Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Furthermore, PV stated he's adding a top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman and they are usually not cheap. He's probably not spending to the cap but I'm expecting sizable additions because that's what's needed.
Ducks will hit 70million after everything settles.. I expect an overpayment given to stamkos

Reactions: Rasp

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I've said this before, but i'd really like one of the Top 6 FWD/RHD acquired through the use of Edm 1st/Our 2nd. Not sure which cap casualties will be available but i'd prefer to not spend in FA on both of those holes.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Friedman mentioned on his Friday podcast that Necas is most likely not re-signing in Carolina. There are two main reasons: money and position.

I know some here have suggested trading for him but I think it's the wrong fit. The money part of the equation isn't an issue, but he wants to play center. The Ducks have no room at all at center and it would end up being the same issue that Carolina is dealing with.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Friedman mentioned on his Friday podcast that Necas is most likely not re-signing in Carolina. There are two main reasons: money and position.

I know some here have suggested trading for him but I think it's the wrong fit. The money part of the equation isn't an issue, but he wants to play center. The Ducks have no room at all at center and it would end up being the same issue that Carolina is dealing with.
I think he settles at top wing or 2c…. If he’s viable at 2c he certainly could play 2c for us

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I’d love Brady.

Would do:

Ducks: 3rd overall, zegras, zelleweger
Ott: 7th overall, tkachuk

Don’t know if that gets it done. All the maid board Zegras trade threads have me confused on whether he is a blue chip trade piece or hot garbage.

I'll disagree with some. I think Ottawa would/could do this deal. Maybe the ducks add another small piece.

This would be a huge haul for any player. Zelleweger is essentially a first round pick (yes I know he wasn't technically) and grade a prospect. Zegras is a top young player. And at 3 Ottawa gets a very good player.

I know Ott has young d-men. Not sure how Z fits. But as others have pointed out, Luneau could be swapped.

I think he settles at top wing or 2c…. If he’s viable at 2c he certainly could play 2c for us
Recognizing the limits of plus/minus, it is a bit glaring that Necas was -9 on very strong Carolina team.

Beyond that, do the ducks need another "maybe 2c"? If he wants to play center (?) and presumably be paid like one, seems like not the best fit

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'll disagree with some. I think Ottawa would/could do this deal. Maybe the ducks add another small piece.

This would be a huge haul for any player. Zelleweger is essentially a first round pick (yes I know he wasn't technically) and grade a prospect. Zegras is a top young player. And at 3 Ottawa gets a very good player.

I know Ott has young d-men. Not sure how Z fits. But as others have pointed out, Luneau could be swapped.

Recognizing the limits of plus/minus, it is a bit glaring that Necas was -9 on very strong Carolina team.

Beyond that, do the ducks need another "maybe 2c"? If he wants to play center (?) and presumably be paid like one, seems like not the best fit
Meh people keep saying Stamkos and he was a -21 on a playoff team, and much more likely to be regressing.

I don’t care too much about +\-

What other rhs are out there?

Arvidsson?

Reactions: Kalv

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I’d love Brady.

Would do:

Ducks: 3rd overall, zegras, zelleweger
Ott: 7th overall, tkachuk

Don’t know if that gets it done. All the maid board Zegras trade threads have me confused on whether he is a blue chip trade piece or hot garbage.
Ducks need the third overall to replace Drysdale IMO. Losing Zelleweger as well and you're left with a lot of holes and question marks on the defensive side of things and i'm not sure there's going to be any answers by the time 7th overall comes around unless you're high on Zanye Parekh as the teams future top pairing D.

Tkachuk is the best player in the deal but thats a lot of assets and the Ducks need as many assets as they can get until they establish what exactly the team is.

Reactions: duckpuck

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Furthermore, PV stated he's adding a top 6 winger and top 4 defenseman and they are usually not cheap. He's probably not spending to the cap but I'm expecting sizable additions because that's what's needed.
When he said that at the season ticket holder thing he put in a disclaimer that he wasn’t sure he’d be able to manage it. I think he’s either got an internal cap number he wants to save for future years, or has some insight into how much his targets actually want to sign here.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Ducks need the third overall to replace Drysdale IMO. Losing Zelleweger as well and you're left with a lot of holes and question marks on the defensive side of things and i'm not sure there's going to be any answers by the time 7th overall comes around unless you're high on Zanye Parekh as the teams future top pairing D.

Tkachuk is the best player in the deal but thats a lot of assets and the Ducks need as many assets as they can get until they establish what exactly the team is.

At pick 7, only like 2 or 3 of the defensemen will have gone as Celebrini, Demidov, lindstom and one of Catton/iginla/eiserman are likely all go top 6.

It is probable that a few of silayev, levushov, Bium, Parekh, Dickinson and Yakemchuk will be there at 7 and honestly I have a hard time picking between these guys. Now if Madden has a guy he is dead set on, I don’t do the deal and hope the ducks make the pick at 3. However, if they feel like I do that there is not a lot separating these guys, then all think the deal makes sense.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
On the main board @Zegs2sendhelp and I were discussing the value of an extended Rantanen to Anaheim and I wanted to see what the Ducks board’s general sentiment would be on a trade like this.

Rantanen (27) has one year left at $9.25m. He’s coming off his second straight 100 point season. He would likely be looking for an extension in the range of $11.5-13m just given comparables in Nylander (8x$11.5m) and Pasternak (8x$11.25m).

The value discussion was in the lines of the following:
Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

What are Duck’s fans thoughts?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
On the main board @Zegs2sendhelp and I were discussing the value of an extended Rantanen to Anaheim and I wanted to see what the Ducks board’s general sentiment would be on a trade like this.

Rantanen (27) has one year left at $9.25m. He’s coming off his second straight 100 point season. He would likely be looking for an extension in the range of $11.5-13m just given comparables in Nylander (8x$11.5m) and Pasternak (8x$11.25m).

Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

As much as I want lacombe to be shipped out in some sort of package deal. This isn’t the deal for that. Ducks give up way way too much here.

Reactions: duckpuck

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

I would do something based on Terry and the 3rd plus. Not including Zegras or McTavish.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

think the ducks wouldn't be smart to be paying a winger in the double digits. the purposed value is probably fair but I think it be a mistake to invest that much money in a guy who probably doesn't reach those point totals here.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
When he said that at the season ticket holder thing he put in a disclaimer that he wasn’t sure he’d be able to manage it. I think he’s either got an internal cap number he wants to save for future years, or has some insight into how much his targets actually want to sign here.

I remember GM Murray doing something similar in a 2020-21 post-season interview. He said he had a few defensive prospects (LaCombe, Thrun, and Moore) that he could trade, but wasn't sure if the rebuild team was ready to make the next jump.

It's probably GM speak to give the fans some hope. I think Verbeek should follow Murray's example and let the team continue to develop another season to see who rises, stagnates, or falls with all of our prospects, including the ones in the AHL. There's just too many moving parts, so to speak. Although, adding a top-4 RD could lessen the need to take a defenseman in the Draft. Problem is that FA starts days after the draft. Are teams and players allowed to talk before FA starts?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I remember GM Murray doing something similar in a 2020-21 post-season interview. He said he had a few defensive prospects (LaCombe, Thrun, and Moore) that he could trade, but wasn't sure if the rebuild team was ready to make the next jump.

It's probably GM speak to give the fans some hope. I think Verbeek should follow Murray's example and let the team continue to develop another season to see who rises, stagnates, or falls with all of our prospects, including the ones in the AHL. There's just too many moving parts, so to speak. Although, adding a top-4 RD could lessen the need to take a defenseman in the Draft. Problem is that FA starts days after the draft. Are teams and players allowed to talk before FA starts?

Not anymore, it definitely happens but its technically not supposed to. I don't think the pending addition of a dman will have any effect on how/who the Ducks should select at #3. You draft up here to get guys that make OTHERS expendable, not the other way around.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
think the ducks wouldn't be smart to be paying a winger in the double digits. the purposed value is probably fair but I think it be a mistake to invest that much money in a guy who probably doesn't reach those point totals here.

Hard to say if he hits 100 points with the Ducks, but I think he’d still be a 90+ point player and the perfect linemate for Carlsson.

I can understand not wanting to pay a top winger that, however he does provide center skills such as helping with draws.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

Zegras or McTavish
3rd overall or Terry
Lacombe
Clara

That's a ridiculous overpayment, and he's not worth 11+. He turns 28 in October, and he'll be past his prime with a brutal contract to boot when most of our core guys are in their prime.

No, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad