Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
What is the last impactful waiver pickup the Avs have made? Even if you’ve had one or two in the past, it’s far from a guarantee that you hit on another one. I’d hate for that to be looked upon as a strategy by the front office.

Even one of the deepest, most dominant teams to win the Cup in the salary cap era needed a waiver pick up in Aubé-Kubel to fill out their roster.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So you took the one of the best defensive centres of all time, and compared him to 2-3 of the worst defensive centres in the league, as some sort of gotcha for centres not having more defensive responsibility?

You got me. That sample size is irrefutable.
Yet MacKinnon is a consensus top-3 center of the game, despite not performing two of the bigger duties deemed for centers.

Maybe their importance can get exaggerated at times but you still build your team on great centers and dman. Wingers are still important but 3rd on the list IMO.
Because they are easier to find as there are more of them, and even though I don't think centers really matter all that much, they are usually putting in some extra work so they are rated higher.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I highly doubt we trade Girard at this point in the summer, maybe at the trade deadline depending on just how much surgery the roster needs to be competitive in the playoffs...

If we trade Girard, I think the idea I most like at the moment would be to send him to Columbus for Peeke + Kuraly.

Kuraly would be a legit 3rd liner to bump LOC to the 4th line, and he could be the 3C moving Colton to the Wing where IMO he's likely going to be more useful for us anyway. Peeke would be a solid #3RD and can move up into Manson's spot if/when he plays like shit and gets hurt again.

Drouin - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - RyJo - Mikko
Colton - Kuraly - Wood
Cogs - Meyers - LOC
Olofsson

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Johnson - Peeke
MacDermid - Malinski

I wonder what we would have to add to get Roslovic instead of Kuraly. I don't think Kuraly moves the needle enough for us to trade Girard.

Maybe Roslovic and Peeke for Girard and a 2nd?

Play Colton with Mack too. He can be Landeskog lite.

Colton- Mackinnon- Nichushkin
Lehkonen- Johansen- Rantanen
Drouin- Roslovic- Cogliano
Wood- Meyers- O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Johnson - Peeke

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder what we would have to add to get Roslovic instead of Kuraly. I don't think Kuraly moves the needle enough for us to trade Girard.

Maybe Roslovic and Peeke for Girard and a 2nd?

Play Colton with Mack too. He can be Landeskog lite.

Colton- Mackinnon- Nichushkin
Lehkonen- Johansen- Rantanen
Drouin- Roslovic- Cogliano
Wood- Meyers- O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Johnson - Peeke

I'd rather have Kuraly over Roslovic. Roslovic might produce more points but he's a pretty poor two way player, makes more money, and is a UFA in a year. Kind of a lesser version of RyJo tbh and with the same lazy disinterested tendencies as RyJo as well.

The great thing about Kuraly is you're getting an affordable 3rd liner for 2 playoff runs instead of just 1.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
....He does do them, wtf are you talking about.

Watch a game please.
He does, but not that great. Which is why Landy and Mikko take draws from time to time, and why Nuke/Landy/Lehky does most of the defensive work.

This isn't really going anywhere. We should be upgraded on the #2C/top-6 so that's good.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Even one of the deepest, most dominant teams to win the Cup in the salary cap era needed a waiver pick up in Aubé-Kubel to fill out their roster.
NAK played 14 playoff games without registering a point. Hardly an impactful pickup.

The roster we have this year is much weaker so I’m not sure what your point is. A roster needing someone to play ~5 mins a game with zero offensive production can use the waiver wire. A roster needing a 3rd line player with some offensive output should not be counting on the waiver wire.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He does, but not that great. Which is why Landy and Mikko take draws from time to time, and why Nuke/Landy/Lehky does most of the defensive work.
They take draws because Mack gets kicked out, or because its on his weak side for a faceoff.

The 2nd part simply isn't true. Mack is the one doing the defensive work, he is the one down low in the defensive zone all the time, and offensively they play a triangle system so all 3 rotate based on where the puck is.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Whether the Avs use the waiver wire and whether it’s a good strategy are two separate arguments.

It makes zero sense to keep valuable cap space in a contending year for something that may not even come to fruition.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
IMG_3252.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
All this worrying about Avs not doing enough and stuff, what if Landy actually able to come back for the playoffs? Because he hasn’t been 100% ruled out for the playoffs.

Landy-MacK-Nuke
Lehky-RyJo-Mikko
Drouin-Colton-Kovalenko
Wood-Cogs-LOC

That’s a damn good lineup if you ask me

Reactions: Avsboy

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
All this worrying about Avs not doing enough and stuff, what if Landy actually able to come back for the playoffs? Because he hasn’t been 100% ruled out for the playoffs.

Landy-MacK-Nuke
Lehky-RyJo-Mikko
Drouin-Colton-Kovalenko
Wood-Cogs-LOC

That’s a damn good lineup if you ask me

It might be possible but they absolutely should not be assuming he can come back. Especially since his cap hit doesn't matter at all, they should be planning as though he's done for the playoffs as well.

Plus it's not like after missing 2 full years, Landy will be able to just come back without missing a beat as a Top line winger again. At best he's probably a 3rd liner for us in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Moops

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It might be possible but they absolutely should not be assuming he can come back. Especially since his cap hit doesn't matter at all, they should be planning as though he's done for the playoffs as well.

Plus it's not like after missing 2 full years, Landy will be able to just come back without missing a beat as a Top line winger again. At best he's probably a 3rd liner for us in the playoffs.
I mean whatever more Avs do or don’t do, all I’m saying is if Landy comes back in the playoffs, the Avs will be much deeper even with him being rusty. He’ll shake off the rust in the 1st round maybe playing 3rd line, then in the 2nd round he’ll be good to go on top 6.

This is of course wishful thinking on my part. I’m actually one that thinks Landy may never play again but I’m still keeping some hope he can

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I mean whatever more Avs do or don’t do, all I’m saying is if Landy comes back in the playoffs, the Avs will be much deeper even with him being rusty. He’ll shake off the rust in the 1st round maybe playing 3rd line, then in the 2nd round he’ll be good to go on top 6.

This is of course wishful thinking on my part. I’m actually one that thinks Landy may never play again but I’m still keeping some hope he can
I think you're greatly underestimating the significant impact of missing 2 full years, and the serious nature of his injury.

Besides the fact it's possible he never plays again, even if he does come back it's pretty unlikely he ever gets back to the level he was before.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think you're greatly underestimating the significant impact of missing 2 full years, and the serious nature of his injury.

Besides the fact it's possible he never plays again, even if he does come back it's pretty unlikely he ever gets back to the level he was before.
That’s why I said it’s wishful thinking. I’m just going by anything is possible, never say never etc…..

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

IF Landy comes back next season at some point then we will be contenders for sure and I am not a @Sea Eagles

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
And they play lower in the defensive zone to help win board battles to regain puck possession, and then are the ones that typically move the puck out of the zone.

And they're usually the dominant puck carrier on a line.

But hey he found 1 or 2 examples of where that isn't 100% the case so thus Centers are overrated!!
Luckily the Avs added a new top line W who can totally do the first half of those things like Landy sometimes did.

If you squint can you even tell the difference between Drouin and Landeskog?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holy shit.:laugh: These things actually say he's worth 7.1 million a year. I just can't take these things seriously.

How many of these ridiculously off base evaluations on these player cards does it take for people to realize they shouldn't be used as object proof of how good/bad a player is?

$7.1M for Compher is bat shit crazy.

I can't imagine a single Avalanche fan that has watched him play would support that kind of contract. $5.1M already feels like a bit too much, though it won't be as bad when the cap rises.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
NAK played 14 playoff games without registering a point. Hardly an impactful pickup.

The roster we have this year is much weaker so I’m not sure what your point is. A roster needing someone to play ~5 mins a game with zero offensive production can use the waiver wire. A roster needing a 3rd line player with some offensive output should not be counting on the waiver wire.

Malgin produced at a typical third line pace last season and was effectively a waiver wire pickup (traded for Dryden Hunt).

My point is that fringe NHLers that can fill a role (NAK's physical game and low event hockey, Malgin's complementary scoring) can be found during the season, and it's not the end of the world that we aren't locking ourselves into this or that fringe NHLer when we aren't sure how the new acquisitions will settle.

Reactions: niwotsblessing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad