Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Chad Larose?!??
Sweet God yes. ESPECIALLY Larose. Imagine a player who isn't special but turns into a killer everytime he plays us. That's Chad Larose. A 180 career point "just a guy" who decides to shoot 17% score 16 goals, 8 assists and 24 points in 47 games and its basically double on his next highest opponent. It isn't great but he was such a pain in the dick. You might as well consider adding Martin Necas to it too if he doesn't chill. 20 games, 16 points, shoots at a 17.5% clip. He is almost at "f*** that guy" territory but not juuussstttt yet.

You can count Ovechkin and Kovalchuk too if you want but you KNEW they were getting them some against every night against everyone else. And whatever ass whooping they were dishing out wasn't special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Chad Larose?!??
Yes.
Sweet God yes. ESPECIALLY Larose. Imagine a player who isn't special but turns into a killer everytime he plays us. That's Chad Larose. A 180 career point "just a guy" who decides to shoot 17% score 16 goals, 8 assists and 24 points in 47 games and its basically double on his next highest opponent. It isn't great but he was such a pain in the dick. You might as well consider adding Martin Necas to it too if he doesn't chill. 20 games, 16 points, shoots at a 17.5% clip. He is almost at "f*** that guy" territory but not juuussstttt yet.

You can count Ovechkin and Kovalchuk too if you want but you KNEW they were getting them some against every night against everyone else. And whatever ass whooping they were dishing out wasn't special.
Haha, exactly.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I was taking a look at roster configurations for next season, and the more I build a lineup for next year, the more it becomes clear that Hanifin probably doesn't fit. With the way the team looks now with Duclair, keeping him and Stamkos, provided Stamkos is willing to take in the 5-6 aav range, seems like the best path forward. Signing Hanifin in the 6.5-6.75 range may allow them to keep Duclair, but not Stamkos, while also having very little additional space to address the big hole left by Stamkos. They can keep Stamkos and Duclair, get rid of Sheary and perhaps Perbix, and sign a dman in the 2.5-3 range. They could also keep Perbix, and then after replacing g Sheary with a call up and re-signing Chaffee and hopefully, Motte, have 1.5-2 to allocate to either a depth F or dman.

They could also move on from Jeannot and them have 4-4.5 million for two spots, but I have doubts they are moving on from Jeannot after the season. While it would've been great to have Hanifin, signing him leads to significant weaknesses in the forward group next year imo, and the team can still find a solid lower end 2nd pairing/higher end 3rd pairing dman with the room they'll likely have. I guess if Stamkos chooses the bag then they could sign Hanifin for what he'd likely cost, but then if they want a competent middle 6 forward with upside they'd have to move both Sheary and Jeannot to give them max space to acquire one in ufa(this would amount to 3-3.5 max, after factoring in Hanifin, Duclair, Chaffee and Motte, if they keep him). I guess it is an option, but the offense looks much weaker moving ahead in that scenario with the imbalance in spending on the blueline.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Serge and cirelli kinda rule and all of you are pretty bad posters. Quote this if you agree

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I was taking a look at roster configurations for next season, and the more I build a lineup for next year, the more it becomes clear that Hanifin probably doesn't fit. With the way the team looks now with Duclair, keeping him and Stamkos, provided Stamkos is willing to take in the 5-6 aav range, seems like the best path forward. Signing Hanifin in the 6.5-6.75 range may allow them to keep Duclair, but not Stamkos, while also having very little additional space to address the big hole left by Stamkos. They can keep Stamkos and Duclair, get rid of Sheary and perhaps Perbix, and sign a dman in the 2.5-3 range. They could also keep Perbix, and then after replacing g Sheary with a call up and re-signing Chaffee and hopefully, Motte, have 1.5-2 to allocate to either a depth F or dman.

They could also move on from Jeannot and them have 4-4.5 million for two spots, but I have doubts they are moving on from Jeannot after the season. While it would've been great to have Hanifin, signing him leads to significant weaknesses in the forward group next year imo, and the team can still find a solid lower end 2nd pairing/higher end 3rd pairing dman with the room they'll likely have. I guess if Stamkos chooses the bag then they could sign Hanifin for what he'd likely cost, but then if they want a competent middle 6 forward with upside they'd have to move both Sheary and Jeannot to give them max space to acquire one in ufa(this would amount to 3-3.5 max, after factoring in Hanifin, Duclair, Chaffee and Motte, if they keep him). I guess it is an option, but the offense looks much weaker moving ahead in that scenario with the imbalance in spending on the blueline.

The big question is how much Duclair will be asking for and getting from us.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The big question is how much Duclair will be asking for and getting from us.
Given the space they have and what spots they have to fill, anything over 4 aav for Duclair is tricky. Something in the 3.5 range would be better, but the team can probabaly make something around 4 work.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Given the space they have and what spots they have to fill, anything over 4 aav for Duclair is tricky. Something in the 3.5 range would be better, but the team can probabaly make something around 4 work.
He's probably pricing himself off the team. Either that or he's forcing us to make hard af decisions on other players.

Thing about Duclair is he's been so effective 5v5.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
There's a guy named Conor Sheary that alleviates some cap space.
But not much. Even if they can move out his entire hit, and factoring in a 800kish replacement, it only opens up ~1.2 million additional. It would give the team ~12.9 to sign Stamkos, Duclair, 2 additional forwards(Chaffee and Motte perhaps), and one dman. Chaffee plus a player like Motte/a promotion from Syracuse/cheap ufa should cost 1.7-2 million, so that leaves ~11 million for Stamkos, Duclair and hopefully, something to add on defense. Stamkos in the 5-5.5 and Duclair in the 4 range leaves Tampa with 1.5-2 million to add a depth dman. The most they could allocate to Stamkos/Duclair and still have a min aav 7th dman would be 10-10.5 between them. Now if Jeannot is also moved and replaced with a low cost forward, that opens up an additional 1.5-1.8 million, but that seems less likely.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I genuinely think we beat Boston with as much ease as we have before. Any other of the potential first round opponents we're clear underdogs.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad