World Cup: 2022 World Cup Qualifying Part II

member 305909

I wonder will France continue the tradition of defending champions crashing out in the group-stage?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I wonder will France continue the tradition of defending champions crashing out in the group-stage?
The last time they won the WC, they had an abysmal group stage. Was it 0 goals in 3 games despite having 3 golden boot winners in their squad? Something brutal like that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The last time they won the WC, they had an abysmal group stage. Was it 0 goals in 3 games despite having 3 golden boot winners in their squad? Something brutal like that.
Yup. 3 posts too to be fair.
But that was at the time arguably the best team ever on paper.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yup. 3 posts too to be fair.
But that was at the time arguably the best team ever on paper.
I was actually wondering about this the other day while looking through past winners. Who is better on paper, the 98 winners or the 02 team ?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Easily the 02 team IMO.
Henry was best scorer in EPL, Trezeguet in Italy and Cissé in France. They had the best player in the world in Zidane behind them, Anelka, and still the crazy good defense, with Vieira as best DM in the world to help them.
First game was a huge upset against Senegal with a 1-0 defeat. Second game was Henry sent off after less than 30 minutes against Uruguay and Trez hitting 3 posts IIRC. And last game was a 2-0 defeat by Denmark.

member 305909

I hope that Argentina or Brazil wins this time. I mean I think it is time for a non-European country wins and I certainly wouldn't mind if Uruguay or SouthKorea wins but let's be realistic about which non-European countries can win.

Between Argentina and Brazil I would normally choose Argentina 9 times out of 10 but I think the adulation about Messi is so boring now that I don't want to see what it gets to if Argentina wins with him.

However, as I said, if it's Argentina instead of another European victory I can live with it.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Ticket portal reopened from now until the end of the tournament.

I only have a few windows left where I could squeeze in more games, and they're highly sought after. I want to try and get some of these:

Thursday 11/24 - Portugal v Ghana / Brazil v Serbia
Friday 11/25 - Qatar v Senegal
Saturday 11/26 - France v Denmark / Argentina v Mexico
Monday 11/28 - Portugal v Uruguay

I don't think I'll be able to which is a bummer...but we'll see. Still happy with what I've gotten and being able to see a match a day while I'm there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Maybe...I haven't quite figured out what I'll be doing when not watching football, haha.
Me neither. I'm thinking I will go to a music thing or two, do the tourist stuff, go to the World Cup Museum, and other than that chill on the beach.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Reactions: QuietContrarian

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Follow up...

Hope Harry stands his ground. If he gets reprimanded that's awful PR for Qatar and FIFA.
Instead of standing his ground with an armband he should get special rainbow shoes and full arms sleeves.

• Love
Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad