Prospect Info: [2023 - 110th] Bogdan Konyushkov (KHL - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm not thrilled with the draft either, but this kid is a legit a #1 defenseman at 20 in the second best league in the world.
Tbh i mind the Newhook trade more than the Reinbacher pick. Really not a fan of this trade and hope Newhook will prove me wrong this year. At 22 he got to show something more than he did last year.

Reactions: Wats

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Tbh i mind the Newhook trade more than the Reinbacher pick. Really not a fan of this trade and hope Newhook will prove me wrong this year. At 22 he got to show something more than he did last year.
He’ll score 15 points in 27 games then have a season ending shoulder injury. That would be the luck we have.

• Haha
Reactions: Toene and Wats

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Interesting pick actually. Can’t find any tape on him but I would be interested to see. Producing that much as a rookie dman in the khl Is impressive. Want to see some game action but on paper I like the upside.

Reactions: SlafySZN

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Do we have room for him in the AHL?

Struble Mailloux
Trudeau ________
Norlinder Tourigny
Wideman, Beaudin, Schuneman

It wasn't because he was Russian that they didn't want Michkov.

From what we can read from the Mckeen guy, it looks like its a good pick, He's liked by Larionov and gets a lot of ice time in KHL. Better stay there for a while and give another contract spot.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
lol, 5'11" is a midget? Yet 6' is big? I don't get it.
main-qimg-e1c9836b09920df5b0ecf5aa9e509b78-lq

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Going to call it right now like like I did with Connor Crisps awful pick…

Even if is good he would have been available later there and someone draft with a few pick will blow up…

You don't sit on players in the 4th round because you think they might go later, you take the player that you have identified as the BPA and call it a day.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
It was said that the Habs wouldn't draft any russian.
Obviously not. It’s Russian fest. They’ll start playing the Katyusha renditions and hand out stacking Russian dolls of Caufield and Suzuki. Lol

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I know nothing about him besides looking at his eliteprospects for 2 minutes but my first reaction is that I'm kinda intrigued by the trajectory here.

He's 20 so he's a double-overager, and would have been 2021 draft eligible. In 20-21 he was playing in the NMHL (not the MHL, the NMHL, the tier 2 Russian U20 league), and then 21-22 in the VHL, 22-23 puts up 25 points as a dman in the KHL. That's a pretty crazy trajectory in 3 years, the North American analogy is going from the AJHL at 18 to the AHL at 19 to the NHL at 20.
Looks like we are targeting players around 20-22 years old who have been rapidly improving or have pedigree to be late bloomers. Dach, Newhook, Reinbacher who has been a riser, Xhekaj's brother who could also be a late bloomer if it runs in the family, this Konyushkov guy.

Clear strategy to build a group that will peak together in about 2-3 years and could contend for 10. Opposite strategy of Bergevin who got Tatar + Suzuki in the same trade for example, 2 guys from different eras.

Our obscure Russian annual pick. Who said Habs hated Russians ? LOL !

Larionov was his coach last season and gave him the most minutes on D even if he was the youngest. A RHD.. Have we found our future Markov ?
I am really hyped for this pick. Young guys rarely get quality ice time in the KHL so this guy must really be something.

Reactions: Natey

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Bogdan Konyushkov - Defense - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod (KHL)

When a player is undrafted a couple of times already and is in his last year of draft eligibility, it takes something special for him to finally get noticed. If we look at the basic stat line it looks good, but not too special for defenseman Bogdan Konyushkov, which is likely the reason there isn’t much mainstream talk about him outside of Russia, yet even just pure stats can be more interesting if we look at those closer and at the right angle. First thing that stands out in case of Konyushkov is that despite his age he made his KHL debut just this season and actually led his KHL team in average ice time, as his cerebral game on both ends convinced coach Igor Larionov to immediately give him an opportunity for a leading role on the team. And if we look at advanced stats, those are telling that this trust paid off really well, as Konyushkov is among the league’s leaders in both completed pass amount and percentage, as well as in the puck battle win percentage — quite a debut season I’d say. As a bonus Konyushkov is right handed, just in case if everything described above isn’t convincing enough yet about him potentially being a very intriguing prospect for the coming draft.

young dman leading a KHL team in ice time, for a HOF coach, is pretty good validation that the kid is a gamer.

interesting pick

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Just wanted to point out another positive of this pick: it probably means someone in the Habs organization hasn't totally forgotten about Dmitri... Um... Dmitri...?

(Kostenko)

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad