Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Until Tatar signs I agree it's not something to be overly concerned with... Just worth discussing at the moment more than anything.

If Tatar signs and not with us however, then we're in prettt ugly shape quite frankly.

Josh Bailey actually would be another solid bet for the Avs to make. So two guys left available.

Meh. Both guys offer nothing. Especially in 3rd line roles for us.

Patty Kane is still sitting there. He would fill a top 6 role and be a beast next to Mackinnon. But the kicker is Girard would have to go. Signing Kane would push someone down the lineup too and we wouldn't have to rely on Drouin to be an above average scorer.

Would we be better off with Kane as a RW1 or Girard as our 5th Dman? Injuries to Manson and Byram are always a concern and Girard has proven to be able to play 20+ minutes a night and be productive on our backend. His puck moving is elite but he doesn't offer anything else.

I say trade:

Girard to Montreal for

RW- Joel Armia with 1.5m retained
D- Jordan Harris
C- Riley Kidney
stud dman prospect Lane Hudson.

With the 5.5 mil left sign Kane for 4m (pushing Olofsson and Meyers off the roster) and roll 4 lines with confidence.

Drouin- Mackinnon- Kane
Nichushkin- Johansen- Rantanen
Lehkonen- Colton- Armia
Wood- Cogliano- O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Johnson - Harris

• Haha
Reactions: Balthazar

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Until Tatar signs I agree it's not something to be overly concerned with... Just worth discussing at the moment more than anything.

If Tatar signs and not with us however, then we're in prettt ugly shape quite frankly.

Josh Bailey actually would be another solid bet for the Avs to make. So two guys left available.
Josh Bailey? Woof.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
“Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?” is a fine motto until something unexpected comes up.

For example an injury happening to one of our top 8 forwards forcing us to ice two 4th liners in our top 9.

I’ll give it some time, I just hope nothing bad happens before it’s too late. Go Avs Go baby.

Just want to preface this by saying I think you've been fair and reasonable in this discussion, but I wanted to point out Injuries are actually another reason to leave some cap space, instead of using all of it in the off season.

They'll need that cap cushion for injury callups. They spent over $3M towards the cap on depth callups last year. Post #5233

Also, if they're in a situation where they need to trade for someone to replace a top six guy that's injured but not on LTIR, they'll be able to trade for a better player with more money available.

Same with any deadline deals. They'll have more money to work with at the deadline if they don't spend 100% of their LTIR cap space in the off season.

It can be very hard to make deals when you handcuff yourself with the cap. You have to make dollar for dollar swaps for players on your roster, you can't just trade picks or prospects to add to what you already have for more depth.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Motte, Gregor, ZAR and Kiviranta are the only ones left that I could see the Avs targeting. At least one of those guys are getting a PTO come September if still available.They'll probably toss Dzingel a PTO as well

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Motte, Gregor, ZAR and Kiviranta are the only ones left that I could see the Avs targeting. At least one of those guys are getting a PTO come September if still available.They'll probably toss Dzingel a PTO as well
Would love for the Avs to bring in Tyler Motte. He is a mini Matt Calvert, all the way down to his injury issues.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Even then it's a pretty awful direction to go in. Best case scenario realistically is you find a #13 forward or #7D upgrade, they've never done any better and with where we are likely to be in the standings any sort of Tolvanen type will get claimed long before us. That's not going to move the needle for us this year tbh, just like it hasn't any year before.

They need to get a legit solution for the Top 9 and pay the assets to do so. Or else we'll end up repeating the same mistakes of last year.

I get that, it’s not going to likely solve the need for a top quality top 6 or top 9 forward, but it can help the need for a bit more depth until closer to the deadline (assuming they don’t end up grabbing Tatar or something before the season starts).

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Meh. Both guys offer nothing. Especially in 3rd line roles for us.

Patty Kane is still sitting there. He would fill a top 6 role and be a beast next to Mackinnon. But the kicker is Girard would have to go. Signing Kane would push someone down the lineup too and we wouldn't have to rely on Drouin to be an above average scorer.

Would we be better off with Kane as a RW1 or Girard as our 5th Dman? Injuries to Manson and Byram are always a concern and Girard has proven to be able to play 20+ minutes a night and be productive on our backend. His puck moving is elite but he doesn't offer anything else.

I say trade:

Girard to Montreal for

RW- Joel Armia with 1.5m retained
D- Jordan Harris
C- Riley Kidney
stud dman prospect Lane Hudson.

That's a whole lotta china, man!

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
His last 4 years have been better than Johansens.

He was bad last year but a regular 45-50 guy every year before that.

A worthy gamble on a 1x$1M sort of deal.

Bailey waits for more than a lousy million, I reckon. Likely two. Not fun being bought out and lose money.

Wonder if we can get a HEAVY player to go with Cogliano and O'Connor, both 80 kilogramish. For example one or both from The Ritchie Family. 100 kilo a piece. Or Adam Erne!

Maxime Comtois advanced beautifully around a defender in a WC game lately on his left side. If we have depth we will CRUISE towards the playoffs. Everything in harmony in Coloradoland. BEAUTIFUL mountains. Mac's K, F and D. Joe freakin' Sakic walking thru the corridors.

Four EQUAL lines going 90% (injuryfree):

Drouin - MacKinnon - O'Connor
Lehkonen - Meyers - Rantanen
Cogliano - Colton - Nichushkin
Wood - Johansen - Kovalenko
------------------------------
Olofsson - Wagner - Polin
Landeskog - Foudy - Olausson

Toews - Hunt
Byram - MacDermid
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Makar
-------------------
Behrens - Malinski
Middleton

GFA

• Haha
Reactions: Foppa2118

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Bailey waits for more than a lousy million, I reckon. Likely two. Not fun being bought out and lose money.

Wonder if we can get a HEAVY player to go with Cogliano and O'Connor, both 80 kilogramish. For example one or both from The Ritchie Family. 100 kilo a piece. Or Adam Erne!

Maxime Comtois advanced beautifully around a defender in a WC game lately on his left side. If we have depth we will CRUISE towards the playoffs. Everything in harmony in Coloradoland. BEAUTIFUL mountains. Mac's K, F and D. Joe freakin' Sakic walking thru the corridors.

Toews - Hunt
Byram - MacDermid
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Makar
-------------------
Behrens - Malinski
Middleton

GFA
78ee0e8a23d9b390d179b7fca619734ded711a2d.gifv

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
August sucks. Wish our GM would throw us a bone and send Zegras an offer sheet just to make Verbeek mad. I always liked seeing him get agitated.

They just threw you a Erik Karlsson trade! Verbeek agitated? That's december... Our bone is Jason Polin and Nikolai Kovalenko. Laws of probability says a prospect will take a step forward soon.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Wasn't it rumored the Avalanche had a few PTO offers out to players but they were still looking for contracts?

At this point I think we'll see the Avalanche stand pat other than a minor signing or PTO's. I think they'll see how the team looks 10-15 games into the season and shuffle from there. I think they'll want to see how the young guys look to see what holes need to be filled.

Reactions: RECKLESS

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm actually happy with the roster if we pencil in Kovalenko on the 3rd line.

Lehkonen-MacKinnon-Drouin
Nuke-Ryjo-Rantane
Wood-Colton-Kovalenko
Cogliano-Meyers-LOC

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm actually happy with the roster if we pencil in Kovalenko on the 3rd line.

Lehkonen-MacKinnon-Drouin
Nuke-Ryjo-Rantane
Wood-Colton-Kovalenko
Cogliano-Meyers-LOC
Even if we were to count Kovalenko the actual lineups will never look like that because of injuries.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Toews - Hunt
Byram - MacDermid
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Makar
-------------------
Behrens - Malinski
Middleton

GFA

Can't wait till we get that 6th line grinder back.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Am I alone in thinking Kovalenko will come over at the end of the season, play 3 games and get scratched? I have a feeling next season will be the one where he makes an impact.

Bednar’s system isn’t easy to learn quickly as we’ve seen with other in-season additions. We know Bednar isn’t shy of sitting players.

I hope I’m dead wrong and Kovalenko makes an immediate impact but it’s nowhere near a lock that he adapts to the NHL speed while also adapting to the fast paced system the Avs play quick enough for Bedsy’s liking.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Am I alone in thinking Kovalenko will come over at the end of the season, play 3 games and get scratched? I have a feeling next season will be the one where he makes an impact.

Bednar’s system isn’t easy to learn quickly as we’ve seen with other in season additions. We know Bednar isn’t shy of sitting players.

I hope I’m dead wrong and Kovalenko makes an immediate impact but it’s nowhere near a lock that he adapts to the NHL speed while also adapting to the fast paced system the Avs play quick enough for Bedsy’s liking.
I mentioned it a while ago, I'm getting major Sampo Ranta flashbacks about Kovalenko. The hype for Ranta coming out of his last season in college was very similar and he sure got scratched real quick. Pencilling in Kovalenko at all, let alone on the 3rd line is major wishful thinking, imo.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois

Bednar’s system isn’t easy to learn quickly as we’ve seen with other in-season additions. We know Bednar isn’t shy of sitting players.

I posted two projection graphs in his lone thread a little while ago. One projections to be an every day NHLer and even like a 65+% chance at being a star. The other was like meh. Just another dude. So I honestly have no clue what to think. I’ve seen some of his highlights. He plays bigger than what his size indicates. And he obviously has some scoring touch. So I’m thinking in a full season, he’ll fall in the middle of the two projections. A solid third liner who plays with grit and can get you 30-35 points a year.

Reactions: NateTheGreat

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

One thing that I think will help Kovalenko is that he's talked about how Larionov has them skate their absolutely ass off in practice every day to get in great shape.

This is something I think a lot of new Avlanche players underestimate. The shape you have to be in to skate as much as Bednar wants them to. There's been a few players that seem to have better second years than first years on the Avs, and I think it's mostly because of this.

Kovalenko credits a lot of his recent success to the shape Larionov has him and the rest of the team in. He's said he can barely walk in training camp, but that he felt great physically all season because of that hard work.

That should help have the gas tank to play Bednar's system and also keep him from being too worn out playing in the NHL after his KHL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad