GDT: 2022 Winter Olympics - Ice Hockey

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

For a generation that has grown up with the Hollywood version of the real deal, it may seem like a fair question. But for those who have seen the strides the United States has made over the past four decades since the U.S. won gold on Olympic ice in Lake Placid, N.Y., it can elicit a “here we go again” eye roll.
To be clear, USA Hockey is no longer in the miracle business. And no matter what the pundits back home may say on a podcast or tweet or post on their blogs, this team is not here to be a speed bump for the big boys on their way to the gold-medal game. This team is here because they expect to win. Not a game, not a group, but the whole thing.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

"Bing Dwen Dwen started talking. I was so disillusioned," said one comment on Weibo, China's Twitter-like platform. Others agreed, calling the voice "disgusting" and saying they couldn't finish watching.

Olympic mascot's voice reveal draws unwanted attention in China - The Mainichi
Organizers are going out of their way to protect the secret identity of the mascot, denying the incident ever happened.
"It's a lie (that Bing Dwen Dwen spoke)," and "When did (Bing Dwen Dwen) ever speak?," were the responses fans got when they commented on the official Beijing Olympics Douyin account, regarded as the Chinese version of TikTok.

Reactions: JoVel

BoltsFanSinceDay1

Apr 27, 2019
With that goal tender interference challenge and the resulting PP, got me thinking.

Do the Olympics have the same off sides rule that the NHL recently changed?

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
...that said, I will totally support when Espo and @Fabiobest team up for Italy in 2026

M5xrL4A.png
It would be a dream to have Phil in "our organzation".
But I think our team will su* hard, so... xD

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Quinn is such a terrible coach. The same genius who thought Namestnikov would be good playing next to Cody McLeod on a 4th line has Steven Kampfer on the 1st pp unit :ha:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Laughably bad PP most of the tournament(especially without Sanderson). Coaching was awful, and how the **** do you leave your best offensive player out of the shootout?? Quinn is quite terrible(also didn't play Brisson one second of ot). I liked the younger, faster approach, but maybe a couple of guys with more size could've helped, and they definitely needed another solid PP QB in case Sanderson was out. Very disappointing though that they didn't even get to play for any color medal. Shootout attempts were also pathetic. U S. is now 0-10 in 2 QF shootout losses in the last two Olympics, which is a disgrace

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
So Finland faces Slovakia in the semi finals unless they choke this game in the final 10 minutes. Not getting overly confident yet but at least a place in the Finals is 100% within reach here.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It would be a dream to have Phil in "our organzation".
But I think our team will su* hard, so... xD
Team Italy was coached by Greg Ireland at the Olympic qualifiers (must have been a flag mix-up).

On the IIHF men's rankings, Italy is 17th.

Italy has a task ahead of them. Their national team is made up primarily of guys from the AlpsHL & ICEHL. Strong, although not elite European leagues like the SHL, KHL, etc. Even if they attract some North Americans with Italian heritage (and they did in 2006), they'll get punished by their lack of depth.

Italy will probably consider some kind of residency program. Keep guys together for months or years to get ready, instead of relying solely on talent.

Reactions: Fabiobest

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
To the Final it is! A little bit (and by little I mean lot) closer than it probably should've been, but a win's a win.

Hoping Sweden can take down Russia. While Finland has a long long history of beating Russian stars with clearly inferior rosters, Shipachev, Gusev and co. are a scary group and if they're on their game... it's a tough ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad