Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Edmundson and Schultz are very different types of D men. Not sure if Schultz has much of a market but I would have liked to see both him and Eberle moved before the TDL.
Agreed on the differences, speaking more to the caliber of play. I was under the impression that Edmunson was more or less cooked, and was suprised to see him fetch as much as he did.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So does anyone know what is going on with Dunn?

I can’t find a timeline for his injury, nothing

He still wasn't on the ice for practise yesterday.

My guess is a concussion, but no one knows so far.

Though, don't expect more informaion than "upper body injury" by the team if he isn't available for todays game against Winnipeg.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Am concerned about neck injuries as well, when players hit the boards like that. So far I haven't seen a peep regarding Dunn's condition.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
They need to be very active this offseason. Need scorers badly.
Thats why I think you need to bring up Wright and a couple others that may not be quite ready to see what you potentially have.

Up and down the roster a bunch of underachieving players when you look at the numbers. It sucks that we now have competent goal tending and now they can’t score.

You may have to trade away future draft picks to get scorers which I’d be fine with.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
It's incredible how badly Francis messed everything up. He should be the first to go this offseason.

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
It's incredible how badly Francis messed everything up. He should be the first to go this offseason.

Good lord... what did Francis "badly" mess up? What high-level offensive player were the Kraken supposed to get from the Expansion Draft? (Hint: there wasn't one.) Or during free agency? Did you expect him to trade away all of Seattle's 1st and 2nd round picks?

GMs will make some good moves and some not so good moves, and there are certainly areas where Francis made some mistakes (probably should have kept Sprong; Gru's contract is tough to unload, etc.), but the #1 issue with this team this year is scoring. High-end offensive talent doesn't just fall into your lap (unless you're Chicago or Pittsburgh).

Francis isn't going to get fired this off season. Zero percent chance of that occurring and he doesn't deserve to be fired.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Thats why I think you need to bring up Wright and a couple others that may not be quite ready to see what you potentially have.

Up and down the roster a bunch of underachieving players when you look at the numbers. It sucks that we now have competent goal tending and now they can’t score.

You may have to trade away future draft picks to get scorers which I’d be fine with.
Prospective deals will be less panic based and more sensible come summer. The TDL is a gong show of, usually, overpayment or poor return.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Dude. They have a solid young goalie, a very good young dman, and even though team scoring is an issue, it’s coming via a pipeline of astute drafting.
You can only work with what you have, and what the Kraken had after the expansion draft wasn’t then and never will be what Vegas had. GMs learned, and thus the fate of the Kraken is going to be based on patience and maybe the odd FA signing. It has to be.
You seem to want a big splash, to put all your chips in with a pair of 4’s. To achieve what? Say Seattle wins two rounds that way. And? They pick in the third round of the next draft?
Sorry, but I’d rather wait and enjoy sustained excellence than go all in six points out of a wild card.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

You better get ready to be really dissapointed this offseason.

The free agent class is absolute crap(not that I'd ever advocate going big in free agency) and there also doesn't seem to be any elite talent unhappy with their current situation.

My guess is that this will be a pretty boring offseason with maybe a trade for a solid guy and replacing Bellmare with a better center while bringing up Wright.

After re-signing Eberle and expecting the team to keep Benieres and Tolvanen as well, the Kraken will already have nine forwards under contract for next year and not all that much in cap space.

Therefore I think the offseason will be pretty uneventfull and the best option would be to keep some cap space in the event someone becomes availabe during next season.

Overall it also fits into what the team is doing cause looking back at interviews from last offseason the goal of the team seems to be to always "make the playoffs", at least according to Francis.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You better get ready to be really dissapointed this offseason.

The free agent class is absolute crap(not that I'd ever advocate going big in free agency) and there also doesn't seem to be any elite talent unhappy with their current situation.

My guess is that this will be a pretty boring offseason with maybe a trade for a solid guy and replacing Bellmare with a better center while bringing up Wright.

After re-signing Eberle and expecting the team to keep Benieres and Tolvanen as well, the Kraken will already have nine forwards under contract for next year and not all that much in cap space.

Therefore I think the offseason will be pretty uneventfull and the best option would be to keep some cap space in the event someone becomes availabe during next season.

Overall it also fits into what the team is doing cause looking back at interviews from last offseason the goal of the team seems to be to always "make the playoffs", at least according to Francis.
Unfortunately, I think this analysis is spot on.

I can kind of see the logic of this from management's position. Trying to make the playoffs, being always that close, carries with it a lot of regular season excitement and that keeps the punters filling up the seats. It makes for a kind of pseudo-playoffs atmosphere. But who really wants to be the second coming of the Minnesota Wild? Not me.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Outsider here with a depth chart question: On one depth chart I've recently seen Vince Dunn is listed as a 'scratch' and left off the chart of defensemen completely.

I thought he was a valuable contributing player. Am I missing something?

Link: Seattle Kraken Depth Charts Roster and Line Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
1710094074053.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad