OT: 2022 Winter Olympics Thread

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Women's hockey has been alright so far if you're watching USA out Canada dominate. Denmark vs China wasn't very exciting

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Why do they have a woman’s tournament? Just make a gold medal match between USA and Canada. No other nation is remotely close.
So the other teams get a chance to play. It aids development, not only for those players, but to drum up support for the systems back home.

Also, so the US and CAN squads get a chance to play against someone other than each other. Tune up games, etc.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Why do they have a woman’s tournament? Just make a gold medal match between USA and Canada. No other nation is remotely close.

money-mr.gif

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Same can be said about a lot of Olympic sports. It's a huge honor to represent a country in the Olympics and even receiving an Olympic bronze would be a lifetime achievement for many.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This by the way also lines up with a big increase in coverage of the two teams by CAN/US media like Sportsnet. As a European it feels absurd to listen to a 30-minute segment on the women's game when there's zero interest or chance of success elsewhere. But I guess it's good that it's happening there at least.

Reactions: Alienblood

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Does anyone have Team Canada’s lines?

My buddies brother made the team and I’m intrigued to see where they have him slated to play.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
F*** the Olympics and I hope everything bad happens to China. I hope every athlete files a complaint and the world gets to see what an awful regime rules that moronic country.

Reactions: Richard88

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not like other ones exactly nailed any Marxist ideals.
Not really. Some attempts came closer that others, and Mao was pretty hell bent on getting it right, but after he died and China abandoned communism, that's when they started to become a world power.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
China is communist in name only, really. They have more billionaires than we do, that's hardly something Marx would have approved of. They're basically state-run capitalism with a massive helping of authoritarianism. Still bad, but not at all communist.
I to expand on what you said this is a pretty good video

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Without NHL players I wish they would’ve just taken 100% college players. I know the team is comprised of 90% ish college players but IMO they shoulda just gone all the way. There are some college players who are having tremendous seasons that didn’t get the invite but yet they have some AHL and overseas plugs on the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
China is communist in name only, really. They have more billionaires than we do, that's hardly something Marx would have approved of. They're basically state-run capitalism with a massive helping of authoritarianism. Still bad, but not at all communist.
I hope every last one of those people that supports the country's rulers loses everything they have.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've seen a few women's games and the difference between the North American teams and everyone else is astonishing. It's not even that they're slow, they all just look... unresponsive. You watch NHL hockey and there's always pressure on the puck, the person with the pick is always moving and their targets are always moving, the women just don't do that.

Still looks better than women's football though.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
US got goalied last night. 2 goals on 53 shots to Canada's 4 goals on half that many shots. US also went an Avs like 1/6 on the PP, while Canada went 1/1 and also scored on a penalty shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad