GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Clayton Keller joining the brigade of guys getting hit in the face while their mouth guards are hanging out.

God, I’d rather a player not use a mouth guard at all if “wearing” it just means chewing on it the whole time. Patrick Kane destroyed hockey.
I remember in the late 90s there was a rumor you could boil your mouthguard to shape it, then cool it in gatorade to lock in the gatorade taste. Definitely didnt work.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Karlsson pacing for like 60 points. Even with us eating $1.5 million that's still one of the worst contracts in the league. He's signed until he's 37! Incredible work selling high by Grier and Quinn.
So I was 100% with you but the advanced stats show he's not as bad as it looks. He's both playing pretty well (99%ile offensively and just under average defensively), and I'm also in full agreement with you that I think it was a great job selling high. Here's stats from Athletic's advanced model "player cards" that show Karl is basically just below his contract value without retention right now, meaning if we had kept him he's not giving us any contract surplus and we're stuck with that for more years (plus he might be playing worse on the sharks as these models seem to underestimate team impacts). As it is, he's a net positive to the Pens but there's that 3 more years of contract problem...

1000007206.png

1000007207.png

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So I was 100% with you but the advanced stats show he's not as bad as it looks. He's both playing pretty well (99%ile offensively and just under average defensively), and I'm also in full agreement with you that I think it was a great job selling high. Here's stats from Athletic's advanced model "player cards" that show Karl is basically just below his contract value without retention right now, meaning if we had kept him he's not giving us any contract surplus and we're stuck with that for more years (plus he might be playing worse on the sharks as these models seem to underestimate team impacts). As it is, he's a net positive to the Pens but there's that 3 more years of contract problem...

View attachment 808650
View attachment 808651
IIRC Karlsson was the literal worst or at least among the five worst defensive players in the entire league last season. Basically that's what it takes for him to score 100 points - completely abandoning any pretense of playing his position. Don't get me wrong, very few defensemen in league history have ever been capable of scoring at that level even if concentrating 100% on offense but you look at defensemen like Hughes and Makar who are elite defensively and scoring at ~100 point paces and those are the guys who are actually worth $10+ million a year.

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Ducks up three zip over the Sabres in the 2nd and I still feel like they're going to fold. If they get another top 5 pick fine, but if they pick ahead of us AGAIN then that's really going to be upsetting. If Verbeek deals Vatrano at the deadline Grier is gonna have to get creative

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Nathan Mackinnon scored 4 goals yesterday. Not sure if he's aware of Joe T's Cock-trick, but he did get bras and a thong thrown on the ice:

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It’s unbelievably funny to read Penguins fans talking about how they’d re-do the Karlsson trade easily because the value was so good in one breath and then about trying to trade him away this summer and how they could “probably” get a 1st from a contender if they retained $4M in the other.

I love EK but the fact that we were able to move that contract was a goddamn miracle, never mind adding the Penguins’ 1st, which is going to be a damn good pick.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It’s unbelievably funny to read Penguins fans talking about how they’d re-do the Karlsson trade easily because the value was so good in one breath and then about trying to trade him away this summer and how they could “probably” get a 1st from a contender if they retained $4M in the other.

I love EK but the fact that we were able to move that contract was a goddamn miracle, never mind adding the Penguins’ 1st, which is going to be a damn good pick.

Oh Penguins fans lol

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Yea all the talk over the summer about how we didn't maximize value in optimal way just kinda goes out the window when he literally had severe negative value just 6 months before. You just can't expect anybody to break the bank for Karlsson.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
EK is on pace for like 60 points. In no world is that worth $10 million coupled with his brand of "defense."

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So… looks like David Jiricek is malcontent in Columbus (not enough playing time, not being on the PP). If he wants a trade, do we pony up and give them Smith? Columbus was really high on Smith, I bet they’d do it.

1) Do his claims have merit?
2) If possible, can he be obtained without trading Smith? Even for Pittsburgh and NJD's first

Edit: Or, the Sharks taking on Merzlikins and his contract?

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
1) Do his claims have merit?
2) If possible, can he be obtained without trading Smith? Even for Pittsburgh and NJD's first

Edit: Or, the Sharks taking on Merzlikins and his contract?
We might be able to get his brother for the PIT pick... Brother sounds a bit less upside but also a bit less downside. Stable.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023

This post is going to age poorly when we're picking 29th or 30th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad