GDT: 2022 Winter Olympics - Ice Hockey

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Team Italy was coached by Greg Ireland at the Olympic qualifiers (must have been a flag mix-up).

On the IIHF men's rankings, Italy is 17th.

Italy has a task ahead of them. Their national team is made up primarily of guys from the AlpsHL & ICEHL. Strong, although not elite European leagues like the SHL, KHL, etc. Even if they attract some North Americans with Italian heritage (and they did in 2006), they'll get punished by their lack of depth.

Italy will probably consider some kind of residency program. Keep guys together for months or years to get ready, instead of relying solely on talent.
Italy shoul also consider the fact the expand hockey in every part of the country. I mean: we play hockey in 2-3 regions...not amazing...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Italy shoul also consider the fact the expand hockey in every part of the country. I mean: we play hockey in 2-3 regions...not amazing...
Italy, to my understanding, has a huge economic divide between the north and south, which is probably at the root of a lot of it. Hockey is an expensive game.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Italy, to my understanding, has a huge economic divide between the north and south, which is probably at the root of a lot of it. Hockey is an expensive game.
Consider that, during the summer, in the south of the country we have, sometimes, problems with water...So it's impossible to even ask to build an ice palace there.
But in my region and in my city, where the 2006 Olympics took place, hockey is 0 or so. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad