Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Can someone smarter about the cap than me tell me if this is gonna let Vegas escape their cap problems?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
What? No. what?
So subtract the ~$5m from the dadonov contract and then they gain $8m in buffer from Weber's LTIR for the regular season. They can't do anything super crazy because you can only go over 10% of the cap during the offseason. Right now, they're at $85m and need to sign Roy, Kolesar, Hague, Janmark, Smith, etc. So they're still kinda stuck right now but less stuck than before.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
the only thing I like about the trade is that it slightly increases the chances that VGK signs EK9 which i desperately want to happen for entertainment purposes

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So subtract the ~$5m from the dadonov contract and then they gain $8m in buffer from Weber's LTIR for the regular season. They can't do anything super crazy because you can only go over 10% of the cap during the offseason. Right now, they're at $85m and need to sign Roy, Kolesar, Hague, Janmark, Smith, etc. So they're still kinda stuck right now but less stuck than before.
I mean I guess? They didn't gain 13 million in cap space though.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
the only thing I like about the trade is that it slightly increases the chances that VGK signs EK9 which i desperately want to happen for entertainment purposes

Only if they win the cup while EK9 wins the Conn Smythe. Sharks fans have to apparently suffer through the near misses as well as more of the OMG WTF GTFO this is so dumb type situations before we're allowed to win a cup.

🎶 You take the good; you take the bad. You take them both, keep coming back... Shark4Life, Shark4Life... 🎶

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Seems pretty cut and paste. They offloaded the 5 million From Dad and now throw Weber's 7.9 on LTIR which they can do immediately.
They can’t do it immediately. LTIR is only during season so currently Weber’s cap hit is basically taking up all of that 10% cushion in the off-season.
That’s not really the way that works. His cap hit still counts towards the cap, they can just exceed the cap by his contract. If they are over the cap though, they don’t accrue daily cap space so while it helps them fit their current guys signed, it doesn’t help them with the guys not signed.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't know if JW had a chance to get Weber's contact for one of our bad ones. But I do suspect that if he did have an opportunity at this or similar, we wouldn't * have done it

Last edited:

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I’m not capologist; but as I understand it The VeeGeeKay will likely have enough room to sign their RFAs and, likely, none of their UFAs (Janmark and Reilly being the notable ones, and also mildly interesting from a Sharks perspective) but still be able to field a cap compliant roster.

Since Weber is almost certainly going to LTIRetire Vegas is going to be able to use that cap space to run over the cap with their opening day roster; maximizing that LTIR allowance just to field a complete roster (frankly, according to cap geek even that’ll be something of a shenanigan). They’ll be down a quality top 9 winger (Dado) and, due to the nature of LTIR cap overages, barring other players going on LTIR they’ll struggle to call up any players. Additionally, any trades will need to be at least equal money going out as coming in.

I’ve not looked at things close enough to understand how backed in to a corner Vegas is for the next 4 years with Weber’s contract. But from a quick glance, it looks like unless they have a few prospects ready to notably contribute at the NHL level, or barring another move, Vegas’ fortunes look very hitched to how successful Eichel is going to be there.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m not capologist; but as I understand it The VeeGeeKay will likely have enough room to sign their RFAs and, likely, none of their UFAs (Janmark and Reilly being the notable ones, and also mildly interesting from a Sharks perspective) but still be able to field a cap compliant roster.

Since Weber is almost certainly going to LTIRetire Vegas is going to be able to use that cap space to run over the cap with their opening day roster; maximizing that LTIR allowance just to field a complete roster (frankly, according to cap geek even that’ll be something of a shenanigan). They’ll be down a quality top 9 winger (Dado) and, due to the nature of LTIR cap overages, barring other players going on LTIR they’ll struggle to call up any players. Additionally, any trades will need to be at least equal money going out as coming in.

I’ve not looked at things close enough to understand how backed in to a corner Vegas is for the next 4 years with Weber’s contract. But from a quick glance, it looks like unless they have a few prospects ready to notably contribute at the NHL level, or barring another move, Vegas’ fortunes look very hitched to how successful Eichel is going to be there.
From what I’ve seen is they basically have 2M in cap space currently (maybe closer to 3) if the season started today.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like the trade because it makes Vegas worse. Dadonov may not be much more than a solid 2nd line caliber player but Vegas isn't getting anything back from moving him and they're not going to replace him with anything better with the room that they have here.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Can someone smarter about the cap than me tell me if this is gonna let Vegas escape their cap problems?

After the trade (and keeping Weber on LTIR), they have $5.2m available. (And need to sign/"call up" 4-7 more guys.)

TML pundit suggests Reimer for 5th. (And that Hill is the Sharks' presumptive guy going forward.)

Personally, I'd rather keep Reimer than acquire a 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad