WJC: 2022 Team Russia roster talk

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Didn’t I read somewhere that they were smoking cigarettes? Was it only E-cigs? I’m not saying that’s what they should be doing on a plane, but it’s completely normal that 18-19 year old kids smoke E-cigs. It’s not like these guys are chain smoking a box of cigarettes on a plane.

It doesn't matter. Canadian rules are smoking or vaping on a plane in Canada is an automatic fine. Nobody was fined means officials didn't see anyone smoking or vaping. Everything else is just rumors.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It doesn't matter. Canadian rules are smoking or vaping on a plane in Canada is an automatic fine. Nobody was fined means officials didn't see anyone smoking or vaping. Everything else is just rumors.

I agree. I’m merely making the point that it should’ve initially been clarified that they were smoking E-cigs as there’s a different context that can be attributed. I’m not saying the context is good, but it’s a relevant enough one that it should be clarified.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The Karen is the person who was tweeting on the plane. She admitted that the cops told her not to film anything meaning there was nothing to record prior to cops getting on the plane. No officials saw anyone smoking or vaping, this information or i should call rumors were spreaded by Karen as well otherwise Russians would have been fined up to $5k according to rules in Canada.

So wait...

She says she had her phone out but police told her not to film? Wouldnt the big disturbance be occuring before the cops arrive? They were called for a reason. Why didn't she film that? She had her phone out supposedly.

And bringing drinks on flights and smoking will get you arrested, yet nobody was arrested or even fined?

Something doesn't add up.

Something obviously occured, but this Karen is likely sensationalising things to get followers on twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: wacko2

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
So wait...

She says she had her phone out but police told her not to film? Wouldnt the big disturbance be occuring before the cops arrive? They were called for a reason. Why didn't she film that? She had her phone out supposedly.

And bringing drinks on flights and smoking will get you arrested, yet nobody was arrested?

Something doesn't add up.

Something obviously occured, but this Karen is likely sensationalising things to get followers on twitter.

Yep, her story doesn't add up. Russians smoked, vaped, didn't wear masks but she just couldn't film it. Typical.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The Russian junior team is living up to every stereotype of Russia. It's just like 2011.

2011: Rowdy Russian hockey champs kicked off flight

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. -- Russia's gold-medal celebration went into overtime. And that prevented the jubilant participants from boarding their flight Thursday morning, a day after they won the world junior hockey championship.
About 30 members of the Russian contingent were asked to get off a Delta Air Lines flight from Buffalo to Atlanta after boarding for takeoff early Thursday morning, an airport spokesman said.
After players and managers spent the day at the Days Hotel across the street -- where a front desk clerk said they were "sleeping it off" -- a team spokesman said the group would fly out in two groups Friday.
A tired-looking Mikhail Zislis, the team's media officer, was getting little rest, though.
"I cannot sleep because everybody in Russia is calling me asking me what's going on," Zislis said inside the hotel lobby

Congrats to Sergei Zubov and Russia! Very classy.

Every other team can get home without being kicked out off of an aircraft. Even better were players lighting up!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
No one should get a pass on bad behavior or flaunting the rules, but it struck me that the good Doctor's claim that the boys weren't responding to the flight attendant's instructions might likely have at least something to do with what language they were speaking in. All of these guys aren't necessarily multilingual scholars, so maybe if they were speaking English or French to a group of Russian-speaking teenagers, maybe that didn't connect?

Reactions: Mach85

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No one should get a pass on bad behavior or flaunting the rules, but it struck me that the good Doctor's claim that the boys weren't responding to the flight attendant's instructions might likely have at least something to do with what language they were speaking in. All of these guys aren't necessarily multilingual scholars, so maybe if they were speaking English or French to a group of Russian-speaking teenagers, maybe that didn't connect?
I recommend all to read what Russian players & Zubov said after landing in Moscow today. Literally, they had no idea what is going on in plane. And another message, the rules for wearing a mask is sooo strict in Canada (comparing to what they are used to at home)

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
I recommend all to read what Russian players & Zubov said after landing in Moscow today. Literally, they had no idea what is going on in plane. And another message, the rules for wearing a mask is sooo strict in Canada (comparing to what they are used to at home)

It sounds exactly like that. Lots of confusion and mess. Poorly organized transportation. When you place noisy teenagers with no English on the same plane as privileged business class travelers the conflicts will likely arise. I think Air Canada just decided to calm everybody down by reducing number of players on the same plane, which is actually the right thing to do. This is all on IIHF and Hockey Canada for poorly organized transportation. You will see that Russian WJC next year will have properly chartered planes for all teams.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
This is all on IIHF and Hockey Canada for poorly organized transportation.

^Typical response... Somehow Team Finland got on the same plane without any problems? So, if Russians cant behave and get thrown off the plane its Hockey Canada and IIHF to blame? :D :D :D

Reactions: Gold Standard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad