2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Barkey's coach in December:

“I think his edges and his agility laterally have really taken another big step this year. I mean, they were already good but he has done more work on it in the summer and now he’s got this little juke move he can do from forehand to backhand in the neutral zone and then use his lateral agility to get away from guys,” Simpson said. “His skating and his separation speed and east-west agility (have) really taken another step. And then that kind of goes hand-in-hand with his playmaking and his ability to get pucks.”

“The nice thing with Denver is you can put him in any role really that you want,” Simpson said. “Do you want him to play in a skill, top-six role? You can play him with other talented players and he’s got the speed and the hockey sense and the poise that you want. You want him to play in the bottom six? He’s got that too … It’s ‘you want me to play top-line wing? I can do that. You want me to play fourth-line wing and check and kill penalties? I can do that.'”

Bonk:

“He’s a player when he was younger that sometimes I think you can misjudge a little bit because he’s got exceptional hockey sense and what he needed to work on was putting the body and the feet to add to the product so that that hockey sense could play out more and he could use it more on the ice,” Simpson said. “He has grown (now 6-foot-2 and 179 pounds) and turned into a man, now the skills and the athletic ability are coming together which, when you combine that with the hockey sense that he has, it just makes the game a lot easier for him out there because he can read everything before most players and now he’s able to move some pucks with his feet and get out of danger.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

heres his other goal, weird not seeing him in front of the net like he always does every game every single time, i bet alex bump is jealous

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bonk
last 5 games 3-7 10 +8
last 10 games 3-11 14 +15

Now +/- isn't the most reliable stat, but for a guy who doesn't score goals at ES, they don't give up many with him on the ice lately, taking his game up to another level.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
What's the realistic upside on Bonk here?

He has kind of flown under the radar as far as prospects on the big stage go. Are we looking at a second pairing shutdown D? Or does he has an offensive upside?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given he has 38 points in 31 games in his D+1 season, yeah, he has some offensive upside. Now some of that is playing on a loaded squad, but you could say that about a lot of prospects, including Gauthier on BC this season.l

Dickinson on the same team is a year younger, has 39 points in 39 games and a top ten pick in the coming draft, maybe top 5.

ES scoring
Barkey 37g 17-23 40 +25 [SH 6-2 8]
Bonk 31g 1-17 18 +1
Dickinson 39g 6-15 21 +27

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Bonk with 1g 1a after 2.

980 AM radio: if based on the radio broadcast, Saginaw's Misa and Parakh are not doing well; the players on London that are playing well are Bonk, Dickinson and Cowan.

Interesting talk about why Canadian players are moving away from OHL to USHL/NCAA because you can make more money.

Edit: Barkey with a goal

Last edited:

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
It was 6-1 when I turned on a WHL game. Bumper Bonk, he is getting tools in his tool box, when he finishes growing, adding him to our D, nice looking unit we will have in a few years.

Reactions: BillDineen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Seems like they're already doing more for Zamula than Sanheim from the highlights I've seen recently
From what I've seen, Zamula has done more for Zamula than Sanheim did for Sanheim.

Sanheim and York both looked bad on the PP, instant upgrade when Zamula went in, another upgrade when Drysdale was added.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They took Sanheim off the PP when he was leading the team in scoring. No other team does that. :laugh:

Zamula was always a pretty decent PP guy. It's where his strengths (i.e. not skating) can really show - passing and handling. He had really heavy PP production splits in the WHL when he was producing at a good clip. There's a reason he produces on the PP but not at ES - he can't create advantages with his feet necessary at ES.

At the end of the day though, he's a 0.43 PPG in three AHL seasons including 19 in 44 games last year. These guys just aren't regular PP guys in the NHL.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
They took Sanheim off the PP when he was leading the team in scoring. No other team does that. :laugh:

Zamula was always a pretty decent PP guy. It's where his strengths (i.e. not skating) can really show - passing and handling. He had really heavy PP production splits in the WHL when he was producing at a good clip. There's a reason he produces on the PP but not at ES - he can't create advantages with his feet necessary at ES.

At the end of the day though, he's a 0.43 PPG in three AHL seasons including 19 in 44 games last year. These guys just aren't regular PP guys in the NHL.
Ehhh Sanheim has 4 assists and no goals in 41 games when he was the PP QB, the worst PP in the entire league.

Sanheim is a very good player, but he's not a PP player.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ehhh Sanheim has 4 assists and no goals in 41 games when he was the PP QB, the worst PP in the entire league.

Sanheim is a very good player, but he's not a PP player.
Except he wasn't the PP QB for 41 games. It was ~25 games. And those 4 points were most on the team during that time. Again, please tell me what team in the league is taking their leading scorer, both overall and PP, off the PP completely?

And they were the worst PP in the league last year when he didn't get PP time at all. Could there be another reason why the PP was futile?

The team's only solution to PP problems is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. So far Zamula's is sticking. Every defenseman in the current lineup, with the exception of Seeler, has been on the PP at one point on another this year. 6 defensemen halfway through the year! No team does that.

Last edited:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Except he wasn't the PP QB for 41 games. It was ~25 games. And those 4 points were most on the team during that time. Again, please tell me what team in the league is taking their leading scorer, both overall and ES, off the PP completely?

And they were the worst PP in the league last year when he didn't get PP time at all. Could there be another reason why the PP was futile?

The team's only solution to PP problems is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. So far Zamula's is sticking. Every defenseman in the current lineup, with the exception of Seeler, has been on the PP at one point on another this year. 6 defensemen halfway through the year! No team does that.
I mean sure. 25 games, and 4 points. It's still an absolutely brutal return, he didn't exactly pass the eye test either. So the PP was shit when he was on it, and it was shit when he wasn't. But it's now performing at a significantly higher level with someone else?

Zamula does pass that eye test at the moment. He creates, he gets his shots through and he's pretty adept at passing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad