Speculation: 2022 Tank Thread

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
If the season ended today, we'd be picking 11th. Realistically, the lowest we could probably finish is 9; San Jose is 3 points back with 3 games in hand and Detroit is 4 back with 2 games in hand (though we hold the primary RW tiebreaker, so the Red Wings really need to make up 5 points, and their schedule is brutal down the stretch). The game up in San Jose on the 26th is probably gonna flip some lottery balls.

This thread could be used to track the final 2 weeks of the Atlantic Division standings, which has big implications for the first rounder from Boston depending on the opening round matchup the Bruins get.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Not sure how much they can tank for the remainder of the year. They're almost guaranteed to finish between 9 and 11 in the draft order pre-lottery balls.

Reactions: Arthuros

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I dont think they can really change their draft position all that much at this point. Maybe a spot or two?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If the season ended today, we'd be picking 11th. Realistically, the lowest we could probably finish is 9; San Jose is 3 points back with 3 games in hand and Detroit is 4 back with 2 games in hand (though we hold the primary RW tiebreaker, so the Red Wings really need to make up 5 points, and their schedule is brutal down the stretch). The game up in San Jose on the 26th is probably gonna flip some lottery balls.

This thread could be used to track the final 2 weeks of the Atlantic Division standings, which has big implications for the first rounder from Boston.
Regarding Boston, the main hope should be that they lose in the 1st round.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That's the biggest thing for sure but it'd also be nice if they could fall out of the top 10. They're currently 8th, Minny can overtake with their game in hand and Pittsburgh and St.Louis would be right on their heels. With outside chances the Capitals and/or Oilers could jump ahead. 7 of their last 10 are against playoff teams and the play the Pens and Blues twice each. Pretty massive games there.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Wrong, they are currently on pace to plate the leafs in the first round, so they win that then lose in the second, as that still doesn’t harm draft position. Also since tampa would be elsewhere below them on the bracket they can bump them down in draft order as well, if they go on another run.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not really a tank when there's almost no chance they can jump past picking 9th overall. there's just too many teams that are worse

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Wrong, they are currently on pace to plate the leafs in the first round, so they win that then lose in the second, as that still doesn’t harm draft position. Also since tampa would be elsewhere below them on the bracket they can bump them down in draft order as well, if they go on another run.
I rather Boston win and Leafs lose and drop a couple spots, some part due to Hampus but mainly because f*** the Leafs... it'd be so entertaining another 1st round exit. Well worth dropping a couple spots, at that point in the draft teams have who they like anyway there's no set list towards the end of 1st round.

Reactions: Paul4587

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
I rather Boston win and Leafs lose and drop a couple spots, some part due to Hampus but mainly because f*** the Leafs... it'd be so entertaining another 1st round exit. Well worth dropping a couple spots, at that point in the draft teams have who they like anyway there's no set list towards the end of 1st round.
It’s honestly like a yearly holiday for me, like I’m so fascinated to watch the leafs choke each year and then see the entirety of Toronto meltdown. Like I get more excited for it then Christmas. I consume large amounts of leafs content solely to build up the collapse and make it that much more cathartic. And I actually like some of their players, particularly Matthews, but it’s just too funny. Worst case scenario they play decent hockey and Matthews gets to go on a run.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It’s honestly like a yearly holiday for me, like I’m so fascinated to watch the leafs choke each year and then see the entirety of Toronto meltdown. Like I get more excited for it then Christmas. I consume large amounts of leafs content solely to build up the collapse and make it that much more cathartic. And I actually like some of their players, particularly Matthews, but it’s just too funny. Worst case scenario they play decent hockey and Matthews gets to go on a run.
Yep, I feel the same way about the Cowboys.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Agreed. f*** the Leafs. I take Boston winning the cup and us picking 32 over the Leafs winning that series. It shouldn’t matter though I would say whoever wins that series goes out in round two, Florida is absolutely stacked.

Reactions: Boccie29

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
I'll take the higher pick thank you. What the Leafs do or don't do doesn't matter to me in the least.
But the leafs losing that series doesn’t even necessarily harm the draft pick because it doesn't affect the order till conference finals.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Hopefully they implode again and decide they need to trade Marner or Nylander (to the ducks).

Reactions: DavidBL
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
But the leafs losing that series doesn’t even necessarily harm the draft pick because it doesn't affect the order till conference finals.
Even if Boston only has a 40% chance of beating Florida to go to the conference finals they have a 0% chance of doing it if they lose to the Leafs. I remember not being overly flustered by the result of the Sharks and Knights game 7 because Colorado could still take care of business, big mistake.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not much to tank, the teams valiant efforts in the first half have really separated them from the bottom dwelling teams. I’m fine with that. Top 10 will still get a very good player. Especially in this draft, which is pretty close from 3rdOA to 10thOA

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, I did too. The Eakins rumor makes it feel like the tank is on next year.
I mean after shipping the ufas out at deadline….. it was going to be a 2 off season process.

This year we willl grab pieces we can flip at deadline and hopefully add a piece or 2, to be part of the core moving forward… end up with another top 10 pick, cut the remaining fat out of the line up and hopefully start climbing back up in 2024

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad