Speculation: 2022 Tank Thread

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Too much young talent already in the roster to realistically tank for a top 3 pick next year. I guess you could if you really wanted to, but it would take some aggressive tanking.

There's a big gap between missing the playoffs and actually finishing dead last

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Too much young talent already in the roster to realistically tank for a top 3 pick next year. I guess you could if you really wanted to, but it would take some aggressive tanking.

There's a big gap between missing the playoffs and actually finishing dead last
Well they are 2-8-1 (I think) since trading Lindholm/Manson.... I don't think we are getting much this off season and there's not a chance we get a player of Lindholm caliber.

Last edited:

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Well they are 2-8-1 (I think) since trading Lindholm/Manson.... I don't think we are getting much this off season and there's not a chance we get a player of Lindholm caliber.
We're like $20 million below the cap floor for next year. You could fill that without adding NHL quality depth that this current roster lacks, but you'd have to really work at it

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We're like $20 million below the cap floor for next year. You could fill that without adding NHL quality depth that this current roster lacks, but you'd have to really work at it
Yeah I think they will take 2-3 depth players but they aren't going to move the needle much.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Not to mention even farther below if Gibson is moved. I have a feeling Verbeek may weaponize some of that cap space and take on short term cap dumps/overpaid players and try to flip them for more assets at the deadline.

How does cap floor work by the way, does a team need to be at/above it all year or if they sell at the deadline and fall below, are they penalized then too (I think it's not being part of profit sharing)?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
tank-fail.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Tactical Quack

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
BUF has been on a heater, the potential for the nine slot has opened up again, would still probably say the 10th pick is where they end at. The game against San Jose will be the deciding factor it seems.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Red wings and Columbus both win, so there is still an outside shot of picking better than 10th and are pretty much guaranteed no worse than 11th.

San Jose plays Vegas tonight.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I pray the ducks lose out and everyone else wins out. I really want jireck or nemec. I know they won’t land that far down but every spot higher helps

Rationally I want the Ducks to lose out and get the #9, but emotionally I can't cheer for us to lose and especially tonight. Ideally we win out and either Jiricek falls to us or we win the lottery :laugh:

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's quite possible we lose the last two on the road especially with no Getz. But they have to win tonight, or at least everyone who's a fan should be rooting like crazy for them to do so. Who gives a crap about 1 draft spot or 1% or whatever higher percentage shot at the #1 pick.

No chance we finish lower than 11th, which gives us a shot at a top 2 pick, however small it is. The odds don't get much better even if we move up a spot or two.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Static

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I pray the ducks lose out and everyone else wins out. I really want jireck or nemec. I know they won’t land that far down but every spot higher helps

Rationally I want the Ducks to lose out and get the #9, but emotionally I can't cheer for us to lose and especially tonight. Ideally we win out and either Jiricek falls to us or we win the lottery :laugh:

I want Jiricek on the Ducks so badly lol.
Imagine that big shot from the blue line on the PP instead of muffin shots we are so used to lol.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Imagine that big shot from the blue line on the PP instead of muffin shots we are so used to lol.

I was at the game and really wanted a win, but with the last two games on the road and a busy week at work, I'm hoping we lose out and Buffalo and Detroit can pass us. That would give us a shot at him... maybe.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Wow Vegas really choked. Sharks tied the game with 0.9 seconds left and then won in a shootout.
It's probably being overstated what that did to their playoff chances. With the extra point they'd still need to beat Dallas in regulation and then do better against the Blues and Blackhawks than they do against us and the Coyotes. This doesn't really change that, just gives Dallas and Nashville a bit more margin of error.

But good lord is that massive for our draft position. All but locks up that we're in a top 10 spot pre lottery. Hopefully the Sabres can keep it up and even the Red Wings have a decent shot at leapfrogging.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

I think he'll be gone by 5th pick the latest. He's going to play in the WC likely so any worries about his injury will be gone and he gets to play against NHL talent and show how good he is.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Buffalo has the tie breaker and Detroit has the second tie breaker assuming they get a RW in a tie situation with them.

Assuming the Ducks lose out I would say they have a really good shot at being 9th, with an outside chance of 8th.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Buffalo has the tie breaker and Detroit has the second tie breaker assuming they get a RW in a tie situation with them.

Assuming the Ducks lose out I would say they have a really good shot at being 9th, with an outside chance of 8th.
I think they can even snag 7th if Ottawa wins their remaining 3 games and the Ducks get only 1 point in their last 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad