2023/24 Relegation Fantasy League Main Thread

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
It is time. Hockey returns, and friendships are ruined. It is *year 4* of the HF fantasy league and this year we have some major changes being introduced. For the returning GMs of last season, not much will change this year.. except what’s on the line.

Which leads up to the implementation of the HF AHL Fantasy League in tandem with the HF NHL Fantasy League.

The Concept:

Running similar to the soccer premier league system, you can now be relegated or promoted between the 2 fantasy leagues we have. The bottom 2 finishers in the NHL league regular season will be demoted to the AHL league for the next season. 1st place in the AHL league regular season and 1st place in the AHL league playoffs will be promoted to the NHL league for the next season (if that is the same person, it defaults to the 2nd place in the AHL league playoffs). Nobody will be relegated from last year, so it is a completely fresh start.

The 2 leagues will have the exact same categories and format to truly mirror each other.

The NHL draft will begin 2 days prior to the AHL draft with the idea that the top league will not have another draft board to follow along with (making it a little more difficult).

Rules:

1. Format: Weekly head-to-head (categories) — you will be matched up against another team every week and compete with them in the following 11 categories:

Goals/Assists/Points/PP Points/Shots/Hits/Blocks/SV%/GAA/Wins/Shutouts

Each category that you win/lose will count toward your overall record and will be reflected in the standings.
  2. Draft: The draft will happen here on HF. It will be a 22 round snake draft, randomized order through a neutral site. 2 hour clock to start, moves to 1 hour after round 10. Clock runs from 9am EST to 12am EST.
  3. Rosters: 12 teams, each must draft 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, and 6 others for a total of 22 players. Among those 6 extra slots, 5 will be on the bench and one will be in a utility slot, meaning they can play regardless of position. So among your 22 players, 17 of them can be playing at a time.
  4. Roster moves: Teams can drop and pick up a maximum of 4 players a week. No limits on trades. You will have 2 IR spots as well as 2 IR+ spots, which includes injured players that were not placed on IR irl.
  5. Playoffs: The winners will be determined through a 6-team playoff. Out of the 12 teams, the top 2 get a bye to the semis and the next 4 face off to see who advances. Teams who do not make the NHL or AHL playoffs will have their rosters locked for the final weeks to avoid interference.
  6. Relegation/Promotion: The top finisher in the AHL regular season and AHL playoffs will be promoted to the NHL for the following season (if that is the same person, 2nd finisher in AHL playoffs advances). The bottom 2 finishers in the NHL regular season will be demoted to the AHL for the following season.

Note (The Mullet Clause):

This is a new concept we are playing with, so any funny business involving questionable trades, questionable drops, and/or intentionally not setting lineups with the goal of certain matchups winning so certain individuals are promoted/relegated is subject to me stepping in and reversing moves/locking rosters as I see fit. We have too many terrorists for me to not mention this..

Threads:

NHL Lottery Results: Lottery Reveal (enter ID: lmhw25gv) (set to reveal Sept 23rd, 12pm EST)

NHL Draft Thread: Here

AHL Lottery Results: Lottery Reveal (enter ID: lmhw9vvm) (set to reveal Sept 25th, 12pm EST)

AHL Draft Thread: Here

Those in the AHL league will have an email sent to them with the link to join the Yahoo league. Due to how the site works, for me to have been able to create the league and set it up I had to possess a team. The last person to join will be invited to co-manage "my team" due to this. I will not touch the roster at any point in the season and will strictly be there for commissioner tools if needed.

The drafts will begin immediately after their respective draft order results are revealed. Sept 23rd for NHL, Sept 25th for AHL.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
giphy.gif

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
1) Sept 23 i wont be around at all

2) @LT could we get an HF Fantasy hall of fame for reg season and playoff champs?

Reactions: LT

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
23rd not ideal for me either tbh but if it’s firm I’d try to send list I’m just gonna be in mountains so no reception

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Can we have a longer clock ? Especially the 1 hour after round 10 part ?

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
A couple quick notes for the rest of the week:

1) 2 hour clock is going to stay throughout. We aren't pressed on time and people are busy.

2) If you have been relying on the Yahoo player list updates for available players, that is unlikely to be updated from around 9-6pm EST rest of the week. Sadly fantasy hockey ain't my job. The google sheets are way more likely to be up to date, and you can always cross-reference with the Yahoo player list if desired.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

1) 2 hour clock is going to stay throughout. We aren't pressed on time and people are busy.

2) If you have been relying on the Yahoo player list updates for available players, that is unlikely to be updated from around 9-6pm EST rest of the week. Sadly fantasy hockey ain't my job. The google sheets are way more likely to be up to date, and you can always cross-reference with the Yahoo player list if desired.
Thanks for doing this!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

It’s cute that you think anyone will do any of this.

Reactions: Gecklund

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Both drafts have now concluded, and all of the teams are in Yahoo successfully.

Massive shout out to @Nucker101 for carrying us through the end of the AHL draft when I was unavailable.

I also have been playing around with HN's weekly recap idea as it would otherwise be impossible to know how the other league is going.. so stay tuned :sarcasm:

All roster moves will not count against your weekly limit until October 10th, so you can go wild.

Let the season begin!

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
The trade between Ed and Mozes has been vetoed in the AHL

Ed had accidentally accepted and Mozes was willing to renegotiate

@EdJovanovski in the future, check the god damn league you are in.. others may not be as kind as Mozes and if he was not willing it would've been just tough luck and you suck it up

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The trade between Ed and Mozes has been vetoed in the AHL

Ed had accidentally accepted and Mozes was willing to renegotiate

@EdJovanovski in the future, check the god damn league you are in.. others may not be as kind as Mozes and if he was not willing it would've been just tough luck and you suck it up
Leak it please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad