WJC: 2022 Sweden Roster Talk

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't think any forward on this team is going to have much success in the NHL. Except for Lekkerimäki and Öhgren. Those two haven't been good either but will learn eventually.

Stakkestad has been the best forward and he's not even drafted.

What exactly do you expect from Lekki and Ohgren ? they are still eligible for 2 more WJC after this one. Lekki is one of the youngest players in the tournament and you can tell he isnt as physically developed as the 20 yr olds he is playing against. He just turned 18 less than a month ago and is 6 months younger than Ohgren.

I do not like the system that Sweden is playing. They are playing not to lose rather trying to win. Basically they are going to try and win the elimination games by a 2-1 score every game.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I don't think any forward on this team is going to have much success in the NHL. Except for Lekkerimäki and Öhgren. Those two have certainly not been good either but will learn eventually.

Stakkestad has been the best forward and he's not even drafted.
Lekkerimaki has even been softer and more perimeter than Lysell.

This team is underachieving in my books. Other teams have clear first lines that have stepped up and dominated, but Sweden looks like they are playing with 4 third lines.

Edvinsson has also not been as dominant as I was expecting. Hopefully he’s healthy for the medal round. Fortunately, the team has gotten an outsized contribution from Emil Andrae. Who had him down as Sweden’s top scorer? :laugh:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What exactly do you expect from Lekki and Ohgren ? they are still eligible for 2 more WJC after this one. Lekki is one of the youngest players in the tournament and you can tell he isnt as physically developed as the 20 yr olds he is playing against. He just turned 18 less than a month ago and is 6 months younger than Ohgren.

I do not like the system that Sweden is playing. They are playing not to lose rather trying to win. Basically they are going to try and win the elimination games by a 2-1 score every game.

It really does appear that coaching/system is the biggest problem. This team is not playing to their strengths.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Lekkerimaki has even been softer and more perimeter than Lysell.

This team is underachieving in my books. Other teams have clear first lines that have stepped up and dominated, but Sweden looks like they are playing with 4 third lines.

Edvinsson has also not been as dominant as I was expecting. Hopefully he’s healthy for the medal round. Fortunately, the team has gotten an outsized contribution from Emil Andrae. Who had him down as Sweden’s top scorer? :laugh:

Lekkerimäki looks exactly like Elias Pettersson did in his first tournament when he had just turned 18. Not worried one bit, needs to move his feet more and he’ll be fine.

Lysell is a different story. He has huge IQ issues that I’ve pointed out before, it’s never going to fly in the NHL. Same with Oskar Olausson. Rosén was a good gamble by the sabres, he’s still got all the talent but that doesn’t matter when he insists on shying away from all contact.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Lekkerimäki is just physically overwhelmed. He’s not playing his game.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Lekkerimäki is just physically overwhelmed. He’s not playing his game.

yes he is definitely physically overwhelmed which is to be expected being he just turned 18 yrd old vs 20 yr olds.

He will have plenty of opportunity to produce in this tournament in the coming years as he matures physically.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Lekkerimäki looks exactly like Elias Pettersson did in his first tournament when he had just turned 18. Not worried one bit, needs to move his feet more and he’ll be fine.

Lysell is a different story. He has huge IQ issues that I’ve pointed out before, it’s never going to fly in the NHL. Same with Oskar Olausson. Rosén was a good gamble by the sabres but he’s still shying away from all contact and not competing nearly hard enough.

Oskar Olausson has the frame and speed to make it in the NHL as a bottom 6er and a solid PK guy even if the IQ doesn't improve much. I don't think anyone can say the same of Lysell.

Reactions: McJedi

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Oskar Olausson has the frame and speed to make it in the NHL as a bottom 6er and a solid PK guy even if the IQ doesn't improve much. I don't think anyone can say the same of Lysell.

I see Olausson as a long shot. Love his skating and shot but he has no idea how to use his teammates. He’s also very careless with the puck and an awful checker. He’s able to do some good things at this level but there are just so many things that has to go right for him to become a regular NHL player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I see Olausson as a long shot. Love his skating and shot but he has no idea how to use his teammates. He’s also very careless with the puck and an awful checker. He’s able to do some good things at this level but there are just so many things that has to go right for him to become a regular NHL player.

Colorado has some guys that will be good for him to learn from. Olausson is probably a longer term project than fans would like from a 1st rounder but I'd wager he becomes a full time NHLer in 3-4 years. NHL lineups are teeming with lower IQ speedy guys. Hell, just look at Darren Helm's longevity.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To an outsider, I thought that Lyselll looked vg, and was a bit unlucky. Certainly one of the most talented players in the tournament, to me.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Edvinsson played through food poisoning vs. the US.

Anyway, I wouldn't say Stakkestad has been the best forward on the roster, Magnusson has overall played better, but I wouldn't say either has stood above the others.

Pretty much everybody on the team: forward to defense to goalie has some issue right now anx are playing below their standard. I wouldn't think too deeply into it as it's a summer tournament, and they're being led by Montén.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston

You don't think Lysell has the speed and workrate to be a bottom 6 NHLer?

Seriously?

He's looked like one of the best players on the ice for multiple games. His IQ woes are very overstated. Looked fantastic in WHL playoffs too.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
You don't think Lysell has the speed and workrate to be a bottom 6 NHLer?

Seriously?

He's looked like one of the best players on the ice for multiple games. His IQ woes are very overstated. Looked fantastic in WHL playoffs too.

Lyesell definitely has the speed but he lacks everything else.

He is so easy to keep to the outside and plays a very soft game.

He is Connor Garland if you order Connor Garland on Wish.

Been super disappointed in watching him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Olausson is a trade bait. Colorado's top 6 wingers are set for the next 3 years and they're in a win-now mode.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Demontén he Demonténate and Sweden has been Demonténated far to long.

Bring in a coach with pondus and the right energy. Calm but powerfull. Bring in Gandalf the blue and yellow! He knows all about when u shall pass and shall not pass. Also great at training goalies. Things he cant do with a stick aint worth knowing.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Saw my first full game of the tournament yesterday. Who's #21? He was reaaaaaally underwhelming.

Lekkerimäki and that other young dude looks way out of place. The D seems solid, except one guy who constantly put his teammates in bad situations, and its really obvious that Sweden lost its edge in terms of high quality talent up front

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
Saw my first full game of the tournament yesterday. Who's #21? He was reaaaaaally underwhelming.

Lekkerimäki and that other young dude looks way out of place. The D seems solid, except one guy who constantly put his teammates in bad situations, and its really obvious that Sweden lost its edge in terms of high quality talent up front

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad