2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Friedman and Marek brought up an interesting idea on their podcast today. Apparently, Paul Maurice, when he was with the Jets, brought in a referee as a consultant one offseason to help with his team’s discipline issues. I don’t have enough info to be able to tell if that was successful or not, but it seems like it could be helpful for us.
I fear that while nobody's going to take getting invited to Winnipeg as bribing, taking the refs to Disneyland might be another story. Jokes aside, they have to figure out ways to get them to play the right way, it's way too undisciplined.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Friedman and Marek brought up an interesting idea on their podcast today. Apparently, Paul Maurice, when he was with the Jets, brought in a referee as a consultant one offseason to help with his team’s discipline issues. I don’t have enough info to be able to tell if that was successful or not, but it seems like it could be helpful for us.
I thought the same thing when I heard it this morning, I'm willing to try anything to lower the amount of penalties we take. That and get a better medical/conditioning staff to hopefully lessen injuries.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
This has happened in other sports too. What the teams do is make the ref feel like part of the team and invite them to functions etc as well. In the AFL teams that have done this get significantly more preferential treatment than teams that havent.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
This has happened in other sports too. What the teams do is make the ref feel like part of the team and invite them to functions etc as well. In the AFL teams that have done this get significantly more preferential treatment than teams that havent.
Are you implying that they go out and hire a current NHL ref? Because I'm sure that is 100% taboo. I'm sure there are plenty of retired NHL refs they could hire, but there's no way it could be a current NHL ref.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Are you implying that they go out and hire a current NHL ref? Because I'm sure that is 100% taboo. I'm sure there are plenty of retired NHL refs they could hire, but there's no way it could be a current NHL ref.
It would depend on their contracts but you could always invite them around for an unpaid day so they can experience what an NHL team is like too. Workplace education surely isnt banned

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It would depend on their contracts but you could always invite them around for an unpaid day so they can experience what an NHL team is like too. Workplace education surely isnt banned
I strongly doubt any contact between current officials and any team would be allowed. Just the appearance of potential impropriety would be a terrible look for the league. Keep in mind officials are already 100% forbidden from speaking to the media anytime anywhere.

They could possibly get somebody who works in the league office (relative to officiating) to come speak with the team. But that would be a league employee, not a current on ice official.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Just hire a former ref as an assistant coach... Make them in charge of talking to players about penalties and talking to refs when they come to the bench. Being a former ref hopefully would get better explanations and maybe gets the team good will? Not sure if other teams have done it, though.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Just hire a former ref as an assistant coach... Make them in charge of talking to players about penalties and talking to refs when they come to the bench. Being a former ref hopefully would get better explanations and maybe gets the team good will? Not sure if other teams have done it, though.
Hire Kozari-just to keep him from officiating any more Duck games.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Nobody I sit with thinks this team is a better ticket than it was last year.

This years team - when reasonably healthy - has been a much better ticket than last year. Last year was historically bad in the puck possession and shots surrendered category. I feel like you're forgetting how brutal it was to watch. And last year's defensive system was just brutal to watch - so many open cross ice passes for tap in goals.

This year, the team looked much better to start. There was significant improvement in system and talent level. Injuries and then the recent trades have changed that - the current team is no doubt tough to watch. I'd say about the same as last year.

Not excusing the roster deficiencies or other issues. But I feel things are better (marginally).

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This years team - when reasonably healthy - has been a much better ticket than last year. Last year was historically bad in the puck possession and shots surrendered category. I feel like you're forgetting how brutal it was to watch. And last year's defensive system was just brutal to watch - so many open cross ice passes for tap in goals.

This year, the team looked much better to start. There was significant improvement in system and talent level. Injuries and then the recent trades have changed that - the current team is no doubt touch to watch. I'd say about the same as last year.

Not excusing the roster deficiencies or other issues. But I feel things are better (marginally).

You're correct that there was a significant improvement in talent level on this year's team.

• Added at forward: C Carlsson, F Killorn, Johnston, and McTavish's 2nd season in the NHL
  • Added at defense: RD Gudas, RD Lyubushkin, LD Mintyukov, LD/RD LaCombe, RD Luneau, healthy LD Vaak, and LD/RD Zellweger

The hot start was unsustainable due to the fact we have several comeback wins. We won five out of the six games due to comebacks. The comeback wins were attributed to individual players than the system b/c outside of those comeback wins during the 6-game win streak, the team has sucked on the ice. Here's proof Cronin's early wins wasn't a sustainable way of generating points.

Ducks2023-24Cronin
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
70​
24​
43​
3​
51​
0.364​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 49
24​
7​
15​
2​
16​
0.333​
50 to 62
13​
6​
6​
1​
13​
0.500​
62 to 69 TDL
8​
1​
7​
0​
2​
0.125​

Last year, we had no defense to speak of and a lack of talent depth. And just like this year, last year's team was also plagued with injuries. Yet, a majority on this board were upset because it took game 20 to win a game in regulation, despite notching 5 wins before the regulation win. And then upset when we started giving up more shots on goals despite racking points. The way Eakins' team played, it was a sustainable way of playing. The increase in shots against was done on purpose to increase point production. Here's proof.

Ducks2022-23Eakins
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
70​
23​
37​
10​
56​
0.400​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
0.417​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
0.500​
62 to 69 TDL
9​
3​
3​
3​
9​
0.500​

Ducks 2022-23Shots Metric
Game SetSFSASD
Total
28.4​
39.1​
-10.7​
1 to 25
30.24​
37.8​
-7.6​
26 to 49
28.67​
40.13​
-11.5​
50 to 61
26.55​
43.09​
-16.5​
62 to 82 TDL
25.95​
37.67​
-11.7​

============
1-goal games
============

Verbeek said at the Migration that he needs more scoring from his bottom-6 in order to win more 1-goal games. That's an odd thing to say instead of having a better PP production, a better PP scheme, taking fewer penalties, or better PK scheme. Let's compared 1-goal productions at the 63-game mark b/c that's when Verbeek made the comment about 1-goal games.

Ducks 2022-231-goalgamesEakins
Type of GamesGamesWLOTLPtsPoint Share
Game 1 to 63632134850
39.7%​
1-goal games25143836
72.0%​
Non 1-g games38731014
18.4%​

Ducks 2023-241-goalgamesCronin
Type of GamesGamesWLOTLPtsPoint Share
Game 1 to 63
63​
23​
37​
3​
49​
38.9%​
1-goal games
27​
13​
11​
3​
29​
53.7%​
Non 1-g games
36​
10​
26​
0​
20​
27.8%​

How can a Cronin team with more talent and a better scheme suck worse at 1-goal games than an Eakins' team last year? Logically, that doesn't make any sense at all. And how is it that an Eakins led squad has one more point than Cronin's team at the 63-game mark?

===============
Offense shutout
===============

• Offense shutout before TDL
    • Last year, Eakins = 4
    • This year, Cronin = 6

• Offense shutout after TDL
    • Last year, Eakins = 1
    • This year, Cronin = 3, with 12 more games to go

I think Cronin's offensive system sucks worse than Eakins' system.

Why people "feel" this year's club is better when the metrics show it's taken steps backwards.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why people "feel" this year's club is better when the metrics show it's taken steps backwards.
The healthy roster is clearly better, this team hasn't been healthy at any point this year though really. Hard for players to develop, both individually and develop chemistry with their linemates when players are coming in and out of the lineup constantly. And then when you factor in they are learning the systems of a new coach as well, it's really not surprising

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Except the metrics don't show that at all. Our goal differential at this point last year was -100, we're currently at -77. Our ES Corsi has also improved (47.1% vs 43.2%). xGA dropped from 233 (!!) last year to 151.3, which is an absolutely absurd improvement. We went from dead last to around middle-of-the-pack in that regard.

To be clear, our metrics aren't good but they are certainly not worse. The last 17 games have been -33 which is putrid. If the last 12 games are like that then maybe there is an argument to be made here, but this is a better team - as painful as it has been to watch.

Reactions: JAHV and SmokeyDuck

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

This year, the team looked much better to start. There was significant improvement in system and talent level. Injuries and then the recent trades have changed that - the current team is no doubt tough to watch. I'd say about the same as last year.

I still absolutely hate man on man D. We just don't have the players for it.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
. He mentioned he talked to the pk coach Thomas about he wanted to change things up because the pk has been bad. But when he's asked about the pp. He doesn't care mention anything negative about newel brown. What the fk does newel brown on PV?

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The healthy roster is clearly better, this team hasn't been healthy at any point this year though really. Hard for players to develop, both individually and develop chemistry with their linemates when players are coming in and out of the lineup constantly. And then when you factor in they are learning the systems of a new coach as well, it's really not surprising

The roster is clearly better, but you can't use the injury excuse because last year's team was also dealt with the injury bug. The difference is that this year's club had more talent depth to absorb the injuries compared to last year.

The excuse of learning the systems of a new coach is not valid as we've seen the team not get better as the season went. Eakins had FA's Strome and Vatrano along with rookie McTavish and waiver pick up Leason at forward new to the org. On defense, Verbeek gave Eakins new to the org players like Klingberg, Kulikov, White, and Beaulieu. Eakins' team got better as the season went until the TDL played out. And Eakins' team didn't have the benefit of a hot PP nor a strong PK to start the season like Cronin did.

2022-23 Injury chart for the season
Injury Viz, 2022-23 (82 games).png

2023-24 injury chart after 63 games.
Injury Viz, Man Game lost (63 games) 2023-24.png

Eakins did more with far less talent.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Except the metrics don't show that at all. Our goal differential at this point last year was -100, we're currently at -77. Our ES Corsi has also improved (47.1% vs 43.2%). xGA dropped from 233 (!!) last year to 151.3, which is an absolutely absurd improvement. We went from dead last to around middle-of-the-pack in that regard.

To be clear, our metrics aren't good but they are certainly not worse. The last 17 games have been -33 which is putrid. If the last 12 games are like that then maybe there is an argument to be made here, but this is a better team - as painful as it has been to watch.
Yep! The team is absolutely better this year and when healthy, much more fun to watch. Problem is, they haven’t been really healthy very often. Last years team was dismal. Historically bad.

Reactions: duckpuck and JAHV

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

With the improvements you cite, did it reflect in improved points production? No. Who cares if we're -100 or -77 goal differential when our points are identical?!

• After 61 games (I use 61 games b/c that's last game game before the 2022-23 TDL).
    • Last year's record: 20-34-7 (47 pts)
    • This year's record: 22-36-3 (47 pts)

• PK
    • Last year, all 82 games
      • TSH = 280 (5th most in NHL)
      • PK GA = 78 goals against (2nd most in NHL)
    • This year, with 11 games left to play
      • TSH = 284 (most in NHL)
      • PK GA = 75 goals against (most in NHL)

This year's team doesn't know how to generate more points with the mass added talents and talent depth.

What is hilarious is when Eakins was given a talented roster, then his team was in a playoff position in 2021-22. Why that fact is often excluded probably lends itself to selected narratives. Verbeek took over during All-Star break, after 48 games have been played.

• 2021-22, after 48 games
    • record: 23-16-9 (55 pts)
    • GF = 141
    • GA = 137
    • GD = +4

That team had a vastly improved GD and a vastly productive point %. That 2021-22 team earned 55 points in only 48 games. We're hoping this year's team can get to 55 points this year as we have 52 points with 11 games left.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
With the improvements you cite, did it reflect in improved points production? No. Who cares if we're -100 or -77 goal differential when our points are identical?!

• After 61 games (I use 61 games b/c that's last game game before the 2022-23 TDL).
    • Last year's record: 20-34-7 (47 pts)
    • This year's record: 22-36-3 (47 pts)

• PK
    • Last year, all 82 games
      • TSH = 280 (5th most in NHL)
      • PK GA = 78 goals against (2nd most in NHL)
    • This year, with 11 games left to play
      • TSH = 284 (most in NHL)
      • PK GA = 75 goals against (most in NHL)

This year's team doesn't know how to generate more points with the mass added talents and talent depth.

What is hilarious is when Eakins was given a talented roster, then his team was in a playoff position in 2021-22. Why that fact is often excluded probably lends itself to selected narratives. Verbeek took over during All-Star break, after 48 games have been played.

• 2021-22, after 48 games
    • record: 23-16-9 (55 pts)
    • GF = 141
    • GA = 137
    • GD = +4

That team had a vastly improved GD and a vastly productive point %. That 2021-22 team earned 55 points in only 48 games. We're hoping this year's team can get to 55 points this year as we have 52 points with 11 games left.
Why? The Ducks traded their most consistent and healthy (man, it feels weird saying this) forward in Henrique and their biggest physical presence in front of the net, outside of Gudas who also has been out for a while, before the deadline. And that’s not taking into account Carrick who we all know is a heart and soul guy. The Ducks are better than last year.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why? The Ducks traded their most consistent and healthy (man, it feels weird saying this) forward in Henrique and their biggest physical presence in front of the net, outside of Gudas who also has been out for a while, before the deadline. And that’s not taking into account Carrick who we all know is a heart and soul guy. The Ducks are better than last year.
Henrique was injured and didn’t play last year between February 21st and April 4th, that’s not the reason.

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
I think this team is better than last year's team. Not that any NHL team is ever fully healthy, but this year the team has lost 3 of its top 4 forwards for large chunks of time. Drysdale is a wash, year over year.

That being said, I'm worried that Cronin is losing the guys in the locker room. The team no shows way too often. I know there's not much to play for, but the compete just isn't there a lot of nights even against teams that aren't much more talented than the Ducks. Getting blanked by Montreal (5-0), crushed by Chicago (7-2), and 4-0 to Seattle. I did like that they rebounded from the loss against Chicago to shut them out 4-0, but I'm not even pointing out all the blowouts to good teams.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Eakins got four years, I would give Cronin two. Horrible special teams need to be revamped. I'm not blaming it entirely on Brown and Thompson, the buck stops with the head coach. Personnel hasn't been used wisely, IMO. Far too many bad penalties are taken. The record would have been better if the offense hadn't been gutted by injuries, but I'm not giving Cronin a pass. He has a year to fix it if I was in charge.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Eakins got four years, I would give Cronin two. Horrible special teams need to be revamped. I'm not blaming it entirely on Brown and Thompson, the buck stops with the head coach. Personnel hasn't been used wisely, IMO. Far too many bad penalties are taken. The record would have been better if the offense hadn't been gutted by injuries, but I'm not giving Cronin a pass. He has a year to fix it if I was in charge.
Did he only sign a 2 year contract? Next season could be it if he did. There was a lot going against him this year (first year head coach, 2 key hold outs, tons of injuries, trading a key player for a guy that will play maybe 1 game this year, etc.) plus overcoming all the bad habits instilled by the previous coaching staff and the holdovers from that staff too. Hopefully Verbeek lets him clean house of any assistant coach(es) that he doesn't want and have his guys or better guys at least. I think Verbeek might give him one more after next year, but if they're still bottom of the league, that'll be it for him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Did he only sign a 2 year contract? Next season could be it if he did. There was a lot going against him this year (first year head coach, 2 key hold outs, tons of injuries, trading a key player for a guy that will play maybe 1 game this year, etc.) plus overcoming all the bad habits instilled by the previous coaching staff and the holdovers from that staff too. Hopefully Verbeek lets him clean house of any assistant coach(es) that he doesn't want and have his guys or better guys at least. I think Verbeek might give him one more after next year, but if they're still bottom of the league, that'll be it for him.

We actually don't know how long a contract Cronin signed. I think many of us wondered about it, but nothing came up. CapFriendly has term "unknown". (Source)

Aside from being a first time head coach, the injuries, players traded, holdouts, etc... all happen to other head coaches. Plus, Cronin's been an assistant head coach before. None of the situations that has happened to him hasn't happened to him before as an assistant coach in the NHL. Cronin isn't a spring chicken to the NHL or NHL coaching community. Also, Cronin's been a head coach at the NCAA, CHL, and AHL levels.

• Cronin: assistant coach in NHL
    • 1998-2003 with NYI
    • 2011-2014 with Toronto Maple Leafs
    • 2014-2018 with NYI

There maybe some bad habits under Eakins, but low energy compete level, high amounts of penalties, not good results in 1-goal games, and not getting shutout often are all new habits created under Cronin. The odd part is that Cronin is using the same man-defense, which means it should be easier to fix those mistakes, right? Nope.

As for assistant coaches, there was only one holdover in PP assistant coach Brown. PK/def. coach Thompson and Assistant goalie coach David Rook are new to the org.

I don't think Cronin's a good development coach, but I think if he's given a more veteran, laden roster that's talented, then that might fit his style.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad