Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 opening night roster set

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ok, I actually can't wait until Dvo gets back. Pearson and Gallagher aren't a fit in the top 9, and so we need Dvo back to complete the top 9 - unless Ylonen can prove he can be there.

But until then here's how I'd go:

Caufield - Suzuki - RHP
Newhook - Dach - Slaf
Anderson - Monahan - Ylonen
Gallagher - Evans - Pearson/Pez

Ouch, I feel bad for Evans!

Reactions: Skip Bayless

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Ok, I actually can't wait until Dvo gets back. Pearson and Gallagher aren't a fit in the top 9, and so we need Dvo back to complete the top 9 - unless Ylonen can prove he can be there.

Caufield - Suzuki - RHP
Newhook - Dach - Slaf

Is t Dvorak on LTIR? Meaning it will be a really while before he’s back. Not sure Monahan will last that long.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Caufield - Suzuki - RHP
Newhook - Dach - Slaf

I'm not about padding anyone's stats. I just want balanced lines that can score more than they give up. Meanwhile, develop, develop, develop.

So here is what I would suggest:

1. Roster moves:
a. Waive Allen and when he is not claimed, send him down to work with and mentor Dobes.​
That allows us to return to a 14-7-2 formation.​
b. Callup Lindstrom and staple him to the press box. Send Barron down to play a regular shift and only call him back up if there is an injury or someone in the top 6 shows he can't handle NHL shifts and needs time in Laval​
c. Call up Armia until Dvorak is back.​

2. Give Monty a shot at 1A (70%) and play Primeau as a backup for two months (30%).

3. Re-balance the forward lines with some defence on each line, and some size or toughness on each line
RHP-Suzuki-Caufield​
Newhook-Dach-Slafkovsky​
Ylonen-Monahan-Anderson​
Pearson-Evans-Armia/Gallagher (rotation)​
spares: Gallagher/Armia, Pezzetta​
4. Spread the experience on the defence pairings
Matheson-Harris​
Guhle-Kovacevic​
Xhekaj-Savard​
spare: Lindstrom​
5. Give Armia's spot in Laval to a developing player such as Davidson until Dvorak returns

6. When Dvorak returns, re-waive Armia and run:
Dvorak-Suzuki-Caufield​
Newhook-Dach-Slafkovsky​
RHP-Monahan-Anderson​
Pearson/Ylonen-Evans-Ylonen/Gallagher (rotation)​
spares: Gallagher/Pearson, Pezzetta​
This is a clear pro-development strategy. It reduces the roles of our over-30 guys - Armia, Gallagher, Pearson, Savard and Allen while keeping them in the organization.

It gives development opportunity to guys who need ice time to see what they can do: Ylonen, Harris, Primeau (in Montreal) and Barron and someone like Davidson (in Laval)

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not about padding anyone's stats. I just want balanced lines that can score more than they give up. Meanwhile, develop, develop, develop.

So here is what I would suggest:

1. Roster moves:
a. Waive Allen and when he is not claimed, send him down to work with and mentor Dobes.​
That allows us to return to a 14-7-2 formation.​
b. Callup Lindstrom and staple him to the press box. Send Barron down to play a regular shift and only call him back up if there is an injury or someone in the top 6 shows he can't handle NHL shifts and needs time in Laval​
c. Call up Armia until Dvorak is back.​

2. Give Monty a shot at 1A (70%) and play Primeau as a backup for two months (30%).

3. Re-balance the forward lines with some defence on each line, and some size or toughness on each line
RHP-Suzuki-Caufield​
Newhook-Dach-Slafkovsky​
Ylonen-Monahan-Anderson​
Pearson-Evans-Armia/Gallagher (rotation)​
spares: Gallagher/Armia, Pezzetta​
4. Spread the experience on the defence pairings
Matheson-Harris​
Guhle-Kovacevic​
Xhekaj-Savard​
spare: Lindstrom​
5. Give Armia's spot in Laval to a developing player until Dvorak returns

6. When Dvorak returns, re-waive Armia and run:
Dvorak-Suzuki-Caufield​
Newhook-Dach-Slafkovsky​
RHP-Monahan-Anderson​
Pearson/Ylonen-Evans-Ylonen/Gallagher (rotation)​
spares: Gallagher/Pearson, Pezzetta​
This is a clear pro-development strategy. It reduces the roles of our over-30 guys - Armia, Gallagher, Pearson, Savard and Allen while keeping them in the organization.

It gives development opportunity to guys who need ice time to see what they can do: Ylonen, Harris, Primeau (in Montreal) and Barron (in Laval)

I would really like to see all of this.

Except I'm ok with Armia being in Laval until we see where we need him in Montreal. I fear if he's brought up too quickly, he could take time away from RHP and Ylonen. Maybe Pearson doesn't have it anymore. I mean I'd be all for the rotation of Pearson, Gallagher, and Armia on the 4th line. But MSL might start using them in the top 9...

But yeah I'd like to get Davidson a regular spot in Laval ASAP. He's one of the forward prospects in Laval with the most NHL upside.

Matheson-Harris could work. MSL will first see if Matheson-Savard can get it together, I suspect.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I will be real, if Gallagher does not step up his game, he should be benched. He is lucky that he has a NMC but if he is not worth his ice time, let some other kids play.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would really like to see all of this.

Except I'm ok with Armia being in Laval until we see where we need him in Montreal. I fear if he's brought up too quickly, he could take time away from RHP and Ylonen. Maybe Pearson doesn't have it anymore. I mean I'd be all for the rotation of Pearson, Gallagher, and Armia on the 4th line.

Yes we could do virtually the same thing with just 13F and use Pezzetta to spell Gallagher. The only problem is Armia being used a lot in Laval and he becomes a crutch for results, taking the focus off development.

But MSL might start using them in the top 9...

This whole plan will not even get off the ground if the coach wants to over-play the declining vets, so if we make the first move, which is to waive Allen, I won't be worried about Marty.

But yeah I'd like to get Davidson a regular spot in Laval ASAP. He's one of the forward prospects in Laval with the most NHL upside.

Yes.

Matheson-Harris could work. MSL will first see if Matheson-Savard can get it together, I suspect.
Mtheson -Savard works beautifully if the idea is to have two defence pairs with virtually no experience.

I will be real, if Gallagher does not step up his game, he should be benched. He is lucky that he has a NMC but if he is not worth his ice time, let some other kids play.
Start by moving him to the fourth line, and skipping one game of a back to back.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Mtheson -Savard works beautifully if the idea is to have two defence pairs with virtually no experience.

I haven't been able watch much. But many are complaining about the pair...

At any rate, really exciting times with our top 8 looking so good, plus Evan's and Ylonen. Only forwards that don't look good are Pearson and Gally.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I haven't been able watch much. But many are complaining about the pair...

At any rate, really exciting times with our top 8 looking so good, plus Evan's and Ylonen. Only forwards that don't look good are Pearson and Gally.
Me too. I don't like it.

Just to be clear.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I liked that Dvo - Suzuki - Slaf line at the end of the game.

I think they could do well 5 on 5.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Had to read you post because bump and now Dvorak is on your 1st line. I… disagree and a am a bit underwhelmed. Moving onto the Slaf thread…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad