Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Probably game 3 or 4 for Drouin if everything goes well. Winning at least one in Dallas was big.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Landy has been ramping up what he does seemingly every day in the week leading up to the May 10th, 12 month anniversary / timeline of his rehab. All while holding himself back from doing more.

Wouldn't be surprised if on May 10th he ramps it up even more, after the doctors take the leash off him, and we start seeing him do hard stops and starts, and then we're probably just days away from his return.

I bet his conditioning is much better than we realize. He hasn't just been sitting on the couch for 12 months.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Landy has been ramping up what he does seemingly every day in the week leading up to the May 10th, 12 month anniversary / timeline of his rehab. All while holding himself back from doing more.

Wouldn't be surprised if on May 10th he ramps it up even more, after the doctors take the leash off him, and we start seeing him do hard stops and starts, and then we're probably just days away from his return.

I bet his conditioning is much better than we realize. He hasn't just been sitting on the couch for 12 months.
There are more steps in between hard stop/start and playing. We need to see him do a noncontact practice, then a full practice, then we can talk about a game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There are more steps in between hard stop/start and playing. We need to see him do a noncontact practice, then a full practice, then we can talk about a game.

That can be done in 1-2 practices though, if his conditioning is already up to par for playing 8-10 minutes in a reduced role.

Full contact practice is usually the last step for returning players and often only needs 1 practice.

If we read between the lines, he's been a lot further along in his rehab for a while, but just holding himself back publicly from doing more to follow the doctors orders.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I doubt there is anything special about 366 days versus 350 days or 340 days or whatever. He wouldn't wait until exactly 366 days before being able to do X or Y. He would be regularly checking in with the doctor, doing tests and scans to see how things are holding up, and adjusting routines accordingly based on how everything looks and how his body has been responding.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
That can be done in 1-2 practices though, if his conditioning is already up to par for playing 8-10 minutes in a reduced role.

Full contact practice is usually the last step for returning players and often only needs 1 practice.

If we read between the lines, he's been a lot further along in his rehab for a while, but just holding himself back publicly from doing more to follow the doctors orders.
It would be pretty remarkable if his conditioning is up to par (for playoff nhl hockey) after two full years of not playing.

To that end, I wonder what kind of other (non skating) lower body exercise(s) he is able to do, after the surgery he had. I get that he could be doing all sorts of upper body and core workouts galore, but In order to be “up to par”, he’d have to currently be doing some kind of rigorous lower body strength and cardio exercise, no?

Reactions: Turbonium

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It would be pretty remarkable if his conditioning is up to par (for playoff nhl hockey) after two full years of not playing.

To that end, I wonder what kind of other (non skating) lower body exercise(s) he is able to do, after the surgery he had. I get that he could be doing all sorts of upper body and core workouts galore, but In order to be “up to par”, he’d have to currently be doing some kind of rigorous lower body strength and cardio exercise, no?
I think we’re also overestimating Landeskogs expectations here. I don’t mean you specifically AB, as this is just a very general post. Because we know how good he was and important he was in the past, it seems like the expectations for him to be ready are aligned with who he was.
Landeskog returning doesn’t mean he’s a top 6 forward. It likely means he’s the 12th forward. There’s always been an Avs forward in these playoffs playing 6-8 minutes.

Landeskog can easily be that player to start.
We don’t need him to be who he was right away. The emotional boost from him being on the bench and having a few shifts will be more than enough.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Love the way Parise has stepped up, but it's time to get Drouin back in the top six.

I don't think you can afford to take Nuke off the 1st line so it'll be interesting what Bednar does. The move would be to have Rantanen and Lehkonen flank Mittlestadt but Bednar won't move Rantanen.
he can't, not to the 2nd line. between lehky and mitts that is a serious working line. Moose just been coasting all season and playoffs.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think we’re also overestimating Landeskogs expectations here. I don’t mean you specifically AB, as this is just a very general post. Because we know how good he was and important he was in the past, it seems like the expectations for him to be ready are aligned with who he was.
Landeskog returning doesn’t mean he’s a top 6 forward. It likely means he’s the 12th forward. There’s always been an Avs forward in these playoffs playing 6-8 minutes.

Landeskog can easily be that player to start.
We don’t need him to be who he was right away. The emotional boost from him being on the bench and having a few shifts will be more than enough.

Great point. If that's the aim, he can do it. The guy is talented hockey player in the end.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I don’t see any way he plays this series tbh. I think if the Avs get to the third round, maybe, and I mean MAYBE there’s a chance. Could you imagine the morale boost if the captain comes back?

I’m trying to remain rational, but man that would be cool.
I agree. This is the best case I feel. He comes back as a third or fourth liner but will also be the smartest one of the bunch playing those lines. The morale boost though would be the biggest gain. though across the team. Could easily kick the team up another level of play.

Hanswurst

Oct 26, 2019
You guys really think/believe that Landy will be ever playing an NHL game again, let alone a Playoff Game?

He has been out for two years(!) and is skating like an 82 year old. Unfortunately he's done.

I don't know why anyone In here sees him coming back from this f*ckin* injury.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
If he does end up moving Mikko off of Line 1, and putting him w/ Lehky and Mitts, Mikko's directive needs to be to shoot the f***ing puck. We know Mittelstadt will always look to pass. Lehky is a bit of a do-everything, but he's not like a sniper or anything.

Mikko CAN shoot the puck well and get his share of goals, and he can be pretty accurate with it. I feel he's been a bit too much "passy-passy" lately and we need more "shooty-shooty" from him.
Lehky has more playoff goals than Moose because he shoots the F'ing puck. As Henchy so aptly described yesterday, Moose is F'ing lazy, and he's been that way all season.

Bednar needs to play hardball with Moose and get his boat anchor ass away from MacK.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
You guys really think/believe that Landy will be ever playing an NHL game again, let alone a Playoff Game?

He has been out for two years(!) and is skating like an 82 year old. Unfortunately he's done.

I don't know why anyone In here sees him coming back from this f*ckin* injury.
There is no way he goes through all this rehab and surgeries and doesn't lace them up for a couple more games to try and give it a go. I just see no point where he doesn't at least try. No one know what level he will ever get back to but I would bet the house on it that he at least gives it a go at some point.

We are obviously in new territory with not much data to support it working but there is also a lot of medical advancements where someone needs to be the first. Lonzo Ball is progressing well enough the Bull's just picked up his option to pay him $21.5mil next year. He had the same surgery.

So in my mind the man is coming back at some point you just don't know what the level will be or how long till he actually takes game action.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Lehky has more playoff goals than Moose because he shoots the F'ing puck. As Henchy so aptly described yesterday, Moose is F'ing lazy, and he's been that way all season.

Bednar needs to play hardball with Moose and get his boat anchor ass away from MacK.
I wasn’t slighting Lehky, in fact he’s the swiss-army knife on that line. But I also don’t think anyone is going to confuse him with being an elite sniper

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah Mikkos really boat anchoring Mackinnon after boat racing WPG and helping spearhead the comeback on Tuesday night.

Reactions: BleedWell

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah Mikkos really boat anchoring Mackinnon after boat racing WPG and helping spearhead the comeback on Tuesday night.
Come on now man, you seriously can't be watching these Avs games and not be largely disappointed with Rantanen's effort level. We have to accept his flaws (and some of those flaws are glaring and can/have cost the Avs dearly) because he also finds his way to the scoresheet.

But he ended the season and started that Winnipeg series looking/playing like compete asscheeks

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I'm sure there are articles and podcasts that exist I don't know any off hand, but the stuff is too well known to not be there somewhere. Stories of him pounding 4 darts between periods in pretty much every game he ever played (some, likely hyperbolic, stories have him finishing a pack from the start of the game through the shower). The bottles of vodka in his locker where he'd slam shots (sometimes before games). The fact that Dallas installed an ashtray in the showers so he could light up a dart while he showered. This shit is all over the place.
Having hung out and drank with a few Russians I think it is likely that he needed that Vodka to "calm the nerves."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Depends on the ass...
ff207ad10e0b6e16e362b9109d3c560d3165cb3c.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad