Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think it would be an excellent addition to the bottom 6...

if we have the extra cap space, and still plan on being relative to the playoff race i think hed be a great addition.

He's a good lead by example guy, sort of like Cogs. Always high energy and plays way bigger than his size. Would be huge to have a right handed center as well, we are heavy on lefties

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's a good lead by example guy, sort of like Cogs. Always high energy and plays way bigger than his size. Would be huge to have a right handed center as well, we are heavy on lefties
Couldnt agree more across the board... and his contract ends before our big RFA year

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think we should go heavy the next 2 years while the young players have value contracts.

- Can prob get pageau for 3rd this year
- sign Stamkos 2 years 9 a year
- sign demelo 3 years 4.5- 5.5 a year
- bring back leason, lacombe, lindstrom

Gauthier carlsson terry
Killorn zegras Stamkos
Vatrano mctavish strome
_______ Pageau leason
Johnson
Open spot could be jones, regenda another short contract vet that kills penalties.

Mintyukov demelo
Fowler lindstrom
Zellweger gudas
Lacombe
Luneau - in ahl to start

Dostal
Look to trade gibson and bring a vet/playoff expierenced goalie in… worst case keep gibson as that
I feel like Colangelo is going to win a spot with the big club but I like a lot of that other than Lacombe in the press box. Colangelo is an excellent role player that can help the team in a lot of ways other than just scoring. He makes us a tougher team to play against. All that is based off of 1 game that I’ve seen though lol.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Couldnt agree more across the board... and his contract ends before our big RFA year
My concern with JGP is will he be happy as a 4c here? The money is what it is but that role might not feel too great. Especially if we are trying to run 3 lines with Carlsson/Z/McT down the middle and giving them the bulk of the ice time.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like Colangelo is going to win a spot with the big club but I like a lot of that other than Lacombe in the press box. Colangelo is an excellent role player that can help the team in a lot of ways other than just scoring. He makes us a tougher team to play against. All that is based off of 1 game that I’ve seen though lol.
Ya i kinda feel like Colangelo + Luneau could use some AHL time personally... thats why i had Lindstrom signed to be with the big club while we wait for Luneau to be ready.

As for PG... i think its a move that addresses PK/faceoffs, bottom 6 and like you mentioned another RH center... but id still hope wed go after a top 6 RW to play in the top 6.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd be down for Pageau. Anyone else feeling sus about Roy after watching the LA series?

Meh those oiler forwards can make a lot of dmen look silly at times, my opinion on Roy hasn’t changed I think he’d be an excellent fit

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Mintyukov demelo
Fowler lindstrom
Zellweger gudas
Lacombe
Luneau - in ahl to start

Dostal
Look to trade gibson and bring a vet/playoff expierenced goalie in… worst case keep gibson as that

What a waste to have LaCombe as a rotational piece for a youth. Just send him to the AHL as a full time starter and use Vaak in the rotational role in the NHL. But sending LaCombe to the AHL feels dumb after keeping him in the NHL for 71 games.

Just for reference...

Minty
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitBlocksComment
Total6342428-208565Total
1 to 202011011-130243rd pair
21 to 634331417-195541top-4 minutes

Zell
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitBlocksComments
Total26279-61438total
1st call up30110353rd pair
2nd call up23268-611331st pair

LaCombe
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitBlocksComments
Total7121517-2450129Total
1 to 2020033-1618281st pair for 14 games
21 to 715121214-8321011st to 3rd pair

LaCombe looks as though he's adapted to the NHL after being sacrificed to the top pairing role because Drysdale got injured, Luneau didn't look ready, and Vaak cannot play on the right side. LaCombe passed up Fowler for blocked shots and finished third on the team, which includes Lybushkin at #2 (138 blocks) and Gudas at #1 (154 blocks).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This would be unfortunate for us.

A cautionary tale of why you don't always sell off everything that isn't tied down when you are in a down year. Ottawa traded Demelo to Winnipeg as a deadline rental for a 3rd round pick, when the Sens really ought to have just signed him. The Jets ended up keeping him around on a very reasonable rate of 12M/4 years covering ages 27-30.

Fast forward through the contract, he's just turned 31 yesterday, still a steady top 4 right shot defender and the Sens have been lacking one ever since he left. They've gone with half measures like Hamonic who is much older and just not nearly as useful, and Zaitsev who was downright bad. The goalie prospect the Sens drafted with the acquired pick (70th overall 2020) is not a complete write-off, but did spend over a third of his season in the ECHL this year. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/499423/leevi-merilainen

Most definitely not a sufficient return for the prime years of a NHL RD of any decent quality really.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
No issue with him if we strike out on Roy and Pesce.
We can’t strike out on Roy or Pesce. Or if somehow there are players of their caliber/age available for trade then we go that route. This player coming in solidifies our defense to much/well. Let’s just get it done. Slight overpayment is absolutely fine.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Don't expect more than a RW like Arvidsson, RD like Desharnais or Chatfield, and maybe a grinder like Lafferty. And even those will come with higher term and cap hit than expected.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
No issue with him if we strike out on Roy and Pesce.

I just can't see the Kings letting go of Roy, tbh, especially when Doughty will be crying again about being in playoff contention. According to capfriendly, the Kings have almost $21 mil cap space going into next season. They can afford to bring Roy back.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What about Sean Walker?
Hes solid tbh... might not be as sexy as Roy/Pesce but would still be a solid move for us... and maybe a more realistic choice(specially if we draft someone like Levshunov/Yakemchuk, that should be here in the next 2-3 years)

We can’t strike out on Roy or Pesce. Or if somehow there are players of their caliber/age available for trade then we go that route. This player coming in solidifies our defense to much/well. Let’s just get it done. Slight overpayment is absolutely fine.
Very easily could strike out on Pesce and Roy.... Idk that i want to give either guy 7 years, but i imagine certain teams will.

I think there is a pretty good chance Pesce resigns in Carolina.... and i imagine Utah will throw a pretty big # that we should not match at Roy.

Guys like Demelo, Walker or maybe trade options not listed yet are pretty realistic.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I just can't see the Kings letting go of Roy, tbh, especially when Doughty will be crying again about being in playoff contention. According to capfriendly, the Kings have almost $21 mil cap space going into next season. They can afford to bring Roy back.
Spence is Roys replacement.. plus they need money to give to Byfield

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kings fans seem to think they cant

21 million
12 players signed
0 goalies

I think you prob can say
Spence + byfield is going to take close to 10 mil
-You have decisions to make on lizzotte, grundstrum, Kaliyev
- need to replace arvidssons scoring or resign him
-address goalie situation... maybe Portillo used as the back up, but you still need a solid goalie
If you dont address goalie, really no point to bring back Roy, team aint going anywhere.

Just off goalies + byfield + spence... you could be looking at 12-15 mil(depending on how cheap you go on goalie) and you still have a # of spots to fill on the roster. Its a pretty tight situation in LA, and they have a lot they need to address/improve. Maybe if roy will sign for under 5 they can make it work, but i imagine he knows hell get 5.5-7 on open market pretty easily.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Kings fans seem to think they cant

21 million
12 players signed
0 goalies

I think you prob can say
Spence + byfield is going to take close to 10 mil
-You have decisions to make on lizzotte, grundstrum, Kaliyev
- need to replace arvidssons scoring or resign him
-address goalie situation... maybe Portillo used as the back up, but you still need a solid goalie
If you dont address goalie, really no point to bring back Roy, team aint going anywhere.

Just off goalies + byfield + spence... you could be looking at 12-15 mil(depending on how cheap you go on goalie) and you still have a # of spots to fill on the roster. Its a pretty tight situation in LA, and they have a lot they need to address/improve. Maybe if roy will sign for under 5 they can make it work, but i imagine he knows hell get 5.5-7 on open market pretty easily.

Byfield has one good season out of three seasons. He's in no position to earn what Zegras earned, which was $5.75 mil for 3 seasons. Spence is a 3rd pairing OFD, he's nearly 60% OZone starts. He earned 24 points in his first, full season in his D+6 season. Drysdale earned 32 points in his D+2 season in the NHL.

Byfield + Spence = $10 mil feels like a high overvalue. I'd rather trade away Spence and bring up RD Clarke on his ELC price.

Arvidsson was injury riddled this season, playing only 18 games. I don't think the Kings missed him much, but they surely did miss him in the playoffs. Turcotte had a bounce back season in the AHL and could be a way to go on the cheap.

As for goalies, they can get Stolarz on the cheap as a backup or 1A/1B option with a rookie, Portillo. Both guys are 6'6 and maybe Stolarz could be that coach on the ice for Portillo. Portillo is 3-0-0 in the Calder playoffs (AHL) with a Sv% of 0.962 and a GAA of 1.00.

I think if they lose Roy, then that's a significant part of their defense gone. And you're relying on a rookie Clarke and small and sheltered OFD Spence on the right side. Also, figure in everyone is expecting Doughty's game to drop any season now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Byfield has one good season out of three seasons. He's in no position to earn what Zegras earned, which was $5.75 mil for 3 seasons. Spence is a 3rd pairing OFD, he's nearly 60% OZone starts. He earned 24 points in his first, full season in his D+6 season. Drysdale earned 32 points in his D+2 season in the NHL.

Byfield + Spence = $10 mil feels like a high overvalue. I'd rather trade away Spence and bring up RD Clarke on his ELC price.

Arvidsson was injury riddled this season, playing only 18 games. I don't think the Kings missed him much, but they surely did miss him in the playoffs. Turcotte had a bounce back season in the AHL and could be a way to go on the cheap.

As for goalies, they can get Stolarz on the cheap as a backup or 1A/1B option with a rookie, Portillo. Both guys are 6'6 and maybe Stolarz could be that coach on the ice for Portillo. Portillo is 3-0-0 in the Calder playoffs (AHL) with a Sv% of 0.962 and a GAA of 1.00.

I think if they lose Roy, then that's a significant part of their defense gone. And you're relying on a rookie Clarke and small and sheltered OFD Spence on the right side. Also, figure in everyone is expecting Doughty's game to drop any season now.
Eh maybe not arvidsson specifically but they def missed the scoring punch they thought they’d have from him.

Regardless it’s pretty tight…. Maybe they can make it work I guess we’ll see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad