2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This just seems like a silly conclusion.

The powerplay production was horrible.

But why stop at just blaming the defenseman? If Sanheim isn’t a powerplay player, does that mean TK is also not a PP player? Nobody on the team has a lower P/60 on the PP this season that TK. What about Owen Tippett? Another player with a worse P/60 on the PP than at ES.

Or maybe it’s tough to draw such conclusions when the entire unit is rotten and the PP coach is a neanderthal whose ideas about how to run a powerplay are straight out of the 90s.
Take Konency off PP1!! :DD

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Watching the American All Star Classic on NHL Network

Button:

"Connelly posted a Swastika on the Internet at 16. Didn't know what it meant, he said.
Says he is sorry. "

Sure kid. What the f*** did you learn in 8th civics kid?????

Me:

Mustard is a speed demon. Hage would be a nice replacement for Laughton. Reeder is a Torts kind of guy. Eiserman is both reaaly good and really awful at the same time. Defensemen : hard to tell, maybe Plante and Emery, so far?????

After 2:

Boisvert is a lanky fellow who made a few players. Again Emery on D.

Mustard with OT game winner. Blew past Plante.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Tuomalaa might make it to the show. We have so much depth at wing we should be running four scoring lines honestly when Michkov comes over.

Are people getting higher on him given his pretty good AHL season? 30th in scoring, just turned 21, heading to the AHL AS game. Maybe to definitely making it in the NHL?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's close to 0.5 PPG at ES, which is darn good given he spent the first part of the season in the bottom six in more of a checking role.

I think Tuomaala will need another year in the AHL, missed almost a full year of development, then a year in Mestis which is probably ECHL or below in quality. But he has very good speed, a good shot, a squat body that'll work well in the NHL.

Just no reason to rush him, watching Brink struggle after dominating the NCAA shows you how hard the transition to the NHL is for most prospects.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brink is 11th in rookie scoring, 8th in ES rookie scoring.

Were people expecting more?
He's fallen off the last month, and right now, if he isn't scoring, he's a liability.

Which is why I don't mind if they rotate him in and out, he still needs to get stronger and probably a stride faster and it may take a couple years. I'm not disappointed in him, I think it's just a matter of patience (and probably finding a center with whom he's a good fit).

Difference with a guy like Foerster, who is high IQ (the puck finds him) and has a NHL body, even when he isn't scoring, he's doing good things at both ends.

Reactions: renberg

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He's fallen off the last month, and right now, if he isn't scoring, he's a liability.

Which is why I don't mind if they rotate him in and out, he still needs to get stronger and probably a stride faster and it may take a couple years. I'm not disappointed in him, I think it's just a matter of patience (and probably finding a center with whom he's a good fit).

Difference with a guy like Foerster, who is high IQ (the puck finds him) and has a NHL body, even when he isn't scoring, he's doing good things at both ends.
No one scores playing with Deslauriers.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
What is Brink's IQ. I thought that was one of his strengths but someone was saying the other day that it is not one of his qualities....
I wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't say Brink doesn't have high IQ. He's been a top scorer everywhere he's been, despite being one of the smallest and youngest player with moderate athletic ability. Processing is one of his strengths.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't say Brink doesn't have high IQ. He's been a top scorer everywhere he's been, despite being one of the smallest and youngest player with moderate athletic ability. Processing is one of his strengths.
Offensive vision isn't quite synonymous to high IQ to me.

High IQ players always seem to be in the right place b/c they have the instincts to anticipate where the puck is going. And they do this at both ends of the ice

Guys with good offensive vision see the play unfold, but often don't have the same instincts on defense, b/c at lower levels if you're really productive offensively, HCs often let you slide on defense. So they become focused on making plays, not stopping plays.

Brink also doesn't do a good job with leverage right now, part of his learning curve, gets bounced around a lot.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Offensive vision isn't quite synonymous to high IQ to me.

High IQ players always seem to be in the right place b/c they have the instincts to anticipate where the puck is going. And they do this at both ends of the ice

Guys with good offensive vision see the play unfold, but often don't have the same instincts on defense, b/c at lower levels if you're really productive offensively, HCs often let you slide on defense. So they become focused on making plays, not stopping plays.

Brink also doesn't do a good job with leverage right now, part of his learning curve, gets bounced around a lot.
Yeah. I agree. Brink has been an all-situations player everywhere he's played. He's been a PK guy as well as a PP guy.

He actually has better defensive metrics than he does offensive metrics, according to many sites. And I said this in another thread, but defensive impact does not equal defensive skill. I would agree that he's not the best board player, but he's never going to be. He's still putting up good defensive impact numbers.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah. I agree. Brink has been an all-situations player everywhere he's played. He's been a PK guy as well as a PP guy.

He actually has better defensive metrics than he does offensive metrics, according to many sites. And I said this in another thread, but defensive impact does not equal defensive skill. I would agree that he's not the best board player, but he's never going to be. He's still putting up good defensive impact numbers.
Brink is excellent on the boards, sealing off and picking the puck out of scrums. His superpower is getting the way. His positioning is so good, he breaks up a lot of plays/passes just by being in the right place. On O, he's so creative and has great touch. I want to see him keep playing and getting chances, he will produce.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think he'll improve the next couple years, part of the reason for his fall off is probably shared by a lot of college rookies, he played 51 NCAA/Flyers games two years ago, 44 AHL games last year, so it's not surprising after a good start he kinda hit the wall 30-40 games into a NHL season, where the play is more physical (not just hitting, just big guys leaning on you).

I like to see him in the weight room this summer, and learn how to use leverage, as he gets stronger, being short can give you advantage if you learn how to use that low center of gravity. And to keep working on his skating.

Top speed 22.30 MPH (63 percentile)
20-22 bursts below 50%
18-20 bursts, 58%
distance/60: 93%
So he has good speed, but plays a little slow, but is in constant motion.
So he doesn't need a lot of improvement.

A little stronger, a little quicker, a little more stamina, incremental improvements.
And get him a center better than Laughton/Poehling.
Cates - Rizzo - Brink next season?

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I think he'll improve the next couple years, part of the reason for his fall off is probably shared by a lot of college rookies, he played 51 NCAA/Flyers games two years ago, 44 AHL games last year, so it's not surprising after a good start he kinda hit the wall 30-40 games into a NHL season, where the play is more physical (not just hitting, just big guys leaning on you).

I like to see him in the weight room this summer, and learn how to use leverage, as he gets stronger, being short can give you advantage if you learn how to use that low center of gravity. And to keep working on his skating.

Top speed 22.30 MPH (63 percentile)
20-22 bursts below 50%
18-20 bursts, 58%
distance/60: 93%
So he has good speed, but plays a little slow, but is in constant motion.
So he doesn't need a lot of improvement.

A little stronger, a little quicker, a little more stamina, incremental improvements.
And get him a center better than Laughton/Poehling.
Cates - Rizzo - Brink next season?
I think the Rizzo ship has sailed.....

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Why? If there was a center looking for an organization that has a critical need at that position it’s the Flyers. If I was him, I’d jump on the opportunity in Philly especially if he can sign right after the end of his NCAA season and burn a year off of his entry contract.
I hope you are right. At the moment, this organization is not exactly a desired location. Their philosophy is still archaic which does not appeal the "run and gun" younger generation of players.

Phantoms lost 6-0, some of this has got to be coaching. Every time the get some momentum they lay a turd. The great pick-up Grans was -3.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
@BigToe Jagger >> Cutter

IMG_3670.jpeg

30 more points than Yager lol.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Lappy cruising towards a 7th place in the division finish, one spot worse than last season. :laugh:

Why this organization tolerates the failures at LV is astounding. It borders on Jerry Jones-Mike McCarthy level of ridiculousness.
I get that the big club would want to see individual player progress but still when the team does not experience team success how much individual growth is taking place? Several seasons ago Lappierre could point to a lack of roster talent for the Phantoms’ failures. That’s no longer the case. The lack of growth by prospects is a problem that needs to be addressed and now.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Phantoms lost 6-0 on Wed and losing 3-1 tonight. Watched the highlights from Wednesday. Can they possible get a goalie that can actually stop shots? Every other team seems to have one. Also, they do play D very well which I am sure is a coaching issue....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad