Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He's made a few mistakes but we still have all our futures. That is where the mistake would have been. Hanifin wasn't necessarily the end all be all. I don't know if we are gonna win it all this year but we are at least going to keep the window open a bit longer
A 2nd or 3rd round pick, a '26 1st, Perbix let's say(or Crozier maybe), and perhaps another B prospect may have been enough. Neither of those picks helps Tampa at all, either this year or for at least, being very generous, 3 or 4 more years. The odds that either end up being as good or better than a player of Hanifin's ability are also slim. Regardless of whether they end up doing anything this season, guaranteeing that your defense is well positioned for the rest of the core group's window would have been a.big win for the team. JBB instead chose to gamble that Hanifin will sign in July. If Hanifin does hold true to what was being reported and he wants Tampa, great, JBB made a great calculated risk and saved a coue picks/players. If not, it's arguably his worst move as a GM to not have e sealed the deal for a top pairing dman who wanted to play for you and reportedly had already agreed on an extension for 8 years.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I disagree. While Duclair and Dumba are okay, especially if Duclair re-signs, if Hanifin stays in Vegas then JBB failed almost as bad as the Jeannot trade, maybe even worse. The fact that he wanted to play in Tampa, and that an extension was seemingly done, makes JBB's unwillingness to pay what was needed a terrible move if he extends elsewhere. The fact that he only ended up netting Calgary what amounted to arguably weaker or equal pieces to what Tampa could have paid is even more bewildering. JBB has paid the assets needed.every rime, but now, when a top pairing dman wants to come to your team by all accounts, that 1st round pick 3 drafts away, surplus roster dman and an additional pick was just too much this time around....

The assets we gave up for Jeannot would've been pretty nice to have for Hanifin. It's why it's so important to recognize and acknowledge the actual quality of your team when going after trades. The Jeannot trade was kind of an "all-in" trade, but we played so poorly last season for huge stretches it was pretty obvious we weren't the same team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like we are a few losses away from calling some prospects up to get a taste. It doesn't feel like the team has much faith right now.

Reactions: These Are The Days

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I feel like we are a few losses away from calling some prospects up to get a taste. It doesn't feel like the team has much faith right now.
We'll see how they react to the trades. Not saying it's gonna turn us around, but sometimes it's a spark.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Is he playing? Can't be worse than Sheary.
1709978806422.png

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Good deadline for BriseBois. Made the team better while losing nothing of consequence. That's what any competent GM would do with a team that remains in the hunt.

Thompson couldn't separate himself from his immediate competition in this organization, it is f***ing laughable that anybody is upset with that trade. He's behind Raddysh, Perbix, Cernak, and now Dumba on RHD and didn't outperform other young d-men like Crozier or Lilleberg during the season. He might not even be ahead of Carlile on the overall D depth.

Also, the likelihood of that 3rd rounder turning into an impactful NHL player (or becoming as good as Duclair) is quite low, and years away even if you hit it...so the complaints here aren't even practical with regards to the future.

Then you get Dumba for basically nothing and actually gain a pick this year in the process. Experienced d-man who can bring some bite and knows what it's like to play hard minutes.

There is seriously no good reason to have a problem with our deadline. Added 2 legit, proven NHLers for a couple mid-tier assets at best. If you have a problem with that, there is truly something missing upstairs.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wish that, when the NCAA season is over, we go and sign Collin Graf.
Graf will be in very high demand, and he's from Massachusetts, so Boston may have an edge.

RHD Drew Bavaro is from Bradenton, so we might have the edge there.

edit: also look for LHD Jacob Bengtsson from BC, and G Ludvig Persson from UND. They attended Bolts dev camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Wish that, when the NCAA season is over, we go and sign Collin Graf.
We already know he's clutch at Amalie, game tying goal in the Frozen Four Final against Minnesota

Good deadline for BriseBois. Made the team better while losing nothing of consequence. That's what any competent GM would do with a team that remains in the hunt.

Thompson couldn't separate himself from his immediate competition in this organization, it is f***ing laughable that anybody is upset with that trade. He's behind Raddysh, Perbix, Cernak, and now Dumba on RHD and didn't outperform other young d-men like Crozier or Lilleberg during the season. He might not even be ahead of Carlile on the overall D depth.

Also, the likelihood of that 3rd rounder turning into an impactful NHL player (or becoming as good as Duclair) is quite low, and years away even if you hit it...so the complaints here aren't even practical with regards to the future.

Then you get Dumba for basically nothing and actually gain a pick this year in the process. Experienced d-man who can bring some bite and knows what it's like to play hard minutes.

There is seriously no good reason to have a problem with our deadline. Added 2 legit, proven NHLers for a couple mid-tier assets at best. If you have a problem with that, there is truly something missing upstairs.
My issue is that Perbix has regressed significantly, can't skate backwards, slow as f***, slow to pivot, has Sergachev-itis where he passes the puck to nowhere that leads to dangerous chances for the opponent.

Would have preferred to dump Perbix as Thompson has a higher ceiling IMHO.

Reactions: Tampa22

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

The problem is not what WE did. It's what everyone else did. In a vacuum, we had 2 MEH moves. Now, compare/contrast that to the rest of the league? Rank our TDL compared to the others that made moves. That's my problem. Sorry if you think I am missing something upstairs(another dumb insult).

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

The issue is her overpaid for a 4th line player Jeannot last year and we didn't have the assets to get a real top2 defenseman and multiple real top 6 forwards such as taresenko and Martha.
We could have signed duclair for free instead of sheary 2million and jeannot 2.6 million. Dumba trade is fine. Nothing lost at worse he is slightly better than de Hann or lillieberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
There seems to be some confusion regarding how much money LV has on the books next year. Apparently there someone else thst could be in LTIR next year, and people can't figure this out.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
The problem is not what WE did. It's what everyone else did. In a vacuum, we had 2 MEH moves. Now, compare/contrast that to the rest of the league? Rank our TDL compared to the others that made moves. That's my problem. Sorry if you think I am missing something upstairs(another dumb insult).
IMO it doesn't really makes sense to compare what we did this TDL and what other top teams did. This is obviously not a season we can go far in the playoffs. We are playing like a bottom feeder, but Kucherov and Hagel kept us afloat most of the season.

Duclair came at a decent cost, but I like the idea of testing him out and see if we got something there. In the end he's been playing on a god-awful Sharks team this season, and still he scored one less goal than Stamkos 5v5 this season (Duclair 11 in 56, Stamkos 12 in 61...). He'll have time to show if he's worth a contract for the next couple of season. If he proves his worth, we can sign him to something similar to what we signed Sheary for (while sending Sheary somewhere else this offseason). If we replace Sheary with Duclair in terms of AAV and production, it'd be a big upgrade for next season.

Dumba was basically a freebie, and that's a masterful move by JBB honestly. We got a 7th rounder of this year's draft while giving away a 5th in the 2027th draft. Dumba will be able to play a more offensive role on our roster I'd imagine (in ARI he was behind Durzi and Moser and he was being used as a shutdown guy, which is obviously not his role). Same thing I said about Duclair applies to Dumba: test the guy out, see if he gels and if he's got a positive impact for the team and eventually try to re-sign him on a cheapish deal (way less than what he earns right now) for the next season.

Then just wait and pray Hanifin doesn't sign an extension with Vegas but comes to us in FA.

This isn't our year, re-tool and try again next season with
1) hungrier players
2) better depth
3) better Dcore
4) hopefully a goalie that doesn't let in 4 goals a game

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
IMO it doesn't really makes sense to compare what we did this TDL and what other top teams did. This is obviously not a season we can go far in the playoffs. We are playing like a bottom feeder, but Kucherov and Hagel kept us afloat most of the season.

Duclair came at a decent cost, but I like the idea of testing him out and see if we got something there. In the end he's been playing on a god-awful Sharks team this season, and still he scored one less goal than Stamkos 5v5 this season (Duclair 11 in 56, Stamkos 12 in 61...). He'll have time to show if he's worth a contract for the next couple of season. If he proves his worth, we can sign him to something similar to what we signed Sheary for (while sending Sheary somewhere else this offseason). If we replace Sheary with Duclair in terms of AAV and production, it'd be a big upgrade for next season.

Dumba was basically a freebie, and that's a masterful move by JBB honestly. We got a 7th rounder of this year's draft while giving away a 5th in the 2027th draft. Dumba will be able to play a more offensive role on our roster I'd imagine (in ARI he was behind Durzi and Moser and he was being used as a shutdown guy, which is obviously not his role). Same thing I said about Duclair applies to Dumba: test the guy out, see if he gels and if he's got a positive impact for the team and eventually try to re-sign him on a cheapish deal (way less than what he earns right now) for the next season.

Then just wait and pray Hanifin doesn't sign an extension with Vegas but comes to us in FA.

This isn't our year, re-tool and try again next season with
1) hungrier players
2) better depth
3) better Dcore
4) hopefully a goalie that doesn't lets in 4 goals a game
You're adding in a qualifier based on this year is a bust. I'm not sure everyone is on the same page. If you are selling that these are mini tryouts for the future? I can get on board with that. But I bet if you ask some other posters they would tell you otherwise. Vegas gave up a lot to just let Hanafin walk and they can offer the extra year. Hanafin is a pipe dream. We did nothing with Serge's LTIR space. We did not weaponize it all. That's on JBB. Only my humble opinion, but this TDL was another failure. We'll see.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
You're adding in a qualifier based on this year is a bust. I'm not sure everyone is on the same page. If you are selling that these are mini tryouts for the future? I can get on board with that. But I bet if you ask some other posters they would tell you otherwise. Vegas gave up a lot to just let Hanafin walk and they can offer the extra year. Hanafin is a pipe dream. We did nothing with Serge's LTIR space. We did not weaponize it all. That's on JBB. Only my humble opinion, but this TDL was another failure. We'll see.
I'm gonna say the mass majority of posters on here assume these are low risk, tryout type moves thst can also help us a bit this year. That is essentially what JBB said in his presser yesterday.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
They all say the right thing and a lot of them certainly have to look in the mirror themselves but the bottom line is if you go into every game doubting that your goalie can get to even 10 SOG without giving up one (or more) it's kinda tough to have faith.

Reactions: aylib
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad