2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Parsing Army’s coaching comments, I think he has a list in his mind if who he wants to hire. At top is probly Monty or Rod. I expect he maybe wants to talk to Carl’s but doesn’t know him as well and he isn’t currently at top. Perhaps a guy like Shaw even, but that seems less likely. Bannister is I think the guy if those don’t either become available or feel like right fit. When he described what he wants though, that isn’t q.
I agree Q wouldn’t be a great fit at this time and I hope he’s not the guy. Just found it curious that it was Strick that landed that interview. Like I said, I could easily be reading too much into it.

I get the same sense with coaching candidates. He said he’s whittled the list down a lot so I’d guess it’s really only 3-4 names at this point. I feel like they’re likely to go with a transitional guy and Bannister would fit that.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree Q wouldn’t be a great fit at this time and I hope he’s not the guy. Just found it curious that it was Strick that landed that interview. Like I said, I could easily be reading too much into it.

I get the same sense with coaching candidates. He said he’s whittled the list down a lot so I’d guess it’s really only 3-4 names at this point. I feel like they’re likely to go with a transitional guy and Bannister would fit that.
They probably already had a working connection, and he figured Strickland would give him a fair interview, which it pretty much was.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
They probably already had a working connection, and he figured Strickland would give him a fair interview, which it pretty much was.
Fair point. And I think it was more than a fair interview. It was a puff piece. Strick asked mostly questions that would allow Q to explain things in ways that helped him. He asked a couple of tough questions but didn’t really press or ask hard follow-ups.

Q knew what he was doing here. He went to a friendly environment. It’s not like he’d ever willingly want to talk to someone like Katie Strang or Rick Westhead. He’s not an idiot.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fair point. And I think it was more than a fair interview. It was a puff piece. Strick asked mostly questions that would allow Q to explain things in ways that helped him. He asked a couple of tough questions but didn’t really press or ask hard follow-ups.

Q knew what he was doing here. He went to a friendly environment. It’s not like he’d ever willingly want to talk to someone like Katie Strang or Rick Westhead. He’s not an idiot.
I agree, Strick was sort of in between fair and puff piece for me. And I don't think Q goes to Strick if Q never coached here. I don't think Q is the right fit here, I don't think we know everything of his involvement, and I'll let the NHL decide if he gets to coach again. And I don't think we are a job that he'd be that interested in. If he does come back, I'd expect a contender that hasn't gotten over the hump will get him.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I wouldn't want Q as the coach, I think he went the Sgt Schultz route of willful ignorance
people make mistakes all the time, instead of looking back and admitting he didn't do the right thing and showing contrition, he doubles down on the "its not my fault, I did nothing wrong" route
not interested

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I hope not but there had to have been quite a few journalists that would’ve liked to have interviewed Joel on this topic. Yet it went to Andy Strickland?? Perhaps I’m reading too much into it but I could see this being the Blues using Strick to test the waters to see what the reaction would be to such a hire. If so, I have no idea what conclusion they would’ve come to after that interview. Reaction here at least seemed pretty mixed.
The Cam and Strick podcast has become hockey's go-to place to try to rehabilitate your image after you botch it.

They are the podcast Babcock went on to dispute the first wave of criticism by Mike Commodore. His denial of events was immediately disputed by Commodore and then a wave of former players telling their own similar stories).

They are the podcast where Mitch Miller's agent gave his one and only interview to rehabilitate Miller's image. His version of events was immediately disputed by the original victim and one of the charities he claimed Miller worked with.

And now they are the podcast that had Quennville on to (once again) claim that he didn't know what was going on despite the investigation which make such a claim ludicrously hard to believe.

That was the podcast he chose to go on because the hosts are incapable or uninterested in pushing back when their guest says something that is directly refuted by publicly available facts. They ask questions allowing the guest to tell their version of events without being subject to scrutiny. Actual journalists have a pesky habit of pointing out lies or presenting facts that contradict the desired narrative, so they don't get picked for these interviews.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Cam and Strick podcast has become hockey's go-to place to try to rehabilitate your image after you botch it.

They are the podcast Babcock went on to dispute the first wave of criticism by Mike Commodore. His denial of events was immediately disputed by Commodore and then a wave of former players telling their own similar stories).

They are the podcast where Mitch Miller's agent gave his one and only interview to rehabilitate Miller's image. His version of events was immediately disputed by the original victim and one of the charities he claimed Miller worked with.

And now they are the podcast that had Quennville on to (once again) claim that he didn't know what was going on despite the investigation which make such a claim ludicrously hard to believe.

That was the podcast he chose to go on because the hosts are incapable or uninterested in pushing back when their guest says something that is directly refuted by publicly available facts. They ask questions allowing the guest to tell their version of events without being subject to scrutiny. Actual journalists have a pesky habit of pointing out lies or presenting facts that contradict the desired narrative, so they don't get picked for these interviews.
This is I think true, that guys go on this pod bc they know Strick won't go all Mike Wallace on them to make them look bad. Strick lets them tell their story. But Strick also I thought came across as more of an actual journalist than fanboy here.

He did a good job of generally asking relevant questions, prodding him to get more out, and largely giving him enough rope to hang himself. He gave Q chance to tell his side, but strick made honest effort to show the limits of Q's story without overtly trying to bury him. He gave him chance to acknowledge where he came up short, which Q basically didn't own up to. Q thought this would be puff piece and Strick I thought didn't allow that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I will not watch a single Blues game with Joel Quenneville behind the bench. I truly hope we don't go that route, but supporting his reinstatement into the league is a line I would not cross. He blatantly prioritized winning over protecting his players from a predatory video coach. Instead of owning his mistake and seeking forgiveness, he continues to downplay his role with a farcical version of events that is disputed by the investigation and unsupported by any other person involved.

Joel Quenneville is asking you to believe that he was never told what actually happened and that he'd have done more if only he had known.

This claim strains any slight degree of credibility based on the investigation of the incident.

The investigation confirms that he was in the meeting where Jim Gary informed management what happened. While the exact words used were unclear, multiple sources make it clear that everyone was informed that Aldrich was making unwanted sexual advances toward at least one player and threatening to harm the player's career if he didn't give in.

Quenneville was brought into the meeting after the initial reveal of what happened and claims that 'he was told that an event happened without saying what happened.' he rememebred that it was about 'a coach doing something improper' and can't recall if the coach or player were named.

No one else interviewed describes it the way Quenneville does and no one else gives any indication that anyone was being vague. Multiple sources describe Quenneville as angry, concerned about 'upsetting team chemistry,' and stating that 'they could not deal with this issue right now.' Multiple sources indicated that Quenneville was informed of what happened between Aldrich and the player.

Quenneville is the only person interviewed who affirmatively claims that the meeting ended without a decision about how to handle the situation. Some people don't recall, while multiple sources indicate that the decision was made at that time not to report the issue to HR or legal until after the playoffs.

Quenneville's version is both self-serving AND unsupported by any other person interviewed. His details are directly contradicted by multiple people, including the individual who came forward to management to report the abuse.

But let's briefly concede that maybe he really didn't know what happened in that meeting and was just distracted and full of adrenaline since it took place right after a game.

The following day, Quenneville and Jim Gary (the employee who reported the abuse) had a 10 minute phone call. It was the only time in 2010 that the two of them spoke on the phone. Quenneville claims not to remember what they talked about and speculated that maybe they talked about a family member who had previously worked with Gary.

Really? Does that sound remotely believable?

You get called into an out-of-the-usual meeting, management intentionally keeps you in the dark about the improper conduct alleged by this employee, and then the next day you have a private conversation with this employee where it just doesn't come up? You literally never talk to this employee but just happen to talk to him the next day about an unrelated topic? You don't think to ask him what management didn't want you to know?

Spare me.

I don't remotely believe it. And even if I did believe it, the absolute best case scenario is that Quenneville didn't know because he actively made sure he didn't know because he didn't want the distraction. In the absolute best case scenario, he knew that his video coach was behaving improperly with a player, took steps to actively avoid what that conduct was, and then made an active decision to fully ignore it to focus on hockey.

My opinion of Quenneville is that he is a liar and a coward. I want him nowhere near this organization.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This is I think true, that guys go on this pod bc they know Strick won't go all Mike Wallace on them to make them look bad. Strick lets them tell their story. But Strick also I thought came across as more of an actual journalist than fanboy here.

He did a good job of generally asking relevant questions, prodding him to get more out, and largely giving him enough rope to hang himself. He gave Q chance to tell his side, but strick made honest effort to show the limits of Q's story without overtly trying to bury him. He gave him chance to acknowledge where he came up short, which Q basically didn't own up to. Q thought this would be puff piece and Strick I thought didn't allow that.
Your description is probably fair.

I still found Strick's questioning to be deeply lacking, but that is probably influenced by the fact that asking people questions then burying them with inconsistencies and conflicting evidence when their answers don't match reality is a fairly large part of my job.

Strick was absolutely closer to a legit journalist in this interview than some of his interviews in the past, but I didn't get the impression that he was well-familiar with the investigation or the specific facts that contradict what Q is selling.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Your description is probably fair.

I still found Strick's questioning to be deeply lacking, but that is probably influenced by the fact that asking people questions then burying them with inconsistencies and conflicting evidence when their answers don't match reality is a fairly large part of my job.

Strick was absolutely closer to a legit journalist in this interview than some of his interviews in the past, but I didn't get the impression that he was well-familiar with the investigation or the specific facts that contradict what Q is selling.
i think this is fair, but strick wasn't looking to cross-x him. he wasn't looking to bury him. that is job of attorney but not of guy like strick. he absolutely could have done what you would, but it wouldn't have served him. given his role, i thought he did good job of trying to get closer to truth (and i'm not generally big fan of strick).

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think I already said this but I think it was consensual until it benefited him for it to be something else. Please don't pull the bullshit of "sexual assault victims never lie" because you only believe that if you're a f***ing idiot. It happens all the time.
Yes, I understood the thing you said that makes you out to be a dickbag.

Giving the blind benefit of the doubt regarding consent to a registered sex offender who has been criminally convicted of using a position of power to have sex with a child and also has about a half dozen other known allegations of using his position of power to coerce people into sex is a dickbag position to take when your only reason for doing so is 'people lie all the time.'

Calling the victim the liar while misstating very basic facts of the allegations and investigation also makes you out to be a dickbag.

"I believe it was consensual, but then it somehow benefitted Beach to claim assault in 2010, and then Aldrich just so happened to actually be a sex offender who would go on to later assault other young hockey players in a similar way to how Beach described it in 2010" is certainly a position to take.

Last edited:

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think I already said this but I think it was consensual until it benefited him for it to be something else. Please don't pull the bullshit of "sexual assault victims never lie" because you only believe that if you're a f***ing idiot. It happens all the time.
You realize the same guy later went on to sexually abuse a child right? That was after he received a "glowing letter of recommendation" from Coach Q too.

Reactions: Memento

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
You realize the same guy later went on to sexually abuse a child right? That was after he received a "glowing letter of recommendation" from Coach Q too.

Well, everyone involved refutes the claim of there being any letters of recommendations. Sooooo?

So if Beach really was raped what does that say about him, waiting so long to go public with the information when he knew the guy was working with kids?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Yes, I understood the thing you said that makes you out to be a dickbag.

Giving the blind benefit of the doubt regarding consent to a registered sex offender who has been criminally convicted of using a position of power to have sex with a child and also has about a half dozen other known allegations of using his position of power to coerce people into sex is a dickbag position to take when your only reason for doing so is 'people lie all the time.'

Calling the victim the liar while misstating very basic facts of the allegations and investigation also makes you out to be a dickbag.

"I believe it was consensual, but then it somehow benefitted Beach to claim assault in 2010, and then Aldrich just so happened to actual be a sex offender who would go on to later assault other young hockey players in a similar way to how Beach described it in 2010" is certainly a position to take.

What does it say about Beach, that knowing the guy went on to work with kids, still stayed silent instead of trying to bring to light what he did to protect the kids he was then working with? It does not make sense to me that he would be scared some nobody video coach could effect his career but some how interrupting and causing problems in a playoff run wouldn't?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What does it say about Beach, that knowing the guy went on to work with kids, still stayed silent instead of trying to bring to light what he did to protect the kids he was then working with? It does not make sense to me that he would be scared some nobody video coach could effect his career but some how interrupting and causing problems in a playoff run wouldn't?
It says that Beach was traumatized? Scared? Perhaps overcome with shame? That he was leery about "victim of sexual assault" defining how everyone viewed him? Literally everything about his story (including him perhaps misstating some details), from events leading up to the incident until today. is absolutely consistent with what you would expect from a victim of sexual abuse.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Well, everyone involved refutes the claim of there being any letters of recommendations. Sooooo?
It wasn't a letter of recommendation. It was a positive end-of-year performance review. much better obviously.

Oh yeah, but Quenneville can't remember whether he actually wrote it. He remembers writing similar performance reviews for other staff members, but he doesn't recall writing the one for Aldrich specifically.
It says that like the overwhelming majority of sex assault victim's (especially those whose initial report gets ignored), they want nothing to do with keeping in touch with their abuser. Why are you under the impression that Kyle Beach (who was tangibly and now-undisputedly banished from Blackhawks organization) would know what the hell happened to Aldrich?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I was already rooting for Toronto to beat Boston in the first round but now I’ll be cheering for the Leafs even harder. Because getting Montgomery back would be fantastic.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Strickland is a passionate guy, he just puts it into worshipping people who work in hockey so he can advance and be one of the guys. He has every ounce of energy that would be required to seek out and understand a moral situation like this, but that conflicts with what he is trying to do. You cannot be the top brown noser in all of sports chat and also have any real moral development. Smarm is permissive. Like, he would have to care before he tried.

Reactions: WaltPoddubny

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
JR gave Schenn a B+ grade for the year.

I’m convinced Schenn has blackmail pictures on everyone. He’s never criticized by the media or coaches.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Schenn doesn't deserve a B+, he was more of a low C high D.

He's been a great player in the league and he's fading. He still has moments but he doesn't drive anything. I'm very happy with his mentoring of Neighbours, it's like Schenn is downloading his whole hockey intention and approach into Neighbours, and it's kind of the best thing he can do at this point in his career. We have to rebuild a culture, it is actually crucial to do, and I think it should be this Schenn-Neighbours-old-school go to the net culture, and so he supplies that. As far as offensive output I have more like third line-ish production expectations for him.

A big part of the reason some players escape focus is that focusing on those players could be defensible in a vacuum, but in the overall context the Blues ship is not rising or sinking with Schenn. Not focusing on Schenn doesn't mean Schenn gets a pass, but it's just not the main issue, nor would focusing on getting Schenn off the roster solve the problems the Blues have. In a world where let's say the Blues have incredible luck and in 2-3 seasons they are going on a strong playoff run, I could see Schenn contributing on a team like that even at his later age. Obviously way overpaid in these later contract years, but money going to him is not blocking money going to other guys if they aren't spending to the cap.

Reactions: Drubilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad