Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Getting Brady Tkachuk would instantly make this team a contender. I'd give up Carlsson but I'm guessing would take more but reasonable to think Anaheim does have the pieces unlike most teams
Thank god you’re not GM.

There are less then 10 players in the league I would trade him for, and he isn’t even the best Tkachuk brother.

And the idea that he would make the Ducks, a worse roster then the one he is on now, a contender when his current team can’t even make the playoffs is hilarious.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Marner at over 8.5M a year is an overpay in terms of what he could bring to this roster. Let's not make the same mistakes Toronto made, with the exact same player to boot.
Yeah I would actually like Marner on this team but not for the money he's definitely going to want (11m+). Anything above that 8.5 you talked about, I'd want that guy to be more of a playoff performer and x-factor than he has ever shown he can be.

I don't think throwing a lot of money blindly at a guy just because he's shown he can put up 90 points in the regular season in a high scoring league is a good idea and that can trickle down to affect the roster if their example set by the highest paid player on the team isn't dynamic enough to tilt the ice in the postseason.

Guys like MacKinnon, McDavid, Pastrnak, Panarin, Eichel, Matthews (he's a playoff ghost, but you can't argue with his high goal totals), Barkov, and I'll admit it, Doughty and Kopitar rightfully deserve their 10m+ AAV contracts because of how much their team's performance runs through their individual ability/impact. Guys like Karlsson (these days), Huberdeau, Marner, and Tavares, not so much.

Marner on this team would be a lot like what Teemu was post 05 era. He'll chip in a fairly high amount of offense in the regular season but you're not going to look to him to drive the team like a true elite superstar, he's not going to be involved much defensively, he's not going to be very involved in the physically demanding aspects of the game, and his offense is going to be stifled in the playoffs. Which was fine in the return of Teemu era because he always took discounts to play for us. I am not comfortable seeing this team throw Marner 10+ million for the next 6-9 years for what that amount of money would actually buy this team. I've never agreed with the notion that just because it's rare for a guy with that kind of talent to be available, you need to do whatever you can to get him and throw all caution to the wind on long term impact of an overpay.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thank god you’re not GM.

There are less then 10 players in the league I would trade him for, and he isn’t even the best Tkachuk brother.

And the idea that he would make the Ducks, a worse roster then the one he is on now, a contender when his current team can’t even make the playoffs is hilarious.
If Dirk was GM we'd have three fourth lines and Ross Johnston would probably be talented enough to be on the second line.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Thank god you’re not GM.

I mean, this is true, but Brady is really good in his own right. A 40+ goal guy easily the next 5-10 years and a premier power forward. Still more room to improve as he’s only 24.

I do wonder if Verbeek would consider like McTavish+ for him. Have to remember that Verbeek didn’t draft Mac as much as we all like him. I agree that Carlsson won’t be available

Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn
Tkachuk-Zegras-Marchessault
Vatrano-Strome-Terry

Would be a pretty awesome team

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
There was rumors late in the season that he wanted out, swiftly debunked by an insider. There’s still some other smoke though and with how things have gone in Ottawa I wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted out.

Would love to get him but no way I’m trading Carlsson

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Dirk was GM we'd have three fourth lines and Ross Johnston would probably be talented enough to be on the second line.
Dirk type dream team:
Landeskog/Getzlaf/Wilson
Tkachuk/Cutter/Tkachuk
Moen/Kesler/Perry
Deslauriers/Gaucher/Parros

Pronger/Chara
Beauchemin/Weber
Bieksa/Phaneuf

Binnington
Gibson

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Dirk type dream team:
Landeskog/Getzlaf/Wilson
Tkachuk/Cutter/Tkachuk
Moen/Kesler/Perry
Deslauriers/Gaucher/Parros

Pronger/Chara
Beauchemin/Weber
Bieksa/Phaneuf

Binnington
Gibson
Goddamn the ravages of time that they couldn't be in their primes at the same time. The goalies cracked me up. Especially since Binnington is a fake tough guy. A pissed off Robin Lehner feels more up Dirk's alley.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Goddamn the ravages of time that they couldn't be in their primes at the same time. The goalies cracked me up. Especially since Binnington is a fake tough guy. A pissed off Robin Lehner feels more up Dirk's alley.3
I thought of putting in Ray Emery because he had 2 fights in 07 and one in 2013 , just so sad he died too young.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I’d love Brady.

Would do:

Ducks: 3rd overall, zegras, zelleweger
Ott: 7th overall, tkachuk

Don’t know if that gets it done. All the maid board Zegras trade threads have me confused on whether he is a blue chip trade piece or hot garbage.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’d love Brady.

Would do:

Ducks: 3rd overall, zegras, zelleweger
Ott: 7th overall, tkachuk

Don’t know if that gets it done. All the maid board Zegras trade threads have me confused on whether he is a blue chip trade piece or hot garbage.
It might actually take something like that but I wouldn’t make such a trade. Just too many resources flowing out. I still have high hopes for Zegs but who knows how Pat sees him.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Amazing how many people are now on board with trading z OUR BEST PLAYER all staring with a bs rumor

I have very little interest in trading Zegras. The only way I do it is if it is in the rare event it is for an upgrade (like Brady). I have no interest in trading Zegras for picks, prospects or a package of lesser talents.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Amazing how many people are now on board with trading z OUR BEST PLAYER all staring with a bs rumor
Pretty sure Carlsson is gonna pass up Zegras in terms of production eventually in a year or two.
The team seems to view him as having a much higher ceiling/floor, He went straight to the NHL while Z needed a year in College and thats coming from a GM Verbeen who thinks prospects need more time to marinate.

Reactions: Leonardo87

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
God damn, when did Zadorov become such a funny personality… I’d love to overpay to add him to our team. Him and Gudas would be such an amazing duel and good for our young defensemen.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Pretty sure Carlsson is gonna pass up Zegras in terms of production eventually in a year or two.
The team seems to view him as having a much higher ceiling/floor, He went straight to the NHL while Z needed a year in College and thats coming from a GM Verbeen who thinks prospects need more time to marinate.
i dont think this really means anything. he might have said this, but his actions have proven otherwise. luneau, minty, and zell all went into the nhl without much marinating.

Reactions: Deuce22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad