Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He’s getting hit yes. I never said he wasn’t. Run implies something else entirely - has he had one bad, late, or dirty hit on him?

Montgomery isn’t switching lines up because poitras is simply getting hit.

It was apparent enough for the media to ask, apparent enough for montgomery to admit he’s noticed it too and Frederic was put there to deter it. Frederic himself said he was told he was moving lines to protect poitras.

Everyone else seems to see it, except you.

Reactions: Dizzay

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Montgomery isn’t switching lines up because poitras is simply getting hit.

It was apparent enough for the media to ask, apparent enough for montgomery to admit he’s noticed it too and Frederic was put there to deter it. Frederic himself said he was told he was moving lines to protect poitras.

Everyone else seems to see it, except you.
Why did he only play Frederic and Poitras together for 37 minutes? Why is Frederic not playing with Poitras now?

Again, where is the late or dirty hit on Poitras?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why did he only play Frederic and Poitras together for 37 minutes? Why is Frederic not playing with Poitras now?

Again, where is the late or dirty hit on Poitras?

It’s happening in the game, you actually have to turn it on to see it happen and take your nose out of nhl.com box score page.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Everything is an argument, lol.

Apparently everyone else is wrong, montgomery, the media, Frederic, us, etc.

Poitras isn’t getting run. Frederic and Montgomery both misspoke in their interviews. Everything is fine. Montgomery put Frederic there for fun!

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Poitras isn’t getting run. Frederic and Montgomery both misspoke in their interviews. Everything is fine. Montgomery put Frederic there for fun!
If we had a team full of Nic Deslauriers like I apparently said this wouldn't be an issue!

Reactions: capecodder

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Seriously name one bad hit Poitras has taken. One.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What’s happening? Frederic not playing with Poitras or Poitras getting “run”?

What’s not happening is you seeing and hearing correctly.

I guess montgomery, Frederic, the media members who came up with/asked the question, the vast majority of this forum.

All of them are wrong and you are right!

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What’s not happening is you seeing and hearing correctly.

I guess montgomery, Frederic, the media members who came up with/asked the question, the vast majority of this forum.

All of them are wrong and you are right!
Why did Monty switch Freddie off of Poitras line if he’s getting run?

Getting run doesn't necessarily mean a "bad hit"
Oh really now. So it just means getting legally checked?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Why did Monty switch Freddie off of Poitras line if he’s getting run?

Oh really now. So it just means getting legally checked?
To a degree it could. It could also be a full on green light at a particular part of the game where it could be deemed a bit unnecessary. Could be a questionable late hit. Could be a greasy hit. It's pretty subjective to be honest.

Man, it's incredible. You ask a question and I can answer it without making a completely false generalization. Who would have thought?!

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
To a degree it could. It could also be a full on green light at a particular part of the game where it could be deemed a bit unnecessary. Could be a questionable late hit. Could be a greasy hit. It's pretty subjective to be honest.

Man, it's incredible. You ask a question and I can answer it without making a completely false generalization. Who would have thought?!
It can be anything you want it to be!

Now walk me through where that’s happening to Poitras?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
This is just gonna be one of those thing we're gonna have to disagree on cause I think this is complete nonsense. There's been zero difference in the way guys have played to me.
I'm not sure calling it nonsense is correct...currently intangible sure but I'm certain there are some "toughness impact measurables" available to each team's proprietary suite of analytics tools which makes teams go in search for such players. In today's hockey those player have to also bring something else to the table, not just be enforcers.

I like the example of changing the coach midseason for the"the dead cat bounce" uptick in play and wins...people knew is was real without putting stats to it publicly (I'm sure they did privately in their analytics departments though)...when analyzed the numbers bear out (for reference Do NFL Teams Really Get A Bounce After Firing Their Coaches?).

Having played the game and by watching the game I truly 100% believe the impact of a physical player(s) in the lineup can indeed lead to better outcomes. I await the smoking gun metrics for impact on physicality to be in the public domain (again I think they already exist behind closed proprietary team doors). Who doesn't want to be friends with the toughest guy in the bar? Makes you feel more secure to be yourself and carry on knowing someone has your back.

Reactions: SPV

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I think Monty definitely put Poitras next to Freddy to protect him during that two game road trip against the Wings and Star we had 2 weeks ago, cause without the benefit of last change he couldn't protect him by keeping him off the ice against certain guys.

But also in the 5 games since that road trip Freddy and Poitras haven't spent more then like 40 seconds on the ice together at 5v5. And that includes games against some heavy teams like Tampa and the Islanders. So it's clearly not something Monty is overly worried about.

But Poitras has been playing with fan favorite and noted tough guy Danton Heinen over those last 5 games, so maybe that's all the protection he needs.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think Monty definitely put Poitras next to Freddy to protect him during that two game road trip against the Wings and Star we had 2 weeks ago, cause without the benefit of last change he couldn't protect him by keeping him off the ice against certain guys.

But also in the 5 games since that road trip Freddy and Poitras haven't spent more then like 40 seconds on the ice together at 5v5. And that includes games against some heavy teams like Tampa and the Islanders. So it's clearly not something Monty is overly worried about.

But Poitras has been playing with fan favorite and noted tough guy Danton Heinen over those last 5 games, so maybe that's all the protection he needs.

I think Monty wanted to test out chemistry and decided to throw Frederic on Poitras line. To play into the media narrative and possibly also work the officials he threw out the message about the bodyguard role for Frederic. I can't imagine too many guys are worried about answering to Frederic so to me that's not really a deterrent.

The unfortunate byproduct of Monty doing that though is he's now riling up the fanbase into thinking poor lilttle Matty is being picked on by the rest of the league. I've already cleared that up in a recent GDT where the issue isn't Poitras being targeted, its that he's an easy target. Plenty of players in this league would go for a clean out hit if other NHL players would just stand still. Most of the time it is incredibly hard to line someone up for a solid hit. Players are too elusive. Poitras doesn't have the experience yet.

He needs to learn at the NHL pace how to not leave himself open for hits. Can't be puck watching at this level. Can't be doing a cut back on half your zone entries and not expect to have a backchecker clean you out.

If Marchand was as careless about his safety on the ice as Poitras is right now players would be lining him up too. Thing is Marchand is way too experienced to be making those rookie mistakes Poitras is doing thats putting him into positions to be lit up.

If its a dirty hit that's one thing. But I am not seeing that.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
You're talking to the wrong guy. I never said anything in regards to that.

Now walk me through where I said I wanted a team full of Nic Deslauriers. You claimed I did earlier.
Hahaha there is zero sense arguing with someone who is always right! If you said shit stinks, it'd be argued that it somehow comes out smelling like roses! Forbort sucks, Bruins don't need physicality, they outhit their opponents, etc etc etc! Just nod and agree!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Maybe Heinen is protecting Poitras back defensively because, as with most 19 year-old players, their defensive game isn'y very good.

And if it seems like the kid is taking some hard hits, that's also part of the learning process. Figuring out how to stay out of the dangerous spots, not putting yourself in a vulnerable position.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm locking this up. Too much trash to sift through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad