2023/24 OUA Thread

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
I wonder if he will face any sanctions from the university?

FYI, Brock University can't sanction a student for being charged with a crime they are alleged to have committed when that crime is unrelated to their role as a student. Brock has no jurisdiction here, and it's a dangerous precedent to set to try and usurp the legal system.

This is always an interesting dilemma. Where is the line for what universities can do?

The Brock / OUA / USports Codes of Conduct all have a caveat about breaking laws. Here's the dilemma: being charged with a crime is not the same as breaking the law. He is presumed innocent.

You may not like it, but he should not be suspended by the team. He (allegedly) did a reprehensible thing on his own time, and it appears he is being charged for that crime. He wasn't at Brock, he wasn't representing Brock at the time, it did not involve anyone else at Brock or in USports. Brock need to let the legal system do its work. A wise administrator would just stay out of the way.

I once had this exact dilemma in the military. One of my subordinates was charged with DUI, and was ultimately convicted in civilian court. It would have been idiotic for me to add to the penalties he was facing from the civilian court ... the DUI charge cost him a year of driving, countless thousands in insurance, among other costs. He made a mistake, and he paid a huge price. What could I have contributed by adding to the penalty?

Now, if he had been DUI while on duty, that would be another matter. But he was on his own time.

Same here. The legal system exists for a reason, and he will have his day in court and likely pay a huge price. Brock does not need to try and add to it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
TMU over Brock 3-2. The Bold move within two points of the Badgers for first in the OUA West.

Of note, Russian import Artem Duda was in he lineup for the Bold. So was Tyler Burnie for the Badgers.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Why does it seem that university teams/leagues feel obliged to sanction things which would not affect pro leagues or non-sports employers?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ottawa Gee Gees now in first place in the OUA East after a 1-0 shootout victory over Ontario Tech.
They have now won seven in a row.

UQTR upset at home by Western of all teams.

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Queens got absolutely dominated tn by lakehead they were lucky to only lose 3-0
Whoever counts shots for Lakehead REALLY needs to do better. The video software we use for games (Hudl InStat) only has the Thunderwolves with 38 shots, not the 52 or 53 they had. Definitely boosted Purboo’s save percentage.

Other than that, first game back after a break, taking a flight up and not having your captain and best goal scorer playing dosent help much either.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
McGill beats Concordia 5-4 in overtime. Just watched from the third period onward. Stingers scored two goals in the final 2:40 seconds to tie the game. Red Birds scored with a few seconds left in overtime. The crowd at this game was great. Looked sold out. McGill brought their band to Concordia's rink. If they make the Nationals I hope they bring the band along.

McGill now in first place.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Playoffs are basically set Carleton can only catch otech if they win out and otech loses guelph can only catch Nipissing or lakehead if they win out and both teams lose their last 2 games RMC York Waterloo Western are all eliminated

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Playoffs are basically set Carleton can only catch otech if they win out and otech loses guelph can only catch Nipissing or lakehead if they win out and both teams lose their last 2 games RMC York Waterloo Western are all eliminated
Update after the rest of the weekend games:

Guelph can make the 6-7 play-in game with a win (vs. Western) plus a Nipissing loss (at Lakehead).

LAK, WLU, and WSR are all tied with 28 points and will all make the playoffs - but the lowest finisher of the three will fall to the 6-7 play-in game. Windsor has the inside track, because they have a game in hand.

WSR: vs. WLU, vs. WAT
WLU: @WSR
LAK: vs. NIP

Here's an interesting scenario: if NIP beats LAK on regulation on Friday night (7pm puck drop), then WLU and WIN (facing each other, 7:30pm puck drop) could both avoid the play-in if they went to OT. Nobody would ever cook up a result intentionally, by any stretch, but it could be interesting if Laurier and Windsor are tied in the third, and they get word that the Wolves have lost.

Reactions: Rob

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The first USports postseason game goes tonight: the 6/7 play-in game in the OUA West sees Nipissing visit Laurier at 7pm. Not an ideal time for sports fans; I'm sure they would have preferred an afternoon time, but the KW Siskins (Jr B) has that slot already.
Sidenote: if the Lakers win and claim the sixth seed, it will set up a brutal travel week for them: game in Thunder Bay this past Friday, KW on Sunday, North Bay next Wednesday, then one or two next weekend at Toronto.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The first USports postseason game goes tonight: the 6/7 play-in game in the OUA West sees Nipissing visit Laurier at 7pm. Not an ideal time for sports fans; I'm sure they would have preferred an afternoon time, but the KW Siskins (Jr B) has that slot already.
Sidenote: if the Lakers win and claim the sixth seed, it will set up a brutal travel week for them: game in Thunder Bay this past Friday, KW on Sunday, North Bay next Wednesday, then one or two next weekend at Toronto.

So why is there a 6/7 play in game in the OUA West?

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
So why is there a 6/7 play in game in the OUA West?
Good question! On the surface, I believe it is because the West has 10 teams and the East has 9 - when they trimmed the playoff spots down from 8 to 6, I'd imagine that the West members wanted an extra playoff spot (since that division is very parity-rich).

But without any inside knowledge of last season's coaches meetings and realignment, i am sure, too, that there was some politicking involved - I know that's the case for realignment, with Nipissing and York switching divisions.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Good question! On the surface, I believe it is because the West has 10 teams and the East has 9 - when they trimmed the playoff spots down from 8 to 6, I'd imagine that the West members wanted an extra playoff spot (since that division is very parity-rich).

But without any inside knowledge of last season's coaches meetings and realignment, i am sure, too, that there was some politicking involved - I know that's the case for realignment, with Nipissing and York switching divisions.

Laurier ties it up with 6.7 seconds left in the game. Wins it 55 seconds into overtime.
Too bad it was being played on Super Bowl Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00