Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Oct 18, 2011
On the main board @Zegs2sendhelp and I were discussing the value of an extended Rantanen to Anaheim and I wanted to see what the Ducks board’s general sentiment would be on a trade like this.

Rantanen (27) has one year left at $9.25m. He’s coming off his second straight 100 point season. He would likely be looking for an extension in the range of $11.5-13m just given comparables in Nylander (8x$11.5m) and Pasternak (8x$11.25m).

The value discussion was in the lines of the following:
Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

What are Duck’s fans thoughts?
Anaheim do not need to be making these kind of trades right now, Anaheim has lots of needs a trade like this at the end of the day gets them where? It would be different if maybe they were a piece from being good but they're not

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
On the main board @Zegs2sendhelp and I were discussing the value of an extended Rantanen to Anaheim and I wanted to see what the Ducks board’s general sentiment would be on a trade like this.

Rantanen (27) has one year left at $9.25m. He’s coming off his second straight 100 point season. He would likely be looking for an extension in the range of $11.5-13m just given comparables in Nylander (8x$11.5m) and Pasternak (8x$11.25m).

The value discussion was in the lines of the following:
Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

What are Duck’s fans thoughts?

I would do Terry and LaCombe for Rantanen. You just can't look past the size and his scoring ability. Both of which are needed here.

Reactions: lwvs84

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Why would COL move Rantanen? They're still in a cup window with prime Mac/Makar/Toews/etc. Their cap situation isn't horrendous or anything. Upping Rantanen from $9.25M to $11/12M isn't going to hamstring them that much, and trading him is just going to make them worse in the short term no matter what they get in return.

Reactions: gilfaizon

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
That should pretty much guarantee TB is out on Stamkos. Will be interesting to see who's able and willing to give him 9-10m's/yr.

I think Verbeek is going to make an offer for sure

Reactions: Kalv

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Never know with Tampa, they might have some cap circumvention up their sleeve, but it sure looks like they don’t have space for Stamkos.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I'd definitely throw 2x10M at Stamkos and see if he bites. We'd get a great mentor and leader for the two seasons, can shelter our youth and can easily afford him for that duration, as the most expensive extensions would be in 2026, at the end of this deal. Stammer can cash in and leave for a contender at the TDL in 2026, looking to get another Cup as well as another contract in the realm of 3x6 or so.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I get why people want to add Stamkos but I have no clue why people are eager to throw $10M a year at him

On a two year deal (or less I guess) I don't mind giving that type of inflated salary as a bit of a tradeoff for lack of term. A three year deal at a more reasonable number may be a decent compromise. Anything getting into long term and I just can't get behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad