Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Losing Greer for Brown hurts even more with Lucic injured. Greer was hardly a good fighter but 6'3 and could try.

Except that Heinen right now is not an NHL player and is with the team by choice, not because he is contractually obligated. He can't play in any games so I am really not sure why the league would care. The Bruins are not stopping from Heinen from getting a contract elsewhere if he can and wants to. No loophole is being exploited- if the Bruins want him to play, then he has to have a contract.

Heinen also risks injury in a practice. His decision.

Reactions: Kegs and Dr Hook

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Losing Greer for Brown hurts even more with Lucic injured. Greer was hardly a good fighter but 6'3 and could try.

Heinen also risks injury in a practice. His decision.

They didn't really lose Greer for Brown, they waived both. I didn't dislike Greer, he played hard but he was pretty marginal at every aspect of the game, and I don't think his loss hurts this team in any way. Because of there contract situation, as least right now they can't afford any bench players who don't have the flexibility to bounce up and down to the AHL

Hopefully they don't end up in the situation this year the Rangers hit last year where they were often playing 1-2 players short

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The Boston Bruins have confirmed that winger Milan Lucic has been designated for LTIR, sidelining him for a minimum of 10 games and 24 days. Stepping into his spot on the roster is center Oskar Steen. Lucic’s absence is attributed to a lower-body injury, initially anticipated to sideline him for a few weeks. He will first be eligible to play on Nov. 18 vs. Montreal.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Fine with me,

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yes but will the players actually see it this way? :dunno:

It's one thing to give the right answers in public. It is quite another thing to see it actually in practice come game time.

They can and I believe with Brad Marchand and a constellation of Next Up leaders, they will.
Marchand won't allow repeat offender passengers. Sunny Jim better not either.

As with every institution, business or organization, leadership and "culture" emanates from the top.

By the same token, "A fish rots from the head," as our Italian friends would have it.

I don't see (or smell) any rotten fish at present, nor do I expect to in future.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
They can and I believe with Brad Marchand and a constellation of Next Up leaders, they will.
Marchand won't allow repeat offender passengers. Sunny Jim better not either.

As with every institution, business or organization, leadership and "culture" emanates from the top.

By the same token, "A fish rots from the head," as our Italian friends would have it.

I don't see (or smell) any rotten fish at present, nor do I expect to in future.
Sunny Jim lol. :laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Sunny Jim lol. :laugh:

Well, he appears open to adaption.

Wearing the black hat on occasion, respect but not deference to his leaders. Willing to call guys out a bit. Understands and accepts that the B's are now a grinding, heavy, even physical club that will have to fight for every inch of ice.

He doesn't seem to mind.

There's hope for our Sunny Jim yet,

1698533097471.png

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Fine with me,

No money. Though he'd look great in our top 6. If you have a center problem, doesn't matter who's centering both 88's...

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Kane is a one dimensional player, seems like a shit attitude as well. He's not a Bruin!
Yeah but that is one hell of a dimension. I also don’t but the bad attitude thing. The guy has been in the league for years and seems fine.

He’s also Mr Clutch when it counts, so maybe he’s not a Bruin. :sarcasm

Idk I just like the guy. Yeah I know he did some stupid stuff in the past. I also think it’s incredibly unlikely he comes here.

May as well try to get Marner while the Leafs are low on him. Leaf fans anyway.

Yeah not gonna happen!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Brown brings nothing would love to see one of the other young guys that are putting up points in providence get a shot

Not that there are any guys like that in Providence, but 4th liners are not there for their offense.

Brown did play a big part in McAvoy's goal last night. Boxed out defender to allow Charlie a path to the net.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

There’s a lot the Bruins like about Oskar Steen, which is why in April 2022 general manager Don Sweeney signed him to a two-year contract worth a guaranteed $800,000 per year. Steen would just like them to like him more.
Granted, $800,000 is not a huge sum. In fact, it’s a whopping 94 percent discount off the $13 million that fellow winger David Pastrnak will coin this season after firing home 61 goals in 2022-23.

There are, after all, varying degrees of reassurance when it comes to votes of confidence.
But for a guy who has yet to sink his skates into NHL ice with any regularity, that $800,000 one-way deal told Steen he had a place with the Bruins — one that came to fruition Saturday when he was summoned from AHL Providence and placed in the lineup hours later at the Garden for a 4-1 win over the Red Wings.

Now, for the fifth year running since leaving his home in Sweden to play in North America, the 5-foot-10-inch “brandpost” (Swedish for fire hydrant) would like the Providence-Boston shuttle to end. He prefers to be a Boston Bruin, one who doesn’t show up like he did Saturday morning, a WannaB with all his hockey tools shoved in a big Spoked-P bag, needing to persuade one and all that he’s a legit, don’t-let-me-ever-see-Route-95-again NHLer.

“For sure, I was disappointed,” said the 25-year-old Steen, noting how he felt when the fall’s varsity camp ended here and he, once again, was pointed back to Rhode Island. “I felt like I was very close to making the [Boston] team and I felt I had a really good camp.”

Steen, playing right wing on a fourth line Saturday with Johnny Beecher and Patrick Brown, finished with 9:31 in ice time and landed two shots on net.

“I liked his game,” noted coach Jim Montgomery. “I really liked in the third period when he took a shot and then bull-rushed to the net. He almost banged home his own rebound. You can’t get enough of that.”

“I was pleased,” Steen said about his season debut. “I mean, it was OK, but I can be better. It’s the way it works up here, right? I’m not going to get big minutes, but I have to do the best with what I get.”

Providence is home Sunday afternoon vs. Springfield. It’s possible that Steen will rejoin the WannaB’s for that one, then return for Monday’s game at the Garden vs. Florida.

“Haven’t heard anything yet,” said Steen, as he prepared to pack up postgame.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Keep Steen up, and when Looch omes off IR, send Brown down 95 and leave him there. Use Steen in Lauko's spot till Lauko is back, then mix and match. I would much rather Steen get a strong oppportunity to make his mark then a 31 year old AHL lifer.
The only explanation that makes sense is Brown was brought in as insurance in case Beecher, Lauko, etc. weren't ready to step in. I guess that's OK, it's like like my Life Insurance policy, it's there but I hope I never have to use it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The only explanation that makes sense is Brown was brought in as insurance in case Beecher, Lauko, etc. weren't ready to step in. I guess that's OK, it's like like my Life Insurance policy, it's there but I hope I never have to use it.
Oh at some point you will need use it you just won't know that you are.........

Reactions: aguineapig72

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Based on what, 5 points in Providence?

Neither one is big or physical, nor have either ever played an NHL game. Not suited for Bruins 4th line duty at this point.

Besides, Steen is already here.
That’s why Steen got the call up. We can have skilled players on the 4th line there is no rule against that. I’d take Danton Heinen at this point over Brown.

Reactions: Dr Hook

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Farinacci and Merkulov have been 5 points in 6 games . Both would be better options than Brown.

Merkulov had his shot to show himself in camp, and it seems like he didn't show he was ready. Farinacci is 6 games out of college, maybe he will get a shot at some point.

I'm no Brown fan, and their are guys I'd rather have over him for sure, but he is a trusted vet who does work in the defensive zome.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
As long as Poitras stays, I think the lines are at a good place when everyone is healthy. Even though Poitras and Geekie have been playing well together, the one change I would make is move JVR to the 2nd line and move Geekie down to the third line. I believe DeBrusk, Poitras, and JVR were rolled out as a line in a preseason game, and they looked pretty good together. I think it will benefit both DeBrusk and Poitras having more of a veteran voice on their line. I think it will also benefit DeBrusk too because he plays his best when he's going after the puck which is something Geekie is currently doing on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad