Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Even if he retires?
He's not going to retire before giving it a shot...and if he gives it a shot then yes he'll count against the cap to start the season.

Unless he officially retires before the draft we're going to lose important players because of him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Even if he retires?
If Landeskog were to straight up retire, his cap hit would go away and the Avs could use that cap space but he's not going to do that - that money is guaranteed and he's going to collect that money injured or not.

What would happen is pretty much what happened with Carey Price... Landy would/could choose to keep trying to get it sorted out but his contract would go on LTIR each year where the Avs would be able to spent his $7M cap hit OVER the actual cap limit of $87.5M or whatever it's going to be next year. (so $87.5 + $7M)

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If Landeskog were to straight up retire, his cap hit would go away and the Avs could use that cap space but he's not going to do that - that money is guaranteed and he's going to collect that money injured or not.

What would happen is pretty much what happened with Carey Price... Landy would/could choose to keep trying to get it sorted out but his contract would go on LTIR each year where the Avs would be able to spent his $7M cap hit OVER the actual cap limit of $87.5M or whatever it's going to be next year. (so $87.5 + $7M)
If he plays in pre-season, then could we LTIR him at the start of the season? Though this does make it tricky if there's any chance for him to still play, cause then we'd have to delay signings (players won't like this) or be over the cap (NHL won't like this)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unless he officially retires before the draft we're going to lose important players because of him.

Not just Landy, but also because of the direction CMac decided to go this year with the D core, giving Toews a raise long term, and perhaps keeping Girard, while trading their cheapest top 4 capable defenseman.

It remains to be seen if it'll be for better or worse, but the direction they decided to go down this year, will have many repercussions. One of them being they will have to lose one or perhaps two key players next year that they might not have going another direction.

Though I think there's a chance if they lose early in the playoffs, Cale may have hip surgery and go on LTIR until the playoffs next year. Which would help a lot with their cap, and may prevent other losses.

But then the question is, how does the Avs D core, and how does Toews look without Cale, and how does Cale look the first month or two coming back from hip surgery in the playoffs? A little scary to think about.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Where is this whole Makar missing an entire season so we put him on LTIR talk coming from? Makar himself said he’s not injured or has anything lingering

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

In other words , he needs to be at the Avs training camp, each season for the remainder of his contract and fail the team medical test.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Where is this whole Makar missing an entire season so we put him on LTIR talk coming from? Makar himself said he’s not injured or has anything lingering
Interesting, I’ve stated multiple times that I don’t think he has anything serious, if at all. Was this comment from him recent?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Interesting, I’ve stated multiple times that I don’t think he has anything serious, if at all. Was this comment from him recent?
Yup, it was a comment from Cale himself this season, probably about mid season. Someone asked him if he has any injury or anything lingering he said he doesn’t

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Yup, it was a comment from Cale himself this season, probably about mid season. Someone asked him if he has any injury or anything lingering he said he doesn’t
its-a-lie-success.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not a lie. He is obviously hurt.

Cale and Bednar both said Cale was dealing with an injury, they thought it would improve over the Summer but it didn't get to where they had hoped and he would just have to deal with it.

Players don't heal while playing games. I can almost guarantee he is dealing with something.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

Cale and Bednar both said Cale was dealing with an injury, they thought it would improve over the Summer but it didn't get to where they had hoped and he would just have to deal with it.

Players don't heal while playing games. I can almost guarantee he is dealing with something.
So it's a LIE! Cale said he's fine, and most of us think that he's not. Which is the point i was trying to make posting that gif ... :dunno:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

They said he was dealing with something when he was actually dealing with something early in the season, but then later in the season when Makar stopped missing games and seemed to be fine, he was asked if he still has anything lingering, he said he doesn’t

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I feel regardless of how the Avs do in the playoffs. Landy is going to roll into training camp and eye each player up and down. As he gets to MacKinnon, Nate will greet him with a grim but knowing smile. The toughest part of the job for a Captain is being a shepard and trying to keep the flock together. Gabe picks up his stick and commences to unleash hell on Cale's legs, all the while screaming something about payback's a bitch and they never should have given you Calgarians money. Nate slides Cale's player tag to the LTIR block as Landy picks up the phone to the GMs office. Operation Shenanigans is a go.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Someone posted a youtube clip last year of Cale Makar highlights from his first game going through the Cup winning game in 2022. His speed, agility, cuts, turns, "shake and bake moves", skating speed all look completely at a high level compared to this year. He's clearly struggling with something. The difference is night and day from the Makar we've seen this season.

I suggest some of you look for his highlights clips and you'll see a noticeable difference. If he needs surgery, best is to get it done this off season. You know, after we win the cup.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Someone posted a youtube clip last year of Cale Makar highlights from his first game going through the Cup winning game in 2022. His speed, agility, cuts, turns, "shake and bake moves", skating speed all look completely at a high level compared to this year. He's clearly struggling with something. The difference is night and day from the Makar we've seen this season.

I suggest some of you look for his highlights clips and you'll see a noticeable difference. If he needs surgery, best is to get it done this off season. You know, after we win the cup.
If anything this season shows how absurd of a skater he is technically. He’s clearly got something going on but even then he still looks like an elite level skater.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Makar played his absolute best hockey in the NHL during the first month of this season. He was very good and was carrying the team. Bednar overplayed him so much that I think it's the real reason of what happened later. He just got tired and never fully recovered.

After the All Star game he played his worst hockey in the NHL. Both offensively and defensively.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Makar played his absolute best hockey in the NHL during the first month of this season. He was very good and was carrying the team. Bednar overplayed him so much that I think it's the real reason of what happened later. He just got tired and never fully recovered.

After the All Star game he played his worst hockey in the NHL. Both offensively and defensively.
Personally I think it may have started out from being overplayed but I see him playing less confident than he ever has and that’s the biggest difference to me. Even his interview after the blown lead to Vegas, his answers and demeanour were of someone that was completely frazzled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad