Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised by Eller in the playoffs, but I don't want him back unless he's on a cheap deal. Just getting up there in age. Compher I'd like to have back but not at what his open market value will likely be. Guy stepped up big time this year despite everyone making him into the whipping boy. Not his fault he just isn't that good. Would make an excellent 3rd liner again, just unlikely it would happen.

Stepped up to the tune of 2 pt in 7 games these playoffs. ZERO pts 5v5. Hopefully he gets a 6x6.

This is the man CMac thought should be our #2 pivot for the cup defence. Bodes well for the future of this team to have such an astute evaluator of centre talent at the helm.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think both Helm and Cogliano retire. Would have said Cogliano returns pre-injury but a fractured neck seems like something that'll put him out.

Re-sign JMFJ if he's willing to come in at 900K max. Ditto EJ. Send both MacDermid and Hunt to the AHL.

Mentioned in the other thread, if Rodrigues wants 2M max he can return otherwise let him walk.

Compher can walk. Paying him any more than 3M will be a mistake. He showed his true colours post-TDL and in the playoffs.

Let Nieto walk. He provides nothing this team needs. Not intense enough to play bottom six on this team.

If Eller wants to return and play 4C for 1M bring him back. Otherwise let him walk, too.

Sick of the Alex Newhook experiment. Ship him out this Summer. Might throw Ben Meyers into the mix there, too. Thought he was horrific this season.

God, there is SO much to do to fix this roster especially with the looming Landeskog and Nichushkin questions.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
The only sizeable raise due on RFAs is Byram, and even his case for a big bump is hindered by the injury history. It screams 2 year bridge contract in the 3 million per range. Newhook can be dangled for a trade but ultimately it is best to accept that he isn't the Top 6 guy people hoped for. Still think he can be a reliable bottom 6 guy that is capable of playing up a line if injuries occur.

I don't see Helm, Cogs, Eller, or JJ as options. EJ if he wants to play one more year at 1 million per? Sure. My hope is that everything I've read about him is true: He has his horses, he and his wife didn't want kids till his playing days were over, etc. and he retires as an Av, gets a great ceremony next season, and maybe moves into player development. Great guy, seen a lot of highs and lows, and would be great to keep in the organization.

Compher? Some team is going to overpay and I want JT to cash in. He can be frustrating but I refuse to hate any guy that was part of the journey from worst to Champs. Best of luck to him.

Its an unpopular opinion but the best trade chip is Devon Toews. Affordable cap hit to a team that is looking for some legit D, expiring contract the Avs likely cannot afford to renew, and as the key part of a multi-player/asset deal he can either bring in a Top 6 forward with term or a young guy and some picks, etc. If you want a 'hockey trade' he is the guy. If you want to shed salary but still have to take back a bottom 6 guy or some mid round picks? That's the Girard trade. Toews is not the trade I'd *want* to make but it's the trade you probably need to do.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's the problem I have with trading Toews:

He was mediocre in the regular season - as most Avs were - but in the playoffs he was the Avs best defensemen and arguably their best player overall.

You trade him, you're making a decision that Byram/Girard are your LHDs for the future and I'm sorry but Samuel Girard is not a playoff hockey player. He just isn't. He gets abused time and time again, he's slow as a skater even if he's shifty and he can't break a cycle or clear the front of the net.

Bo Byram showed in the playoffs he has largely the same issues as Girard, just not to that extreme extent. So you're going with two guys who are relatively similar? Hoping Makar/Manson can be the physical types?

As crazy as it might be, the Avs have to think long and hard about extending Toews and moving Girard.

Also, Bo Byram IMO either signs a SUPER team friendly long term contract or signs a bridge at no more than 4M per, even then I wouldn't go as high as 4M. He REALLY struggled in the playoffs and had big time ups and downs this season.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
The attractive part of Girard to other teams is that he could be the type they *don't* have -- mobile, good skater, experienced, still young -- and with a lot of term left that can be absorbed even if its a little high. The Avs *might* be able to find a team willing to do a player-for-player trade on him but it'll mean similar salary coming back. Or maybe they can pull off something like they did with Saad. They trade out Girard who has years left for a solid Top 6 or even middle 6 guy but who is pending UFA. It's a short term hockey trade but gives them more cap flexibility next summer.

In a perfect world? Girard and TBD to Arizona for Schmaltz.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The attractive part of Girard to other teams is that he could be the type they *don't* have -- mobile, good skater, experienced, still young -- and with a lot of term left that can be absorbed even if its a little high. The Avs *might* be able to find a team willing to do a player-for-player trade on him but it'll mean similar salary coming back. Or maybe they can pull off something like they did with Saad. They trade out Girard who has years left for a solid Top 6 or even middle 6 guy but who is pending UFA. It's a short term hockey trade but gives them more cap flexibility next summer.

In a perfect world? Girard and TBD to Arizona for Schmaltz.
Nick Schmaltz isn't a centre. You trade Girard you'd better be targeting a centre and only a centre.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

He was mediocre in the regular season - as most Avs were - but in the playoffs he was the Avs best defensemen and arguably their best player overall.

You trade him, you're making a decision that Byram/Girard are your LHDs for the future and I'm sorry but Samuel Girard is not a playoff hockey player. He just isn't. He gets abused time and time again, he's slow as a skater even if he's shifty and he can't break a cycle or clear the front of the net.

Bo Byram showed in the playoffs he has largely the same issues as Girard, just not to that extreme extent. So you're going with two guys who are relatively similar? Hoping Makar/Manson can be the physical types?

As crazy as it might be, the Avs have to think long and hard about extending Toews and moving Girard.

Also, Bo Byram IMO either signs a SUPER team friendly long term contract or signs a bridge at no more than 4M per, even then I wouldn't go as high as 4M. He REALLY struggled in the playoffs and had big time ups and downs this season.
No matter how you look at it one of Byram, Girard or Toews has to go for us to ice a competitive forward group. I’d be open to moving Byram if a centre of similar age is coming back.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No matter how you look at it one of Byram, Girard or Toews has to go for us to ice a competitive forward group. I’d be open to moving Byram if a centre of similar age is coming back.
As would I but I'd rather explore moving Girard first.

I think Byram still has a level to his game that can be reached that he hasn't hit yet.

If some team out there wants to trade us a 21/22 year old surefire top six centre for Bo Byram, by all means make the deal. I don't think that deal is out there, though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I have a real hard time disagreeing with this. Toews was great in the playoffs, and moving him will make this team a lot worse on the backend.

What to do with G is going to be really tough. Every NHL GM sees what is happening with him each and every playoffs. His value can't be all that high compared to what the Avs need. But you also need to get a guy like Manson in his prime (not today's Manson) to cover for him. Rock and a hard place there.

The Byram situation will likely dictate the whole summer. We all know the kid has talent and tons of self confidence... where does that mesh with what the Avs can spend and what he has actually shown on the ice? The Avs just don't have a ton of cap to take large risks on.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
As would I but I'd rather explore moving Girard first.

I think Byram still has a level to his game that can be reached that he hasn't hit yet.

If some team out there wants to trade us a 21/22 year old surefire top six centre for Bo Byram, by all means make the deal. I don't think that deal is out there, though.
I mean obviously we would all rather trade Girard over Byram but Byram would bring a much better return than Girard.

On a side note we should target JVR in UFA if Landeskog is not healthy to start the year. We really missed a net front guy to score garbage goals in the playoffs, Grubauer was kicking out rebounds all series and no one capitalized on those. I can’t even remember one “garbage goals” we scored all series.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean obviously we would all rather trade Girard over Byram but Byram would bring a much better return than Girard.

On a side note we should target JVR in UFA if Landeskog is not healthy to start the year. We really missed a net front guy to score garbage goals in the playoffs, Grubauer was kicking out rebounds all series and no one capitalized on those. I can’t even remember one “garbage goals” we scored all series.
The Avs need a couple of net front guys to play on the team next season.

If he's willing to sign here on the cheap I'd target Zach Parise, too.

Reactions: Murzu and GeoRox89

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
This team will also be looking for bargains and there are some guys who will either be looking to win a Cup and take a big pay cut for their shot (JVR) or a league minimum for their last shot (Drouin). I expect some 1 year or 2 year deals to emerge. On those two examples, I'd give JVR a 2 year if the price is right and Drouin a 1 year at league minimum solely so people like myself can shut up about the reunion tour of him and Mack. :D

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs need a couple of net front guys to play on the team next season.

If he's willing to sign here on the cheap I'd target Zach Parise, too.
Just to add onto this, Parise played for 750K this year.

Either the guy is chasing a Cup or he wants to live in Eastern USA and only Eastern USA.

Scored 21 goals this past season, I think he could absolutely play 3LW for us if he comes in at sub-1M.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Not that I disagree but if you extend Toews then you have roughly 5mil tied up on 6 players with Mikko expiring soon. If you were to re sign Mikko we’re looking at ~55mil on Mikko(~12.5), Mack(12.6), Landy(7), Nuke(6.125) Toews(~7), Makar(9). And then you’re most likely signing Byram(~7) long term around the same time as Mikko. So potentially ~60mil on 7 guys. I guess depending on Landys situation could be a little less.

It comes down to do you think you can get a return for Girard that 1) improves the team at C 2) you can do it so that our cap situation doesn’t get f***ed more than it already is. I’m not really sure what the right play is. But I think if you trade Girard now there’s a very real chance we could lose Toews next year and then you’re down 2/3 of your LD.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So assuming that we actually do let the depth walk, who do you guys like as realistic options. For the bargain bin and why not 2C, too. And how much do you think we'll pay for Drouin when he signs?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just to add onto this, Parise played for 750K this year.

Either the guy is chasing a Cup or he wants to live in Eastern USA and only Eastern USA.

Scored 21 goals this past season, I think he could absolutely play 3LW for us if he comes in at sub-1M.

Let’s stop signing 35+ year olds. In this case, a 38 year old. IMO, that’s not the way.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I was pleasantly surprised by Eller in the playoffs, but I don't want him back unless he's on a cheap deal. Just getting up there in age. Compher I'd like to have back but not at what his open market value will likely be. Guy stepped up big time this year despite everyone making him into the whipping boy. Not his fault he just isn't that good. Would make an excellent 3rd liner again, just unlikely it would happen.
I dont know what the right answer is but I am pretty sure this isnt it.

JTC is getting $4.5-$5.5M from someone.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
May as well start fresh now that our season is over.

Notable Pending UFAs:

Compher
Rodrigues
Helm
Cogliano
Eller
Nieto
Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Galchenyuk
Hudon

Avs Notable RFAs:

Byram
Newhook
Meyers
Malgin
Ranta
Maltsev
Merkley
Clurman
Annunen
Wow. What a list of no shows and useless appendages......

Gotta work a Byram deal ASAP. Not in favor of keeping many of the rest.

Avs still need a 2C. NO ONE on this list fills that need. NO ONE!

Cogs is the 3rd best forechecker on the team. Age is a problem. So is his latest injury. But if the outcome is favorable. I'd give him another year. Same goes for Eller. The bottom 6 really needs a total restructuring.

God help us if they resign Compher. But they probably will.

I'd let Erod walk. He never jelled with anyone or a line. And always manages to ef up the play when it's crucial...... Hasn't changed since he played in Buffalo..

Last edited:
Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Girard is a trade-able asset along the lines that Barrie was.

His shot is not NHL quality. My son played net against him last summer or the previous one in a regular summer drop in that Girard attends at DU. (Very good minor pro and former major JR players.) Maybe Sam was holding back, but my son didn't think so.

Keep Toews.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Pretty sad to see how far our vaunted D corps has fallen. 9.5 million wasted on two players that are basically useless in the playoffs. At the very least, thank the f***ing lord EJ’s albatross is gone.

You know it’s bad when the Leafs/Oilers, of all teams, have significantly more impactful 6 man units.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
MacFarland is basically doing the same job he has done for years other than being the one whose actually calling GMs now.
Maybe they even put GMs on speaker phone...

From some of the articles about the Duchene trade it sounded like MacFarland did some of the leg work even back then.

Reactions: niwotsblessing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad