OT: 2022 Winter Olympics Thread

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Even though Facebook managed to ruin the outcome for me, I’m still looking forward to watching the British team with gold in Curling when I get home from work.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Congrats to the Finnish members of this board! It's been a long time coming for your Olympic goal.
Thank You!

Kinda knew this was coming with the NHL opting out lol. But it still feels goooood! :nod: Jukka Jalonen is the GOAT!

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Well coach Jukka Jalonen wins olympic gold. He was who I'd have wanted to replace Bednar. I guess we aren't doing too shabby either, so I won't complain until we melt in the playoffs again.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean it doesn't really mean that much in hockey terms because we know the lack of quality, but Olympic gold is always a nice thing no matter what the sport.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
God bless the Finns.

iu

Reactions: Bonzai12

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Are you guys super into this Olympics? Just curious. I watched the opening night ceremony and I haven’t turned it on again (was so incredibly disgusted by the political messaging). I read about the Russian skater - and my heart breaks for that girl being only 15 and going through this hell. I don’t doubt that she took the enhancers but I 100% have compassion for her being so young and naive to this all (and having to bear the brunt and be the face of all this controversy - while her coach skates relatively free of criticism).

I’m just curious if you guys see these games as just awesome or super to watch? I think they’re the worst version I can ever remember. I can’t wait for them to be over with.

Ratings are so bad you aren't alone. I watched none as well and I'm glad the NHL didn't go. I much more enjoy regular NHL action than a long break with a lot of really bad games. Yeah the best on best sounds good in theory but it's a total crapshoot who wins anyways with only 3 or 4 games really meaning anything. Even worse is the women's side where one game every four years means everything.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ratings are so bad you aren't alone. I watched none as well and I'm glad the NHL didn't go. I much more enjoy regular NHL action than a long break with a lot of really bad games. Yeah the best on best sounds good in theory but it's a total crapshoot who wins anyways with only 3 or 4 games really meaning anything. Even worse is the women's side where one game every four years means everything.
That's a weird take considering that all it takes is a fall or even a small slip to decide the gold or sometimes even being out of the medal round in other sports.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Considering US hockey talent is purportedly the deepest it’s ever been I would’ve loved to send the ‘Chellers & ultimately get our hearts ripped out by Canada the last 2 games. But, that’s me.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
That's a weird take considering that all it takes is a fall or even a small slip to decide the gold or sometimes even being out of the medal round in other sports.

It's not a weird take, just observing what is true. Best on best makes it sound like it's some sort of proof of who deserves being the best but it's hockey so once you get to the very best teams it's mostly luck who wins. Canada has had the best team every time the NHL has played and has won it only twice, once in OT. Made for great drama but ultimately it was a one game crapshoot.

Luck will be important in all but I'd like to see a World Cup format with teams at least playing a 3 game series like we have seen before to decide champions at the least, if not other levels too. If necessary start the preliminary rounds when the Stanley Cup Finals are running, players on two teams might not make it to the World Cup but I don't think they will lose their minds over it. Play it when most players are just off their season so they had a short break but aren't in preseason mode. Do it during a year when the Soccer WC or Euro tourney arent going so you get lots of eyeballs on it. That's how you get a great WC event that builds the sports of hockey. For the Olympics make it a juniors event with a limited number of veterans.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really enjoyed the team aspects and mixed competitions that they added to these games. It was great to see individual sports like speedskating or Biathlon get that extra level of intensity where you have to rely on everyone's individual skill to bring home the gold.

Nonetheless, the snowboarding halfpipe is by far and away the best. That Japanese dude went nuts, did the hardest move in the sport and judges did him dirty. He comes back on his final run, does the same move again nailing it, and then properly winning gold. Sad to see White go out the way he did, but at 35 you can tell he was behind the back-foot against this next generation of elite talent. The time difference though, holy smokes it sucked. I was utterly confused when things went live or when they were on tape-delay, or if it was a straight up repeat.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It's not a weird take, just observing what is true. Best on best makes it sound like it's some sort of proof of who deserves being the best but it's hockey so once you get to the very best teams it's mostly luck who wins. Canada has had the best team every time the NHL has played and has won it only twice, once in OT. Made for great drama but ultimately it was a one game crapshoot.

Luck will be important in all but I'd like to see a World Cup format with teams at least playing a 3 game series like we have seen before to decide champions at the least, if not other levels too. If necessary start the preliminary rounds when the Stanley Cup Finals are running, players on two teams might not make it to the World Cup but I don't think they will lose their minds over it. Play it when most players are just off their season so they had a short break but aren't in preseason mode. Do it during a year when the Soccer WC or Euro tourney arent going so you get lots of eyeballs on it. That's how you get a great WC event that builds the sports of hockey. For the Olympics make it a juniors event with a limited number of veterans.
But a lot of sports in the Olympics have only one chance to win as well be it in their quarter-finals, semi-finals or finals. Heck some of them only have one qualifying round and then the medal round and they also are best on best in their sport. Most of those sports are even more of a crapshoot to decide the winners than hockey. Most of them it only take a fall, slip or another competitor to bump you to take you out of the medals.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Didn't bother watching much of the Olympics this year. I just can't get into them like I used to. Even short track kinda let me down.

The debacle surrounding figure skating was a travesty on so many levels, but I suppose when ROC is backed by a guy willing to start World War Three and has the nukes to back it up, I guess I can see why they'd wilt under pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad