2023-2024 standings prediction:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I think many people have underestimated the Peterborough Petes this season. They are 2-0-0-0 on the season after a 5-2 win against the 67s in Ottawa. The Petes dominated most the of the game. It is early in the season but I think the Petes will be very competitive this year. I would have to think they will crack the OHL top 16 list on Monday.
At least you guys cracked the top 16, Flint is still the better team though after losing two blowouts though..
Oct2PowerRankingsWeb.jpg

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
I know we are only a few games in plus pre season, but based on your few viewings, which players on your team look like they have taken a big step forward this year with regards to development? Or you've been most impressed with

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I know we are only a few games in plus pre season, but based on your few viewings, which players on your team look like they have taken a big step forward this year with regards to development? Or you've been most impressed with
Beckett Sennecke, Dylan Roobroeck, Ben Danford for Oshawa

Reactions: ColtsNLeafs

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
For the Sting. Doucette has had a terrific start after being a 12th F last yr. Andrew LeBlanc has looked really solid all camp + opening weekend. Biggest is Nick Surzycia in net. He looks to have taken a giant step.

For opposing teams we faced, Greentree on WSR looked unreal. I thought Zhugin for SAG looked better than I remembered he did on GUE.

Reactions: ColtsNLeafs

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Beckett Sennecke, Dylan Roobroeck, Ben Danford for Oshawa
In Peterborough Jax Dubois is off to a strong start with 2 goals and 5 assists for 7 points n two games. Jonathan Melee, Sam McCue and Brayden McCallum are all contributing on offence. Sam Mayer and Donovan McCoy are looking good on defence as is 1st round draft pick, Carson Cameron who is playing like a veteran. In goal the tandem of Liam Sztuska and Zach Bowen give the Petes excellent goaltending.

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Has anyone had a look at the current standings....? It's ridiculous my opinion) how the do the seedings for the conferences with top teams from each division. Look at the east vs. west divisions in the eastern conference right now.....I know it wont be this bad at the end of the year but it's actually hilarious as it currently stands

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Has anyone had a look at the current standings....? It's ridiculous my opinion) how the do the seedings for the conferences with top teams from each division. Look at the east vs. west divisions in the eastern conference right now.....I know it wont be this bad at the end of the year but it's actually hilarious as it currently stands
Wouldn’t worry about standing until all teams settle in more. By game 15-20 we’ll have a better idea where teams are possibly headed.

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
It's intersting to revisit this thread now 20 games or so into the season. Some predictions were closer than others but the one nobody predicted was Kitchener. What a story they have been.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Almost feels fake. Like it was a no brainer to slot them in at the bottom. To predict the Rangers to be first and have 5+ goals per game average after 20 games is completely idiotic.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It's intersting to revisit this thread now 20 games or so into the season. Some predictions were closer than others but the one nobody predicted was Kitchener. What a story they have been.
The Peterborough Petes are a surprise to many. Most of preseason predictions had the Petes missing the playoffs. I always felt that was misguided. I expected them to be a middle of the pack team to a 7th or 8th place finish. They have exceeded expectations. Mississauga has also been a surprise. In my opinion there was always a question mark with both Sudbury and Kingston. On paper they looked to be the top two teams in the Eastern Conference but questions remained about them whether the expectations would translate to success. North Bay is better than I thought they were going to be. Barrie is weaker than I thought. Ottawa, Brantford, Oshawa and Niagara are in the range I thought they would be. In the Western Conference. Kitchener is the biggest surprise as is Sarnia and Sault Ste Marie. To me London was overrated. Owen Sound, Saginaw and Windsor are disappointments. Guelph, Erie and Flint are in the range I expected.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Peterborough Petes are a surprise to many. Most of preseason predictions had the Petes missing the playoffs. I always felt that was misguided. I expected them to be a middler of the pack to a 7th or 8th place finish.
To be fair, the difference between 7th/8th and missing the playoffs is not large.

Reactions: dirty12

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Peterborough Petes are a surprise to many. Most of preseason predictions had the Petes missing the playoffs. I always felt that was misguided. I expected them to be a middle of the pack team to a 7th or 8th place finish. They have exceeded expectations. Mississauga has also been a surprise. In my opinion there was always a question mark with both Sudbury and Kingston. On paper they looked to be the top two teams in the Eastern Conference but questions remained about them whether the expectations would translate to success. North Bay is better than I thought they were going to be. Barrie is weaker than I thought. Ottawa, Brantford, Oshawa and Niagara are in the range I thought they would be. In the Western Conference. Kitchener is the biggest surprise as is Sarnia and Sault Ste Marie. To me London was overrated. Owen Sound, Saginaw and Windsor are disappointments. Guelph, Erie and Flint are in the range I expected.
They still play like a team that knows what it takes to win in this league. Missing a number of key contributors from last year, they still bring it to their competition every night. A sign of a very well coached hockey team.

Reactions: Zebra and Smithsy

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It is interesting to revisit the predictions from the start of the season. As we approach I thought I would do an update on my predictions based on team’s records so far and what teams will be after the trade deadline (the official one is the one I did at the start of the season).

Eastern Conference:

1. Mississauga
2. Kingston
3. North Bay
4. Sudbury
5. Ottawa
6. Peterborough
7. Brantford
8. Oshawa
9. Barrie
10. Niagara

Mississauga is and will remain the class of the conference. Kingston will likely finish 1st in the East Division after Peterborough goes into a small rebuild. The Petes will battle with Brantford and Oshawa for 6th and 7th.

Western Conference:

1. Kitchener
2. Saginaw
3. Sault Ste Marie
4. London
5. Guelph
6. Erie
7. Owen Sound
8. Flint
9. Sarnia
10. Windsor

Kitchener is the best team in the Western Conference. Saginaw has rebounded after a slow start. London will not make the required moves to be a true contender.

Reactions: StingUpdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is interesting to revisit the predictions from the start of the season. As we approach I thought I would do an update on my predictions based on team’s records so far and what teams will be after the trade deadline (the official one is the one I did at the start of the season).

Eastern Conference:

1. Mississauga
2. Kingston
3. North Bay
4. Sudbury
5. Ottawa
6. Peterborough
7. Brantford
8. Oshawa
9. Barrie
10. Niagara

Mississauga is and will remain the class of the conference. Kingston will likely finish 1st in the East Division after Peterborough goes into a small rebuild. The Petes will battle with Brantford and Oshawa for 6th and 7th.

Western Conference:

1. Kitchener
2. Saginaw
3. Sault Ste Marie
4. London
5. Guelph
6. Erie
7. Owen Sound
8. Flint
9. Sarnia
10. Windsor

Kitchener is the best team in the Western Conference. Saginaw has rebounded after a slow start. London will not make the required moves to be a true contender.

For real?
Ottawa is playing 0.614, Kingston 0.478, and Brantford is hot going 7-2-1.
Mississauga has been ~0.500 for 10 to 15 games since a surprising start. The goalies are 16 & 17, of the top 9 I think 8 are 17-18 yrs old

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For real?
Ottawa is playing 0.614, Kingston 0.478, and Brantford is hot going 7-2-1.
Mississauga has been ~0.500 for 10 to 15 games since a surprising start. The goalies are 16 & 17, of the top 9 I think 8 are 17-18 yrs old

I’m not touching any predictions at this point of the season with a ten foot pole! Everything is upside-down. Sudbury should be buying but have underachieved. Same with Kingston. Teams that should be selling (Petes and Ottawa) may be buyers based on their standings. Brantford is excelling quicker than expected. Missy is big and strong and when they are on their game, they are a handful. When they are off their game and showing their youth, they are a shadow of what they are when they are engaged.

Who knows how the deadline will affect these teams because we don’t have a clue what the teams will do…. I expect Sudbury to buy and Kingston to maybe buy. I expect everyone else to be some form of status quo or sell. I could see a couple teams sell 19 or 20 year olds but then buy a 19 year old that projects as a returning OA. Some deals like that. Or maybe like last year with Niagara where they flip some of their newly gained assets for an 18 year old like Lavoie If a player like that becomes available. I don’t see the Eastern Conference engaging in much Buyer activity for a Championship push. But, who knows? It is so screwy this year, anything could happen and likely will!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m not touching any predictions at this point of the season with a ten foot pole! Everything is upside-down. Sudbury should be buying but have underachieved. Same with Kingston. Teams that should be selling (Petes and Ottawa) may be buyers based on their standings. Brantford is excelling quicker than expected. Missy is big and strong and when they are on their game, they are a handful. When they are off their game and showing their youth, they are a shadow of what they are when they are engaged.

Who knows how the deadline will affect these teams because we don’t have a clue what the teams will do…. I expect Sudbury to buy and Kingston to maybe buy. I expect everyone else to be some form of status quo or sell. I could see a couple teams sell 19 or 20 year olds but then buy a 19 year old that projects as a returning OA. Some deals like that. Or maybe like last year with Niagara where they flip some of their newly gained assets for an 18 year old like Lavoie If a player like that becomes available. I don’t see the Eastern Conference engaging in much Buyer activity for a Championship push. But, who knows? It is so screwy this year, anything could happen and likely will!

It’s possible teams could be scared off if Miss joins Sudbury in being all-in; otherwise, I have no doubt 2-3 teams will see a window and dive through head first.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s possible teams could be scared off if Miss joins Sudbury in being all-in; otherwise, I have no doubt 2-3 teams will see a window and dive through head first.

I’d be surprised like you would be if Missy was undisciplined and made a push this year.

I see Sudbury and maybe Kingston. I don’t see another Eastern Team in a position to truly dive in this year. Maybe some nibbling on the fringes or tweaking OAs.

In the West, we have Saginaw for sure. Kitchener seems to be in a situation where they have to do it as well but they can only do so much without offering up one of Reid or Romano. They have some decent picks but not enough to make more than a significant dent. SSM and Guelph could be the other two? …maybe?

It could end up being like last year if all six of those teams make a bug push. My gutt is telling me they aren’t going to be as heavy as last year. Saginaw is the host team so it is more likely the Eastern Conference tries to backdoor the Cup entry. Teams fromt he West have to front door it by winning the league.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I’d be surprised like you would be if Missy was undisciplined and made a push this year.

I see Sudbury and maybe Kingston. I don’t see another Eastern Team in a position to truly dive in this year. Maybe some nibbling on the fringes or tweaking OAs.

In the West, we have Saginaw for sure. Kitchener seems to be in a situation where they have to do it as well but they can only do so much without offering up one of Reid or Romano. They have some decent picks but not enough to make more than a significant dent. SSM and Guelph could be the other two? …maybe?

It could end up being like last year if all six of those teams make a bug push. My gutt is telling me they aren’t going to be as heavy as last year. Saginaw is the host team so it is more likely the Eastern Conference tries to backdoor the Cup entry. Teams fromt he West have to front door it by winning the league.
With the dearth of potential clear cut sellers, I wonder if the buying price comes to a point that it tempts a surprise mid pack team to turn seller to capitalize on market prices? It's such a strange year with so many teams in this mushy middle territory and some top teams not really having the ability to buy and supplement their rosters. Teams who were expected to be good have struggled or underperformed. It will be fascinating to see how many teams are willing to really go for it this year.

I feel like a lot of teams are in wait and see mode still trying to determine what they are or what direction they are headed in. I'm expecting we will see most of the deadline dealing post Christmas break this year. Too many teams still feel like they have a chance lol.

As an Attack fan, I feel they will take any decisions likely right up to the wire. The recent 5-0 road trip calmed the waters some but if they can't continue that momentum I wouldn't be shocked if they flipped to sell mode. They have a number of quality pieces that I'm sure would be of interest around the league.

Reactions: dirty12

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
You also have to remember that there is a chance that simply winning the (weak) Eastern Conference gets you a Mem Cup berth (if Saginaw wins the west).

It's by no means a lock, but it might be enough to tempt some Eastern teams that shouldn't be buying to take a run at it at the deadline.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With the dearth of potential clear cut sellers, I wonder if the buying price comes to a point that it tempts a surprise mid pack team to turn seller to capitalize on market prices? It's such a strange year with so many teams in this mushy middle territory and some top teams not really having the ability to buy and supplement their rosters. Teams who were expected to be good have struggled or underperformed. It will be fascinating to see how many teams are willing to really go for it this year.

I feel like a lot of teams are in wait and see mode still trying to determine what they are or what direction they are headed in. I'm expecting we will see most of the deadline dealing post Christmas break this year. Too many teams still feel like they have a chance lol.

As an Attack fan, I feel they will take any decisions likely right up to the wire. The recent 5-0 road trip calmed the waters some but if they can't continue that momentum I wouldn't be shocked if they flipped to sell mode. They have a number of quality pieces that I'm sure would be of interest around the league.

I believe you misspoke on that one. I believe you meant to say “temps a surprise mid pack team to turn seller (BUYER) to capitalize on market price.”

I think if the market is depressed and players could be had at a perceived discount, a couple teams will switch from seller to buyer For two reasons. First, that team isn’t getting what they want for their pieces for sale. Second, if the team can make a run at a discount, why not Make a run? I think Ottawa is a great example of a team that could go either way depending on how th market unfoalds.

All that said, if a seller turns buyer, they pull supply from it and create more demand. That in itself would raise the cost to buy. So, we need to be careful in that regard to making predictions.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I believe you misspoke on that one. I believe you meant to say “temps a surprise mid pack team to turn seller (BUYER) to capitalize on market price.”

I think if the market is depressed and players could be had at a perceived discount, a couple teams will switch from seller to buyer For two reasons. First, that team isn’t getting what they want for their pieces for sale. Second, if the team can make a run at a discount, why not Make a run? I think Ottawa is a great example of a team that could go either way depending on how th market unfoalds.

All that said, if a seller turns buyer, they pull supply from it and create more demand. That in itself would raise the cost to buy. So, we need to be careful in that regard to making predictions.
Switching from seller to buyer only makes sense if a team a) has the assets to recover the picks next year b) is not well positioned to contend next year. The last thing a team wants to do is get impatient and jump the gun putting themselves in a position where they compromise what they a can do next year. I agree Ottawa could sell the farm become buyers and go for it this year, knowing full well they will have Pinelli, Gardiner, Foster, Mayich and MacKenzie to recover assets with next year. They will also have two 1st rounders next year so the 2024 2nd and 3rds become a little easier to part with.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Switching from seller to buyer only makes sense if a team a) has the assets to recover the picks next year b) is not well positioned to contend next year. The last thing a team wants to do is get impatient and jump the gun putting themselves in a position where they compromise what they a can do next year. I agree Ottawa could sell the farm become buyers and go for it this year, knowing full well they will have Pinelli, Gardiner, Foster, Mayich and MacKenzie to recover assets with next year. They will also have two 1st rounders next year so the 2024 2nd and 3rds become a little easier to part with.

Agreed. But, NorthernVoice did make a reasonable comment in regards to the Petes. No matter what they do, it is unlikely they will be competitive next Year. The question for them is how long they want to extend next years struggles. What they do this year will help determine how long it will take for them to recover.

Ottawa isn’t good enough next year, IMO. I see three teams ahead of them (Eastern Conference) if everything remains status quo. If they choose to sell this year, it will likely assist them in 2025-2026.

Missy has to be the odds on favourite next year in the Eastern Conference. They are the team that needs to be disciplined and not do much this year and ride it out.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Just to clarify my opinion, with so many teams still in the mix it makes me think some teams may not be as willing to sell if they still feel they have a shot meaning there are fewer players potentially available meaning teams who want to buy have less options to acquire which would impact the supply and demand in the league. Limited supply potentially raising sell prices could temp a team to sell that we didn't necessarily expect was what I was getting at. It's just as likely that I've completely overthought or misread everything, though I don't think I'm alone on that one with the way the season has gone to date lol.

To your point, it could very well go the other way where more teams being in the mix means a surprise team, or two, chooses to buy. That scenario feels more likely to apply to the East than the West with the potential to back door a trip to the mem cup. Could be that the mushy middle teams are less committed to either buy or sell and get caught being half in or half out. Standing pat could very well be an option for a few teams that may not have otherwise been in a more typical season.

At the end of the day, it's a very peculiar year as we hit the 1/3rd mark of the season. It's a fascinating talking point trying to gauge what some teams may be looking to do or considering what some teams might even be able to do based on their position in the standings and assets available(or lack there of).

It's going to be awkward if there are very few buyers and sellers start calling Saginaw offering good players at a discount as they compete against other sellers to get Saginaw's trade assets. I would think if Peterborough makes a move that triggers the sell off it would spur some teams in the east to feel comfortable buying. It would seem certain teams decision to go for it or sell could be putting other teams into wait and see mode creating a bit of a stagnant market for the time being. I think things will kick off later than normal this year in terms of significant buying or selling moves.

Reactions: PuckStop75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad