible with a winger like Laf or Turcotte, that line would be solid enough defensively - Especially if Todd can manage the game well enough to avoid having that line match up with opposing top lines.

PLD - Kopitar - Kempe would also likely be excellent defensively in addition to the offensive ability. You basically have 3 big centers all playing together.

Idk. Like I said we'll probably never see it but it's a fun idea at least. Ultimately though I think PLD and Fiala will figure it out.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This won't be the last one of these, it'll be like watching SC football. I was shocked the totals for both these games were not higher. I don't know if the books predictors thought Colorado and Carolina had strong defenses or what. But the Kings are going to be playing high scoring games this season, which will be fun, better than trying to grind out 2-1 wins.
Nah, this is just like last year. A flashy new addition has them thinking they will be an offensive powerhouse and they give up a ton.

They will settle in to a more defensive style and start picking up points. This is a McLellan team, we know exactly what to expect. The division is lost early in the year then they find their footing. They will pile up points and finish either third or in the wild card hunt. Their biggest risk is a big run by Calgary or Vancouver.

The goaltending issues are even the same. The only difference is that we know its suspect heading into the year this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad