Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Marc Andre Fleury was traded to Minnesota for a second round pick, the year after he won the Vezina......and he didn't have a NMC.

The NMC has limits a team's leverage in getting the best deal for an asset, and I don't think people recognize that as much as they should.
According to Cap Friendly LU has a 16 team no trade list, or M-NTC.
Ullmark is also 7 years younger vs MAF and under team control for another year.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If we deal any prospects or picks this TDL I will take a hiatus.
iu

Are you suuuuuure?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
According to Cap Friendly LU has a 16 team no trade list, or M-NTC.
Ullmark is also 7 years younger vs MAF and under team control for another year.
Best possible comp the Bruins could hope for was what Colorado gave up when they got Darcy Kuemper from Arizona....

But is Boston really going to trade Ullmark to a Cup Contending team in need of a goalie?

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
For me the key to this trade deadline is to figure out Jake Debrusk. He can be a lightning rod around here with defenders and detractors.

One thing I think we can all agree on though; we cannot lose him for nothing. Can’t happen.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Best possible comp the Bruins could hope for was what Colorado gave up when they got Darcy Kuemper from Arizona....

But is Boston really going to trade Ullmark to a Cup Contending team in need of a goalie?
If Edmonton had an obtainable piece we wanted? Yes.
I would be shocked if it was in the East.

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
100% agree with you on all points. Getting in this year and see what happens . But if there are deals to be made to improve the team next year and beyond then Im for giving them much thought. Invest in tomorrow in my opinion. Be it TDL, draft or FA period.
Absolutely Wally.

I shouldn't have been so definitive. Agree 100% that if we can improve with an eye to the future then I'm more amenable.

I meant no short term win it now deals (Bertuzzi, Hathaway, Orlov, etc). Deals that I fully supported last year.

iu

Are you suuuuuure?
No. :laugh:

I'm actually full of shit. I lived through the 90's and when season tickets were actually available and still came back like I have Stockholm Syndrome or something.

Not sure if that's it, but there' certainly something wrong with me that's for sure.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

What other team would want him if they are not contenders........

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

If Ullmark isn’t in their future plans they will get the best possible value they can for him. I’m not saying they will ship him to their closest rival for a shiny new object, but the where shouldn’t be nearly as important as the what for.

Babajingo

I agree with this take from Christopher 100%.

If we deal any prospects or picks this TDL I will take a hiatus.

I can live with a first round departure if it ends up that way this year. I was prepared for a possibility of missing the playoffs this year, so this is all gravy.

However, I do not believe for a moment that this team will catch lightening in a bottle and run for the Cup. Could it happen? Of course it could and wouldn't that be glorious. Should we mortgage more of an already mortgaged future betting that there is a player or two away chance of it happening????. Absolutely not IMO. Definitively, absolutely, for the love of all that is holy.... NO.
Agree. They don't have much wiggle room anyway. Stand pat and see what happens, but if you can get a pick for Gryz, do it.
I didn't think they'd make it either. Primarily because I thought OTT and BUF would improve (stupid me). This year is a gift, for any PO hockey. You get alot of $$ after this year and only important resigning is Swayman. If you can deal Linus, that's even better.

If they start trading what VERY little prospects they have for a rental, they're idiots.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What other team would want him if they are not contenders........
That's my point. Carolina would be a perfect team to deal Ullmark to. I just don't see Boston doing it....or Carolina for that matter.

If you are completely writing off this season's cup chances, I guess it makes sense. I just don't see this front office doing that. Carolina might, as long as it was for future picks/or a prospect, but they'd be wary as well...You just don't see a lot of playoff teams swapping players back and forth. They usually end up pillaging the bottom half of the league.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think DeBrusk is being very overrated here. I don't know what you can get for him but I would be happy if we could send him to Edmonton for Foegele and Desharnais, Bruins would probably have to add a pick, it works out cap wise and you get a more consistent player in Foegele and a little bit of a physical D in Desharnais, who could take Shattenkirks spot on the bottom pair.

I really can't take anymore of the disappearing DeBrusk. I would be amazed if he is resigned here, so even though Fogele is a UFA as well, it's a worthwhile gamble to move on from DeBrusk and let another coach see if he can make him care and be a good player every night.

If they are not going to move Lysell it's time to give him a look, while not a fan of his they need to figure out what they have and if they should move him

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That's my point. Carolina would be a perfect team to deal Ullmark to. I just don't see Boston doing it....or Carolina for that matter.

If you are completely writing off this season's cup chances, I guess it makes sense. I just don't see this front office doing that. Carolina might, as long as it was for future picks/or a prospect, but they'd be wary as well...You just don't see a lot of playoff teams swapping players back and forth. They usually end up pillaging the bottom half of the league.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
For me the key to this trade deadline is to figure out Jake Debrusk. He can be a lightning rod around here with defenders and detractors.

One thing I think we can all agree on though; we cannot lose him for nothing. Can’t happen.
He needs to be signed by the deadline or moved, end of story. Personally I sign him cause I don't think this team can really afford to lose top 6 talent rn, even if he is inconsistent.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
To New Jersey:
Linus Ullmark
Matt Grzelcyk
3rd round pick

To Boston:
Dawson Mercer
Nathan Bastian

(It's hard to gauge value on goaltenders, don't shoot me)

Mercer is having a bit of a down year and NJ desperately needs a #1
Id drive linus to jersey if Fitzgerald would give up mercer for him.

Reactions: Number4orr

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is Calgary full rebuild and only considering picks and prospects? Or would they consider Carlo?
I'd trade Carlo if Hanifin was coming back. Lohrei would be nice to keep. Carlo, Forbort and a 2nd?

Problem if then you have a massive gap in the harder to find RHD category. You are down to Shattenkirk, Mitchell, and I guess Regula behind McAvoy. That is horrible. Regula could come up, and maybe he'll be ok, but he probably is at a point where he needs to play sheltered 3rd line minutes for a year at least.

And of course on the other side you end up in the scenario where Lohre will have 2 7 million dollar LHD signed longterm in front of him.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Is Calgary full rebuild and only considering picks and prospects? Or would they consider Carlo?
I'd trade Carlo if Hanifin was coming back. Lohrei would be nice to keep. Carlo, Forbort and a 2nd?
I think if you make Carlo available you can do better then a pending UFA in Hanifin. Half the teams in the league are in need of quality RDs. Carlo is a legit top 4 shutdown RD that happens to be 6'6" and great in the locker room, both of which are traits that GMs will value.

And all that is why I think there's a negative chance Sweeney is considering moving him for anything other then a top 6 center.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think DeBrusk is being very overrated here. I don't know what you can get for him but I would be happy if we could send him to Edmonton for Foegele and Desharnais, Bruins would probably have to add a pick, it works out cap wise and you get a more consistent player in Foegele and a little bit of a physical D in Desharnais, who could take Shattenkirks spot on the bottom pair.

I really can't take anymore of the disappearing DeBrusk. I would be amazed if he is resigned here, so even though Fogele is a UFA as well, it's a worthwhile gamble to move on from DeBrusk and let another coach see if he can make him care and be a good player every night.

If they are not going to move Lysell it's time to give him a look, while not a fan of his they need to figure out what they have and if they should move him

I've said it before, but I think you look at Richard Rakell. they are incredibly similar players. rakell's best 2 years were better, but they were a long way in the rear view mirror.

When they ducks traded him they get a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd rounder from the previous draft. Plus salary Ballast.

I think that is basically what you are looking at for Debrusk's value if he were traded tomorrow

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I understand what you are saying that you don't trade with other cup contenders, and the unwritten rule would just be that, but I do not in my opinion believe that should hold the Bruins back this year, this team needs help. You can abide by the "unwritten rule " and not win the cup with your luxury of a great goaltending tandem, or try and strengthen this team in areas of need and have a shot at accomplishing the feat . Before someone calls me out on a posting I, not long ago made that maybe they should ride with the two tender system because I felt that was their obvious strength, but at the time I felt they were in a better place, that is no longer true. I also made a post at the beginning of the season training time, that I felt two goalies was not necessary because they needed to fill some holes, I said at the time you can only play one at a time, ...........I don't care you they trade with this, just get the best deal.............Roll the Dice boys lets get some help. There was a effort from the players to get this far this year , get them some help..........

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think if you make Carlo available you can do better then a pending UFA in Hanifin. Half the teams in the league are in need of quality RDs. Carlo is a legit top 4 shutdown RD that happens to be 6'6" and great in the locker room, both of which are traits that GMs will value.

And all that is why I think there's a negative chance Sweeney is considering moving him for anything other then a top 6 center.

Also Carlo is signed long for multiple more years at a below market rate. You are right the Bruins would be absolutely crazy to make said deal without another significant asset in return

Reactions: dugg133

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Problem if then you have a massive gap in the harder to find RHD category. You are down to Shattenkirk, Mitchell, and I guess Regula behind McAvoy. That is horrible. Regula could come up, and maybe he'll be ok, but he probably is at a point where he needs to play sheltered 3rd line minutes for a year at least.

And of course on the other side you end up in the scenario where Lohre will have 2 7 million dollar LHD signed longterm in front of him.
I hear ya. Though Lohrei can play both sides?

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020

I'd assume it would have to be for a signed Hanifin. Not much point mentioning Carlos height unless it's for a long reach? His size is not put to use as well as it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad