World Cup: 2022 World Cup Qualifying Part II

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Since the other thread was locked time to open a new one as we are in the home stretch of qualifying, up until the recent events this would have been the last window in most continents but now WCQ has been extended into June in some places

UEFA
Only the playoffs remain and we will know 2 of the 3 teams at the World Cup at the end of this window; Path A won't be decided until June as the Scotland-Ukraine match has been pushed back while Wales-Austria will go ahead; in Path B, Poland is in the final and will host the winner of Sweden/Czech Rep; in Path C we have Italy/North Macedonia and Portugal/Turkey. All matches this window will be played on March 24 with the finals being on March 29

CONMEBOL
Two rounds remain plus the rather meaningless makeup game between Brazil-Argentina which doesn't even have a date yet; Brazil and Argentina have qualified with Ecuador in decent shape to get a direct spot. Uruguay/Peru/Chile/Colombia fighting for the final 1.5 spots (5th place in CONMEBOL gets a playoff with AFC). Uruguay host Peru on the 25th which is a massive match and will pretty much decide the last automatic qualifier I feel. On paper, Chile have the hardest task playing both Brazil and Uruguay this window while Colombia have two winnable games but need results to go their way

CAF
Pretty simple format, five playoff matchups to determine who goes to the World Cup; matches to be played on March 25 & 29
Egypt vs. Senegal
Cameroon vs. Algeria
Ghana vs. Nigeria
DR Congo vs. Morocco
Mali vs. Tunisia

CONCACAF
Into the final three match window, Canada is in the best shape, pretty much needing a win to secure qualification as they go to Costa Rica, host Jamaica and then visit Panama on the final day; Mexico-USA play each other in the first match and the winner of that will feel comfortable in qualifying. USA is in decent shape too but their fixtures on paper are difficult having to go to Mexico and Costa Rica, their home game against Panama is essentially must win regardless. Panama and Costa Rica realistically are fighting for that playoff spot, while Panama have a trip to the US they have the slight edge as they play two home games against potentially unmotivated teams (their last match is against Canada who might be qualified by then)

AFC
We already know Iran and South Korea qualified easily from Group A, UAE/Lebanon/Iraq fighting for the AFC playoff spot; Group B is more intriguing as potentially a big name could miss out, Saudi Arabia have a four point edge on third place Australia with games against China (A) and Australia (H) upcoming, a win in China will be enough who are already eliminated. Japan visit Australia on the 24th and its pretty much a must win for Australia, if Japan get any result it should be good enough to qualify

OFC
This mini-tournament has been held in Qatar but its been ravaged by Covid, four games have already been cancelled and three teams all in the same group had an outbreak, not much other to say here, New Zealand is the heavy favorites and will face the 4th place CONCACAF team in June

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I thought about making a GWT thread for this window, this covers it all nicely!

Feeling incredible about Canada's chances and happy I bet on them to make the WC way back in 2018 lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Do or die time for the USMNT this upcoming Sunday. Barring a surprise three points at the Azteca on Thursday, it will all come down to that match.
It’s going to come down to the Panama game. Not this one

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think Portugal is in trouble. They have some injuries to Pepe and Ruben Dias. Joao Cancelo is suspended. They never make things easy for them. If they win I don’t think they’ll beat Italy.

Reactions: gary69

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Also FIFA announced despite some delays in qualifying they will still do the draw on April 1, the big news is the winner of UEFA Path A will be in Pot 4 which is bad news for either Austria or Wales who would have been in Pot 3 had their qualified (Wales even had some slim chances to move up to Pot 2). The big winners are South Korea who move up to Pot 3 while Canada is one step closer to going up (Nigeria is currently ahead of them for that last spot)

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Cameroon has problems though, some of their usual starting players (3 out 4 defenders) have not played at all after the ANC. And now the Onana accident. Algeria are favourites.
A key midfielder won’t be available too
And Onana as you said may not be ready mentally after his accident

But we’ll play in Japoma and its super crappy pitch, and historically we have beaten Cameroon only once and it was a friendly.
Even when we were loaded in the 80s, it was either a draw or a 1 goal loss lol

But we’ll see and hope for the best

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Also FIFA announced despite some delays in qualifying they will still do the draw on April 1, the big news is the winner of UEFA Path A will be in Pot 4 which is bad news for either Austria or Wales who would have been in Pot 3 had their qualified (Wales even had some slim chances to move up to Pot 2). The big winners are South Korea who move up to Pot 3 while Canada is one step closer to going up (Nigeria is currently ahead of them for that last spot)
So, South Korea already moved up to Pot 3? I thought they'd move up, once they beat Iran on Thursday.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think Portugal is in trouble. They have some injuries to Pepe and Ruben Dias. Joao Cancelo is suspended. They never make things easy for them. If they win I don’t think they’ll beat Italy.

Think you may be discounting Portugals youth and attacking abilities. Spain showed you can beat Italy on the counter and wreak havoc on the backline by using a high press. Italy has ancient CB's, no strikers and are clueless in the final third. I think Portugal is a team that can cause massive issues for Italy's MF and back line.

Of course, losing guys like Spinazzola and Chiesa is a massive blow to Italy's attack. I like Portugals chances which is good because most of us want to see Ronaldo in the World Cup.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Think you may be discounting Portugals youth and attacking abilities. Spain showed you can beat Italy on the counter and wreak havoc on the backline by using a high press. Italy has ancient CB's, no strikers and are clueless in the final third. I think Portugal is a team that can cause massive issues for Italy's MF and back line.

Of course, losing guys like Spinazzola and Chiesa is a massive blow to Italy's attack. I like Portugals chances which is good because most of us want to see Ronaldo in the World Cup.
I want to see Ronaldo in the Cup, but also Messi and Mbappe, the stars of Argentina and France, respectively.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Japan with two late goals in Australia means both they and Saudi Arabia qualify, Japan completely dominated too

Australia still have a lifeline as they will play in the 5th place playoff in Asia with the winners of that playing CONMEBOL 5th place team

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Does anyone know what happens to the Ukraine Scotland WCQ? I can’t imagine Ukraine playing with there country involved in a war.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Japan with two late goals in Australia means both they and Saudi Arabia qualify, Japan completely dominated too

Australia still have a lifeline as they will play in the 5th place playoff in Asia with the winners of that playing CONMEBOL 5th place team
Ugh - more Saudi Arabia at a WC...

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Does anyone know what happens to the Ukraine Scotland WCQ? I can’t imagine Ukraine playing with there country involved in a war.

It has been postponed until June, no idea what happens if this continues at that time though, UEFA/FIFA tend to simply give walkovers so Scotland would go to the final

Reactions: Islesfan22

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It has been postponed until June, no idea what happens if this continues at that time though, UEFA/FIFA tend to simply give walkovers so Scotland would go to the final
I'm curious what a team would look like comprised of Ukrainians out of Ukraine only. Here's a quick list of players called up in the last year

GK
Andriy Lunin

Def
Eduard Sobol
Taras Kacharaba
Vitaliy Myolenko
Bohdan Mykhaylichenko
Artem Shabanov
Oleksandr Zinchenko

MF
Andriy Yarmolenko
Ruslan Malinovskyi
Viktor Kovalenko
Oleksandr Zubkov
Ihor Kharatin
Yevhenii Makarenko
Yevhen Konoplyanka
Marlos
Roman Bezus
Bohdan Lyednyev

FW
Roman Yaremchuk
Danylo Sikan
Junior Moraes

I don't claim to know enough to have an idea how this team would do and it's certainly missing depth at the back end. And obviously there are other issues other than just calling up a squad, but in theory, it's at least somewhat possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad