Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
That Hagel trade saved our ass. If we can retain Duclair, we have seven guys capable of hitting 20 goals in the lineup.

We need a legit top 4 defenseman and I think we extend this window for a few more years. Gonna take hitting on some bottom 6 targets better than Sheary though.
No real room for a true top 4 dman uf Stamkos and Duclair are kept. Best.case is they clear out both Sheary and Perbix, then after (hopefully) getting Stamkos and Duclair to sign reasonable extensions and fill in 3 other spots with min or close to min level ufa's/promotions, they'll have maybe 3 million left to sign an upgrade on defense. I'm sure they can find a solid #5 type guy in that range, but not a true top 4 guy imo.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Thought I'd do the GDT since @TheDaysOf 04 is a little behind.

Lightning vs Columbus
7pm est
TV channel (flip through until you find it)
*insert cool graphics*

Duclair - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - maybe Cirelli - Stamkos
Two guys with Paul
Two guys with Glendening

Hedman - Raddysh
Someone with Cernak
Two guys

Vasy

Columbus

Boone Jenner and 17 other guys I don't know
A goalie

Stats:
Nikita Kucherov 136pts
Point has like 85
Stamkos maybe 36 goals?
Hedman ppg
Nobody gives a shit about anyone else tbh

Last game quotes:
"Yeah, what can we say? We tried. We played like dog shit, let Malkin run riot for two periods and played one period. Ended up getting goalie'd in the end" - Jon Cooper

"I got three points." - Nikita Kucherov

"I liked our effort in the third. We did some things right, some things wrong. That's hockey. We need to be better heading down the stretch. If not, then it's gonna be a short postseason and I'm outta this bitch." - Stamkos, probably

Remaining schedule:
Like 4 games, one against Toronto. Then playoffs.

Alright boys!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Alright, no Hanafin means 0 excuse to not sign Stamkos for w.e at this point.

Edit: 7.3 X 8 isn't too bad. I think JBB could have done that. It's not ideal having so much money locked on on D, but he would have really helped. Team is playing well right now though. Although the last 2 games haven't been great defensively

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Hanifin is good but this might be like missing out on Karlsson awhile back. Remember that was such the rage back then and Lightning had to have him to get over hump. Might be one of the non-moves that allowed back-to-back "Cups. Who truly knows but things worked out....

Plus, we rather Sergachev be worry free of possible draft trade, especially after an injury like he suffered. Serg is like family, and is Lightning through and through. One won't replaced that so easily as some think.... Serg has earned to be around people/team who care about him during such rehabilitation. To drop him for some player who's never played here would be so wrong, and Lightning are playing already pushing it with treatment of existing player karma. Doing people/players right is more important than running towards new shining toy.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Hanifin is good but this might be like missing out on Karlsson awhile back. Remember that was such the rage back then and Lightning had to have him to get over hump. Might be one of the non-moves that allowed back-to-back "Cups. Who truly knows but things worked out....

Plus, we rather Sergachev be worry free of possible draft trade, especially after an injury like he suffered. Serg is like family, and is Lightning through and through. One won't replaced that so easily as some think.... Serg has earned to be around people/team who care about him during such rehabilitation. To drop him for some player who's never played here would be so wrong, and Lightning are playing already pushing it with treatment of existing player karma. Doing people/players right is more important than running towards new shining toy.
At this point, I don't think he'd be the one moved. If they were after Hanifin and lower end forwards on the market, they probably want to get back to 3 strong LD options. Agree to disagree among the board here of whether that's the logical way forward, but it seems like they were keen on adding another high end LD to two we already have. Thus, I don't think he's being considered for a trade - at all.

Reactions: flying squirrel

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
We could mitigate defensive gaffes by signing a better 3LD this summer. Lilleberg is a good stop gap, but he's not likely the shutdown guy that eclipses keeping Sergachev or Hedman on the bench so their duties won't change. Cole helped, McDonagh was obviously golden at it. We don't have that with CDH, Fleury and Lilleberg though we desperately need it. Our right side is sufficient if Perbix could stay on the bottom pairing, but that left 2A/2B they seem to love is a problem right now. Dumba is not the solution.

If we could somehow move a few dead pieces that provide nothing here, let Dumba walk, maybe trade Perbix and bring up Crozier, resign Stamkos and Duke, that's a win but I'm sure they'll look to improve that left side somehow.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
We could mitigate defensive gaffes by signing a better 3LD this summer. Lilleberg is a good stop gap, but he's not likely the shutdown guy that eclipses keeping Sergachev or Hedman on the bench so their duties won't change. Cole helped, McDonagh was obviously golden at it. We don't have that with CDH, Fleury and Lilleberg though we desperately need it. Our right side is sufficient if Perbix could stay on the bottom pairing, but that left 2A/2B they seem to love is a problem right now. Dumba is not the solution.

If we could somehow move a few dead pieces that provide nothing here, let Dumba walk, maybe trade Perbix and bring up Crozier, resign Stamkos and Duke, that's a win but I'm sure they'll look to improve that left side somehow.
Chatfield out of Carolina would be a solid add for 3RD with upside, and is a player that Tampa will likely be able to afford if he reaches ufa. Most of the other dmen are likely too expensive (Skjei, Pesce, Montour, Tanev, Walker, Roy etc). There's also players like Hakaanpa, Kulikov, and Lyubushkin, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade they are over Perbix/Dumba. On the left, maybe Dillon from the Jets if he reaches ufa. He's a little older at 33, but he may be able to fit cost wise and he'd be a very solid 3LD.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thought I'd do the GDT since @TheDaysOf 04 is a little behind.

Lightning vs Columbus
7pm est
TV channel (flip through until you find it)
*insert cool graphics*

Duclair - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - maybe Cirelli - Stamkos
Two guys with Paul
Two guys with Glendening

Hedman - Raddysh
Someone with Cernak
Two guys

Vasy

Columbus

Boone Jenner and 17 other guys I don't know
A goalie

Stats:
Nikita Kucherov 136pts
Point has like 85
Stamkos maybe 36 goals?
Hedman ppg
Nobody gives a shit about anyone else tbh

Last game quotes:
"Yeah, what can we say? We tried. We played like dog shit, let Malkin run riot for two periods and played one period. Ended up getting goalie'd in the end" - Jon Cooper

"I got three points." - Nikita Kucherov

"I liked our effort in the third. We did some things right, some things wrong. That's hockey. We need to be better heading down the stretch. If not, then it's gonna be a short postseason and I'm outta this bitch." - Stamkos, probably

Remaining schedule:
Like 4 games, one against Toronto. Then playoffs.

Alright boys!
Both the brilliance and accuracy of this cannot be overstated.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wow he got like 1.2 million per year less then serg

That depends how much of a money bag Stamkos wants
Yeah, with Hanifin out of the equation for good, we can *probably* make Stamkos, Duclair and Dumba work. We're probably gonna have to cut our losses on Jeannot and Sheary and just take the "L" with grace

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
With the Wings all for sure being out of the playoffs, time to unretire my Kucherov jersey and yell loudly at my TV screen everytime Hagel scores in the final seconds to win games.

Can anyone give me a run down on the season the Lightning have had? This is the first year in 4 years I haven't been exclusively watching TBL games since the Wings were semi-competitive this year (still made it to five Lightning games this year, though).

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad