GDT: 2023-24 season game 11 LA Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers @4:30pm 11/4/23

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'll tell you what's wrong with the Fiala line: Fiala 3.5% shooting percentage. That and PLD producing at a 45 point pace (the same pace Blake Lizotte is on currently).

With Fiala - He's a consistent 20+ goal scorer and a VERY skilled forward. He's getting chances and hitting a lot of posts / getting robbed quite a bit. The goals will come. That alone will increase the productivity of that line pretty significantly.

With PLD - There's more concern IMO but I believe he'll get it going.

Laferriere is not the problem on that line. In fact, there's been quite a few nights where he's been the best player on that line in terms of 5 on 5 play. Also, Hodgson?????? Come on now.... The guy is barely an AHL player let alone an NHL player. Loved the hit on Stone but let's be serious.

Ultimately though in general, just keep it rolling. This team is consistently dominating opponents and scoring more than nearly every other team in the NHL.
Laferriere has the lowest ES GF% on that line and he has the lowest production of all three players, so yeah, maybe he is a problem on that line. I'm not really of the opinion that there's any real problem, but it's hard to ignore the actual numbers there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Laferriere has the lowest ES GF% on that line and he has the lowest production of all three players, so yeah, maybe he is a problem on that line. I'm not really of the opinion that there's any real problem, but it's hard to ignore the actual numbers there.
I don't expect rookies to carry a line. So, even if he's producing the least, I'm expecting the players the Kings have spent the majority of their assets to acquire to be much more productive at ES.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Yeah you may have a point and you're right - It's hard to argue against the numbers. But I do think with Laferriere there's a serious lack of puck luck that's a factor here.

Every game, he makes 2-3 plays minimum that set up great scoring chances / rush chances. Yet he only has 1 assist to show for it (which came off a Lizotte goal funny enough). That's why I pointed out Fiala's shooting % in my post - If your linemates aren't scoring on the chances you create for them, then of course your production is going to be lacking. And he's been a little snakebitten himself tbh.

It seems pretty clear with Laferriere, that's what's happening. I really think that line is going to catch fire soon. He's still looking really impressive IMO - That last game against Philly he was flying out there.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Yeah you may have a point and you're right - It's hard to argue against the numbers. But I do think with Laferriere there's a serious lack of puck luck that's a factor here.

Every game, he makes 2-3 plays minimum that set up great scoring chances / rush chances. Yet he only has 1 assist to show for it (which came off a Lizotte goal funny enough). That's why I pointed out Fiala's shooting % in my post - If your linemates aren't scoring on the chances you create for them, then of course your production is going to be lacking. And he's been a little snakebitten himself tbh.

It seems pretty clear with Laferriere, that's what's happening. I really think that line is going to catch fire soon. He's still looking really impressive IMO - That last game against Philly he was flying out there.
I agree. It's good to have every line firing on all cylinders, but the real problem is when your top nine forwards all go cold at once. Having three of four lines dominating the opposition means you're going to win a lot of games.

Laferriere is doing a lot to be happy about, just not having a lot of results to show for it. We saw this with Byfield all of last year. The expectations on Laferriere are not nearly as high, of course.

When that line blows up or when Arvidsson returns, this lineup will absolutely instill fear in the hearts of opposing goalies.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Stutzle can put the puck in the net unlike Byfield in their careers so far.
I cannot stand Derek Armstrong (and have taken to muting him whenever he is on camera) but before that he said one really smart thing.
O'Neill was comparing Stutzle's accomplishments with Byfield's previous struggles and Armstrong says, "Yeah, but we want to win Stanley Cups."
Great line...great perspective.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Rod Auger

Mar 5, 2023
I cannot stand Derek Armstrong (and have taken to muting him whenever he is on camera) but before that he said one really smart thing.
O'Neill was comparing Stutzle's accomplishments with Byfield's previous struggles and Armstrong says, "Yeah, but we want to win Stanley Cups."
Great line...great perspective.
1699336326083.gif

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
I’m an unabashed Derek Armstrong fan — I love his goofy, authentic self. He was a fav of mine during those dark years as a player too.
I’ve met and talked with Army in Vegas and before games in LA, and every time it’s like “hey buddy, how you been” when I know he doesn’t remember me, it’s just the kind of guy he is. Needles to say, I’m a huge fan as well.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’ve met and talked with Army in Vegas and before games in LA, and every time it’s like “hey buddy, how you been” when I know he doesn’t remember me, it’s just the kind of guy he is. Needles to say, I’m a huge fan as well.

Yep. I've bumped into him in so many places in LA and Vegas I can't even count anymore and every time he's the friendliest, happiest-go-lucky dude in the room to everyone. Him AND O'Neal, really. They just seem genuinely happy and approachable.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Yep. I've bumped into him in so many places in LA and Vegas I can't even count anymore and every time he's the friendliest, happiest-go-lucky dude in the room to everyone. Him AND O'Neal, really. They just seem genuinely happy and approachable.
Not my proudest moment but I chirped O'Neil pretty bad one night after a loss and a few too many 20 dollar beers probably 10 years ago. He was sitting at his seat on the production set at Staples, don't remember exactly what I said but I remember it being pretty mean and he took it in stride. He he looked right at me, laughed and smiled and was like "C'mon man" with his arms out. I immediately conceded and waved to him, sort of apologizing. Seemed like he had a pretty good sense of humor about himself and I appreciated that.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Not my proudest moment but I chirped O'Neil pretty bad one night after a loss and a few too many 20 dollar beers probably 10 years ago. He was sitting at his seat on the production set at Staples, don't remember exactly what I said but I remember it being pretty mean and he took it in stride. He he looked right at me, laughed and smiled and was like "C'mon man" with his arms out. I immediately conceded and waved to him, sort of apologizing. Seemed like he had a pretty good sense of humor about himself and I appreciated that.
I remember a while back on the postgame show, someone was standing behind O’Neil with a sign that said Patrick O’Neil is a Ducks Fan. Lmfao.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Raccoon Jesus, with your current aesthetic, when will you be changing your name to Koala Mediocre?

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino