WJC: 2022 Sweden Roster Talk

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Here comes the golden age now that the 01's are out the door?

Potential names:

Forwards:
Raymond
Holtz
Eklund
Niederbach
Nybeck
Olausson
Torgersson
Ekmark
Stenman
Ljungman
Robertsson
Dower Nilsson
Lysell
Stjernborg
Rosén
Persson
Strömgren
Magnusson
Hallén
Moberg
Bystedt
Östlund

Defensemen:
Grans
Andrae
Wallinder
Olsson
Edvinsson
Forsmark
Forsfjäll
Lööf
Styf
Johannesson
Nilsson
Kumlin
Salomonsson
Hävelid
Sjöholm
Jansson

Goalies:
Wallstedt
Clang
Vikman
Ollas
Posch

A brand new head coach. More than likely "meet the new coach, same as the old coach."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent Nilsson

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Something like

Raymond - Eklund - Holtz
Olausson - Niederbach - Torgersson
Persson - Dower Nilsson - Lysell
Rosén - Stjernborg - Robertsson
Stenman - Ljungman - Nybeck
Ekmark

Andrae - Grans
Edvinsson - Olsson
Wallinder - Forsmark
Lööf

Wallstedt
Clang
Vikman

sounds fun. Doubtful the players on that top line will be available(which is also why they're on the same line).

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Here comes the golden age now that the 01's are out the door?

Potential names:

Forwards:
Raymond
Holtz
Eklund
Niederbach
Nybeck
Olausson
Torgersson
Ekmark
Stenman
Ljungman
Robertsson
Dower Nilsson
Lysell
Stjernborg
Rosén
Persson
Strömgren
Magnusson
Hallén
Moberg
Bystedt
Östlund

Defensemen:
Grans
Andrae
Wallinder
Olsson
Edvinsson
Forsmark
Forsfjäll
Lööf
Styf
Johannesson
Nilsson
Kumlin
Salomonsson
Hävelid
Sjöholm
Jansson

Goalies:
Wallstedt
Clang
Vikman
Ollas
Posch

A brand new head coach. More than likely "meet the new coach, same as the old coach."

Doesn't Montén have a contract for next year as well?

I will miss a couple of D's from this age group, Söderblom and Henriksson who didn't play. The rest can be replaced very easily.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This looks like a very strong team.

Olausson-Niederbach-Raymond
Lysell-Eklund-Holtz
Stromgren-Dower Nilsson-Rosen
Torgersson-Stjernborg-Nybeck
Robertsson

Edvinsson-Grans
Olsson-Andrae
Wallinder-Havelid
Forsmark

Wallstedt
Clang
Ollas

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Doesn't Montén have a contract for next year as well?

I will miss a couple of D's from this age group, Söderblom and Henriksson who didn't play. The rest can be replaced very easily.
I could've sworn I've read/watched interviews with Montén mentioning this being his last WJC, can't find any now and the ones I've found repeat as you say; it ending after one more depressing year.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
I could've sworn I've read/watched interviews with Montén mentioning this being his last WJC, can't find any now and the ones I've found repeat as you say; it ending after one more depressing year.

oh Gosh my nightmare, if joel rönnmark took over.
another year to wait for the next WJC, sigh.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
oh Gosh my nightmare, if joel rönnmark took over.
another year to wait for the next WJC, sigh.

Not sure how much can be blamed on him. Either way, don't think he's one of the top candidates.

I'd like to see a more experienced coaching staff. Don't know how popular this job would be for an SHL coach though. Probably a bad career move and a good step down salary wise.

Last edited:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Wallstedt, Clang

Andrae, Johanesson, Grans, Wallinder, Salomonsson, Olsson, Edvinsson

Holtz, Eklund, Olausson, Torgersson, Niederbach, Raymond, Nybeck, Persson, Lysell, Robertsson, Ostlund, Rosen, Dower Nilsson

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
I think Sweden is the favourite for 2022.
Sweden sure is one of the contenders but i wouldnt say the favourite. Its doubtful that both Raymond/Holtz will be available for next year, also even though the defense is good, its weaker then this year, which in fact performed pretty bad even though they got 3 firstrounders. There is still question about the mentality of the players in "do or die" games and the coaching is also something not without problems.

Russia seems to be the biggest favourite (on paper) in this agegroup based on earlier tournaments, with Canada, Finland och Sweden just behind, USA seems to have the weakest agegroup of the Big 5 but only on paper though...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Would like to see
Olausson - Niederbach - Raymond
Lysell - Eklund - Holtz
Torgersson - Ljungman - Nybeck
Rosen - Dower Nilsson - Robertsson
Persson / Ekmark / Strömgren

Andrae - Grans
Edvinsson - Olsson
Wallinder - Salomonsson
Lööf

Wallstedt
Clang

As for the coach, I actually wouldn’t mind Hävelid. He isn’t great but he is a decent, realistic option. Rönnberg would obviously be ideal.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sweden sure is one of the contenders but i wouldnt say the favourite. Its doubtful that both Raymond/Holtz will be available for next year, also even though the defense is good, its weaker then this year, which in fact performed pretty bad even though they got 3 firstrounders. There is still question about the mentality of the players in "do or die" games and the coaching is also something not without problems.

Russia seems to be the biggest favourite (on paper) in this agegroup based on earlier tournaments, with Canada, Finland och Sweden just behind, USA seems to have the weakest agegroup of the Big 5 but only on paper though...

Defense is one thing on paper, very different thing in actual games. I find it hard to believe next years defense could be worse than this year.

I also wouldn't look too much into previous tournaments. They haven't used any underagers and they have been missing the top players. This team will look very different from top to bottom.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
As for the coach, I actually wouldn’t mind Hävelid. He isn’t great but he is a decent, realistic option. Rönnberg would obviously be ideal.

Nicklas or Magnus? Nicklas was just promoted by Linköping to be assistent coach but i think he will their headcoch, just a matter of time, so we can forget Nicklas.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Nicklas or Magnus? Nicklas was just promoted by Linköping to be assistent coach but i think he will their headcoch, just a matter of time, so we can forget Nicklas.

I was referring to Nicklas, but Magnus would not be too bad either. Not something I would like though, but better than Montén possibly.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I do think that Raymond, Holtz and Eklund are not NHL ready for next season. They need another year back home in Sweden or AHL.

Raymond - Eklund - Holtz (i become death, the destroyer of worlds)
Olausson - Niederbach - Nybeck
Rosén - Stjernborg - Lysell
Torgersson - Dower Nilsson - Robertsson
Strömgren

Andrae - Grans
Edvinsson - Olsson
Wallinder - Forsmark/Lööf/Hävelid/Styf/Sjöholm/Salomonsson/Jansson/ Johannesson

Wallstedt
Clang
Ollas

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Tournament is closer than one might think. 7 months away.

I had Kangas on my team but i gotta say Strömgren impressed more when it matters.

Robertsson is not gonna be a top player for this team, but he will do fine on checkingline.

Andrae, Grans, Edvinsson, Olsson and Wallinder are locks, the battle for 6 and 7 spot is gonna be intresting. Lööf signed with a team in Liiga. Styf is gritty and born 02. Forsmark and Hävelid have been among our best d in u18 wjc. Right now the 2 open spots are between those 4.

Do you guys think any 16/17 year olds might suprise and steal a spot?

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Some names not been mention yet that is flying under the rader:

Joel Nyström
Alexander Ljungkrantz
Linus Sjödin
Filip Barklund
Linus Lööf
Wiktor Nilsson
Andreas Nilsson
Martin Schreiber

All these guys already played quite many SHL games.

We have lots of depth. Could even throw out many more names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad