Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Trenin is 27, so younger than Heinen & Lucic, and just a few years older than Steen. He’s also more established and capable of playing up if needed, he throws nearly 200 hits a year, and can drop the gloves when needed. He’s an ideal solution for our fourth line with Looch likely gone. Sherwood is a little like Clutterbuck, and only 28 as well. Both wouldn’t break the bank next year if we decided to negotiate for a longer stay. Both would make our fourth line very tough to play against.
I know all that. Why are we trying to get older and less flexible in the fourth line? Trenin is physical sure. Sherwood has been jn the league six years and hasn’t played 50 games since his rookie season. I don’t know how there’s any similarity to Clutterbuck whatsoever. And now we’re clogging the fourth with two 28+ year olds, one of which can’t even make Nashville’s lineup consistently? This hunt for physicality just to make us worse is bizarre to me.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I want a defenseman who will clear the front of the net. I want a d-man who will make opponents fear going into the corner. Teams have a field day against the Bruins because they know they won't be punished. The Bruins haven't had a guy like this since Kevan Miller.

I'd like a player or two who won't allow the team to constantly be the nail. I'd like to have a guy or two who go out there and set the tone and aren't afraid of mixing it up.

The top 9 forward group has next to no physicality and outside of McAvoy on the back end, there's not much there either.
I don't know about a "field day." Tampa is a forechecking team, their game is based on getting two guys in and hitting the defense, not just against the Bruins but against everyone. It's a hard style to play but when it's working it's very effective... I think Tampa just played their game.

I mean, the Bruins were the ones who boarded a player, the Bruins saw Coyle bury Hagel's face into the dasher, and it was a Bruin (McAvoy) who absolutely destroyed their best hitter, shattering Jeannot's stick into 3 pieces. Tampa had the edge on hits, but I thought the Bruins handed out some pretty punishing hits themselves.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Players that can actually play and bring physicality are hard to find, they always cost too much (Tanner Jeannot!), and teams don't like to part with them. You can get them on the backside of their careers- Foligno, Backes, Beleskey (I know, he was younger but declining all the same)- and look how that typically works out. The solution is to draft and develop these guys, and that requires a GM that values that side of a player enough to forgo other things. Our GM is not that guy, really.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I know all that. Why are we trying to get older and less flexible in the fourth line? Trenin is physical sure. Sherwood has been jn the league six years and hasn’t played 50 games since his rookie season. I don’t know how there’s any similarity to Clutterbuck whatsoever. And now we’re clogging the fourth with two 28+ year olds, one of which can’t even make Nashville’s lineup consistently? This hunt for physicality just to make us worse is bizarre to me.

We’re getting run constantry. Poitras, Pasta, Marchand, etc. We have no answer. You can play around that style during the season, but we all saw what happened when the playoffs start. Pasta got run last game and Carlo was the only one to try and answer, and he would have got hammered by Jeannot. It should be clear we need a physical upgrade before the playoffs.

And who are we losing in my lineup changes? Heinen IS 28 and was a UFA and a late sign on a PTO. Steen is 25 and has played 36 NHL games, Lauko has played 33 games and is playing 9 minutes a night. They are all fringe NHLers, no different than Sherwood right now and definitely worse than Trenin.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We’re getting run constantry. Poitras, Pasta, Marchand, etc. We have no answer. You can play around that style during the season, but we all saw what happened when the playoffs start. Pasta got run last game and Carlo was the only one to try and answer, and he would have got hammered by Jeannot. It should be clear we need a physical upgrade before the playoffs.

And who are we losing in my lineup changes? Heinen IS 28 and was a UFA and a late sign on a PTO. Steen is 25 and has played 36 NHL games, Lauko has played 33 games and is playing 9 minutes a night. They are all fringe NHLers, no different than Sherwood right now and definitely worse than Trenin.
We’re not getting run constantly. We get hit sometimes and we do the same.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Players that can actually play and bring physicality are hard to find, they always cost too much (Tanner Jeannot!), and teams don't like to part with them. You can get them on the backside of their careers- Foligno, Backes, Beleskey (I know, he was younger but declining all the same)- and look how that typically works out. The solution is to draft and develop these guys, and that requires a GM that values that side of a player enough to forgo other things. Our GM is not that guy, really.
I think they're very hard to draft too, because guys that are really physical in junior aren't necessarily all that highly skilled, they're just more physically mature. That size/strength edge goes away in the AHL and NHL.

Plus, it's not something that's taught to this new generation, not in America anyways. USA Hockey has changed the rules so much for youth all the way to u18 that it really discourages playing that style. You have to be 'making a play on the puck' when you hit a player, if your stick isn't on the ice and in the area of the puck it's an interference penalty. Any hit on a player without the puck, even if he just released it, is a penalty (because you can't make a play on the puck if he just released it). Any 'big' hit is called roughing, doesn't matter if it's shoulder to shoulder/chest, if you blow someone up it's a roughing. USA Hockey also doesn't allow kids to ice the puck on a penalty kill (which is crazy at u18 because they can ice it in high school) and they don't allow tag up off-sides because they think it prevents dump ins and forces regroups (but it really just encourages off-sides whistles and lengthens games). But I digress.

Reactions: SPV

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think they're very hard to draft too, because guys that are really physical in junior aren't necessarily all that highly skilled, they're just more physically mature. That size/strength edge goes away in the AHL and NHL.

Plus, it's not something that's taught to this new generation, not in America anyways. USA Hockey has changed the rules so much for youth all the way to u18 that it really discourages playing that style. You have to be 'making a play on the puck' when you hit a player, if your stick isn't on the ice and in the area of the puck it's an interference penalty. Any hit on a player without the puck, even if he just released it, is a penalty (because you can't make a play on the puck if he just released it). Any 'big' hit is called roughing, doesn't matter if it's shoulder to shoulder/chest, if you blow someone up it's a roughing. USA Hockey also doesn't allow kids to ice the puck on a penalty kill (which is crazy at u18 because they can ice it in high school) and they don't allow tag up off-sides because they think it prevents dump ins and forces regroups (but it really just encourages off-sides whistles and lengthens games). But I digress.
You are right about USA Hockey rules for sure, especially the offside and icing, but many coaches and parents definitely want their kids to finish their hits, way too much in fact, at least the games I’ve watched over the last several years. But you’re still right.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Been trying to find a way to say this without sounding condescending so if that's how it comes off I'm sorry, but I feel like the people saying that we need to be spending assets on upgrading the 4th line or bottom pair don't really understand just how little assets the front office is working with right now. We don't have any picks until the 4th round in this coming draft. We don't have enough cap space to field a full roster, so any trade needs to be money in, money out. And our prospect pool, while I think we all agree at this point is underrated nationally, isn't exactly flush with a ton of guys that will have much value on the trade market.

All this to say that trading out a contract to free up some cap space and get some draft capital back and then immediately getting rid of both those to upgrade the 4th line, despite the 4th line being effective all season so far, makes no sense to me. That directly impacts your ability to add an impact player into the top 6, which needs to be the goal unless everyone here is comfortable with heinen or geekie on the 2nd line come playoffs.
You are not condescending at all, you are right why are we looking at 4th liners, when we need a goal scorer, a d--man, and physicality. I am not saying a 4th liner could not be part of a deal that includes what I just said. I have always been a fan of DeBrusk, and to be honest I think he has been playing well but he is not scoring and how do sign him now that his contract will be up. I think Lysell should be in conversations if a deal was to be made if needed to get something done. Gryz is mentioned in every posting that we read and he should be, again like DeBrusk, I like Gryz and I think he is a good hockey player, but he is up for a contract and we need cap space, and lets be honest he has not played well in the playoffs. I am not making proposals, because I am not very good at that, but Zadorov has been mentioned, but what about Jake Middleton ,I have always been high Lawson Crouse, and I get that Arizona is not rushing out to mve him, but you never know, We all agree Poitras is a talent but I question if he is ready for a long NHL season at this time, would a Jack McBain be someone who might take some of the load off of playing the kid every night, I know that means shuffling the deck, but Beecher has played well enough to fill in once in a awhile. I hope the Bruins don't go moving picks for a Elias Lindholm or some other thirty year old center that will be costly to obtain, or resign.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Do you actually think we’re getting run constantly? How many hits have happened to us the level of what McAvoy is dishing out?
Just from the other night, Lauko got smashed pretty good and Marchand got leveled in the first. That's from the Buffalo game. Xhekaj had a few big hits in their first meeting in Montreal, too.

They're the nail far more often than the hammer.

My issue is McAvoy is legitimately the only one who does it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Just from the other night, Lauko got smashed pretty good and Marchand got leveled in the first. That's from the Buffalo game.

They're the nail far more often than the hammer.

My issue is McAvoy is legitimately the only one who does it.
The Dahlin hit on Marchy was as clean as it gets. And yet the team answered it.

Again, there’s a difference between hitting and getting run. We are not getting run.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Again, there’s a difference between hitting and getting run. We are not getting run.
I never said the Marchand hit wasn't clean. You asked a question. I answered it.

A scrum where your leading scorer gets tossed down from behind by his neck isn't answering for it. If that's your definition of a response, so be it, I guess. That's why you and I will likely never ever see the game from the same light.

Like I said. 70-30 on them being on the receiving end.

Reactions: BBruins and SPV

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I never said the Marchand hit wasn't clean. A scrum where your leading scorer gets tossed down from behind by his neck isn't answering for it. If that's your definition of a response, so be it, I guess. That's why you and I will likely never ever see the game from the same light.

Like I said. 70-30 on them being on the receiving end.
We could have 11 Deslauriers in the lineup and you’d be pining for 12. Yeah we’ll never see the game the same way.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Well, this can continue to be discussed, but to night's game could be a good measuring stick. Not to equate the sad situation with Luccic and what his family is going through right now with hockey, but this is the type of game I believed he was signed for.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
We could have 11 Deslauriers in the lineup and you’d be pining for 12. Yeah we’ll never see the game the same way.
Once again. Never once said that, but alright. If you took the time to read what I've been saying, I've been saying a forward who can play in the top 9 that is physical would be nice as would a bottom pair d-man who plays a physical game. I think if you add two pieces like that they'll be in better shape for a post season run.

Not once was I asking to fill this team with Nic Deslauriers'

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Well, this can continue to be discussed, but to night's game could be a good measuring stick. Not to equate the sad situation with Luccic and what his family is going through right now with hockey, but this is the type of game I believed he was signed for.
What does Lucic change about the Lightning game? People say Pasta got run, is Looch on the ice to prevent that? Is 6'0" 180lb Mikey Eyssimont gonna go with Looch is response to that? If he's in the lineup nothing changes.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
What does Lucic change about the Lightning game? People say Pasta got run, is Looch on the ice to prevent that? Is 6'0" 180lb Mikey Eyssimont gonna go with Looch is response to that? If he's in the lineup nothing changes.
The effect of a guy like Lucic isn’t just when he’s on the ice. It’s that every guy can play like they’re an inch taller. You could see that earlier when he was playing. It’s the same as if you add a top line guy.

There’s always going to be hits like that, but we can feel a little bit more confident about returning the favor.

Reactions: Hookslide

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Its hockey. Guys are gonna finish their checks when the opportunity presents itself, regardless of who is on the ice for the opposition. Lucic or no Lucic, if you have a chance to hammer David Pastrnak, you're going to take it because if you don't, you're out of the league. I damn sure don't think McAvoy takes inventory of the other team's lineup before he decides to hammer someone, and I don't expect other teams to do that same thing with our lineup.

This is all a giant nothing burger, cooked up by fans who don't like seeing their players get trucked from time to time. In the case of 5'10/180lb Matthew Poitras, yeah he's got the laws of physics working against him, and he needs to learn to protect himself accordingly.

Reactions: USGRANT and dugg133

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
The effect of a guy like Lucic isn’t just when he’s on the ice. It’s that every guy can play like they’re an inch taller. You could see that earlier when he was playing. It’s the same as if you add a top line guy.

There’s always going to be hits like that, but we can feel a little bit more confident about returning the favor.
This is just gonna be one of those thing we're gonna have to disagree on cause I think this is complete nonsense. There's been zero difference in the way guys have played to me.

Reactions: USGRANT

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I did not say anything about the Tampa game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad