Prospect Info: 2023-2024 In The System: Charlotte Checkers, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I imagine that’s the plan the second this NCAA season is over.
If some of these late round picks pan out for us (and it looks promising), that'd compensate a bit for our lack of first- (and second-) rounders.
Only wish our Dmen drafting was better - we have some guys who could eventually provide depth but nobody with any real upside. Right now, only Benning looks like he could be a 2nd pairing guy, and even that is highly uncertain with his size.
I think Nause will be good, we just have to be patient .

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I tend to agree but then I thought Denisenko was definitely gonna be a regular anywhere from 1st line to 3rd…
One difference though is that Nause has already performed very well in North American hockey at the junior level. We never got to see Deni over here at the junior level. Nause played on the top pairing of the Memorial Cup winner last year, Quebec Remparts. He's been in Estero this season, not Charlotte, and hasn't played a lot. But he's also younger than a lot of our defense prospects, certainly the ones in Charlotte.

Another d prospect that I think has a decent chance of becoming more than a depth piece is Kinnunen. He's having a really good year, although he is 24.

Didn't he have a somewhat significant injury at the start of the year?
He played a crazy long year in junior last year winning the memorial cup.
I think that was last season. Unless he suffered another one ...

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
One difference though is that Nause has already performed very well in North American hockey at the junior level. We never got to see Deni over here at the junior level. Nause played on the top pairing of the Memorial Cup winner last year, Quebec Remparts. He's been in Estero this season, not Charlotte, and hasn't played a lot. But he's also younger than a lot of our defense prospects, certainly the ones in Charlotte.

Another d prospect that I think has a decent chance of becoming more than a depth piece is Kinnunen. He's having a really good year, although he is 24.

Like I said, I agree with your general premise about Nause and the reason I brought up Deni wasn’t to compare them head to head as much as to say how poorly I could guess what ended up happening. Seems like there are just about sure fire prospects in the minors, there are just about sure fire duds, and then there are the grey zone guys…. Where my rating history at least isn’t any good….

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Like I said, I agree with your general premise about Nause and the reason I brought up Deni wasn’t to compare them head to head as much as to say how poorly I could guess what ended up happening. Seems like there are just about sure fire prospects in the minors, there are just about sure fire duds, and then there are the grey zone guys…. Where my rating history at least isn’t any good….
Of course you never really know for sure, that's why you need to acquire a lot of prospects. Out of Nause, Benning, Kiersted, Kinnunen, Alscher, Jansson, Puutio, Uens , Coughlin, Wikman, and Lukashevich, I'm confident we will get at least a couple solid contributors. We do need to add one more solid prospect to the group, not gonna be easy though with no 2nd this year and next year's 2nd likely to be traded by then.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I thought I remember something about a high ankle sprain at the start of the season before it even began.
I can't find an article on it. But it's a lot harder to find stuff in the minors, then the pros.
I believe between both leagues he's only played in 15 games so far this year.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

I thought I remember something about a high ankle sprain at the start of the season before it even began.
I can't find an article on it. But it's a lot harder to find stuff in the minors, then the pros.
You were right, The injury was last season.

Really good article here about him. He actually almost played in the WHL.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It would make sense then ...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You were right, The injury was last season.

Really good article here about him. He actually almost played in the WHL.
Nice article. He seems like a real down to Earth kid. In video interviews he seems the same way. He just loves playing hockey, all the time.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How does balinskis look in the AHL? Could he be a solid bottom pairing guy in Florida next year?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
1. Mackie Samoskevich (rd 1, '21)
2. Gracyn Sawchyn (rd 2, '23)
3. Justin Sourdif (rd 3, '20)
4. Ludvig Jansson (rd 4, '22)
5. Marek Alscher (rd 3, '22)
6. Mike Benning (rd 4, '20)
7. Jack Devine (rd 7, '22)
8. Josh Davies (rd 6, '22)
9. Evan Nause (rd 2, '21)
10. Sandis Vilmanis (rd 5, '22)
11. Olof Glifford (rd 5, '23)

Jansson is averaging 7:34 minutes of ice time with two assists in 42 SHL games with Lulea.

Was his big numbers in last year's WJC a bit of a mirage or is there talent worth signing him ?

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Jansson is averaging 7:34 minutes of ice time with two assists in 42 SHL games with Lulea.

Was his big numbers in last year's WJC a bit of a mirage or is there talent worth signing him ?
This is his first season in the SHL playing with the big boys.
He isn't going to ever put up a lot of points he is more a mobility defenseman. He is average height and build so nothing special there.

If the scouts get a sense that he is willing to come over to North America in a couple seasons I don't see why you wouldn't sign him. Good news is they still have one more season with his draft rights to see what they are working with.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I've been keeping an eye on him all season but haven't watched highlights, but has Knight actually been struggle bussing it this year? I know he was out of action for a while and just not playing, but not sure what could be going on at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad